Pud Remains Steady

Husker_x

I wonder if one of the experiences he's talking about is giving Callahan an extension after that first game.

"I think from my own experiences that overreactions generally cost you somewhere down the line," Pederson said. "And when you take a long-term view of things they generally work out.

Well he is finding out firing a coach that went 9-3 (No matter who the coach is ) was a overeaction and now it's most likely going to cost him his reputation and job.

And that's what it really comes down to, with all of this negativity and wailing and whining and wringing of hands . . . there is still a core of Solich supporters that are chomping at the opportunity to get even with Pederson for firing him. They are doing their level best to destroy this program as an act of revenge.

Pederson did the right thing. Solich was truly running the Huskers into the ground . . . his odd player relationships (remember the Crouch affair?) really didn't look good, and he couldn't recruit for beans. The old option offense lost its luster, everyone had learned how to defend it, and I don't think that Solich was too big on the idea of change.

Pederson selected a good, reputable coach, and that is where we are today. Pederson does not coach the team, and you have to look at all of NU's athletic programs before you continue to defame him. Nearly evey other athletic program is progressing very well, and that says something. And the football program will progress, too, if the mob can be held at bay.

And, please, stop calling him "Pud." That's childish and disrespectful.

GO BIG RED!!

The disrepct for Pederson has absolutely nothing to do with being a Solich supporter. It has everything to do with the fact that...

1. He gave the HC a year to "correct things" after going 7-7. The HC did what he had to do, fired some assistants that probably needed to retire, and brought in some young energy.

2. That HC went 9-3 and was fired. Very, very, very few programs in the country will fire a coach for going 9-3 after he made the required changes and improved the team.

3. Mr. Pederson decided to go on a "One Man" search for the new head coach. Most big time programs out there develop a search committee to bring in a new head coach to there #1 money making sport. It is just too important to leave to one man.

4. Said one man search turned into a total fiasco. Offering people all over the place and getting turned down. Remember Nutt???

5. Now, the One Man that Pederson found has been incapable of even matching the record of the HC that was fired after 4 years AND he gets an extension. Seems odd.

6. Rumors, and not just rumors, are all over the place about Mr. Pederson rejecting the former players --our tradition and probably one of our biggest recruiting strengths ('cause it sure isn't location).

Therefore, it has nothing to do with being a Solich supporter. It has strictly to do with the fact that Pederson came in a decided HE was going to put HIS mark on the program. He was going to do it HIS way, everyone else be damned. There is no act of revenge for Solich. There is strictly a bunch of pissed off fans because of one egomaniac.

again, great post, spot on with this one too.

What do the kool-aid drinkers have to answer that? What an awesome post.

I'm typically a 'kool-aid drinker', and I thought it was a good post. But this reminds me of the temporary joy when the former coach of Hickory who thinks he knew it all along when the townspeople decide to dismiss Norman Dale in the movie 'Hoosiers.' Look where that went. Just drinking kool-aid and supporting Nebraska doesn't mean people don't acknowledge problems and want answers for what is going on. Just remember that drastic changes will mean recruits decommitting, players leaving, programs changing, and it all starting over again. Hating and instant change, even if it may work out, isn't always as glamerous as it may appear.

Ok, I'll ask the obvious. What other sports are progressing? Volleyball was NC in 95' and 2000. The men's BB team won the Big 8 somewhere in the mid 90's. The men's baseball team was progressing very well long before Pudnocker (is that better?). So again, what athletic program at NU is progressing so well under Pudnocker? I believe the football program is the only one running in the black. It takes precedence over all other athletic programs because it foots the friggin bill for them. I don't care if our men's sword fighting team is top notch!

I was wondering how anyone could give any credit to Pederson for how the Volleyball team is doing. If your going to give credit for Volleyball that would go to Pettit for choosing a damn good coach as his secessor.

The baseball team was doing pretty before he got here to.

I wonder if one of the experiences he's talking about is giving Callahan an extension after that first game.

"I think from my own experiences that overreactions generally cost you somewhere down the line," Pederson said. "And when you take a long-term view of things they generally work out.

Well he is finding out firing a coach that went 9-3 (No matter who the coach is ) was a overeaction and now it's most likely going to cost him his reputation and job.

And that's what it really comes down to, with all of this negativity and wailing and whining and wringing of hands . . . there is still a core of Solich supporters that are chomping at the opportunity to get even with Pederson for firing him. They are doing their level best to destroy this program as an act of revenge.

Pederson did the right thing. Solich was truly running the Huskers into the ground . . . his odd player relationships (remember the Crouch affair?) really didn't look good, and he couldn't recruit for beans. The old option offense lost its luster, everyone had learned how to defend it, and I don't think that Solich was too big on the idea of change.

Pederson selected a good, reputable coach, and that is where we are today. Pederson does not coach the team, and you have to look at all of NU's athletic programs before you continue to defame him. Nearly evey other athletic program is progressing very well, and that says something. And the football program will progress, too, if the mob can be held at bay.

GO BIG RED!!

The disrepct for Pederson has absolutely nothing to do with being a Solich supporter. It has everything to do with the fact that...

1. He gave the HC a year to "correct things" after going 7-7. The HC did what he had to do, fired some assistants that probably needed to retire, and brought in some young energy.

2. That HC went 9-3 and was fired. Very, very, very few programs in the country will fire a coach for going 9-3 after he made the required changes and improved the team.

3. Mr. Pederson decided to go on a "One Man" search for the new head coach. Most big time programs out there develop a search committee to bring in a new head coach to there #1 money making sport. It is just too important to leave to one man.

4. Said one man search turned into a total fiasco. Offering people all over the place and getting turned down. Remember Nutt???

5. Now, the One Man that Pederson found has been incapable of even matching the record of the HC that was fired after 4 years AND he gets an extension. Seems odd.

6. Rumors, and not just rumors, are all over the place about Mr. Pederson rejecting the former players --our tradition and probably one of our biggest recruiting strengths ('cause it sure isn't location).

Therefore, it has nothing to do with being a Solich supporter. It has strictly to do with the fact that Pederson came in a decided HE was going to put HIS mark on the program. He was going to do it HIS way, everyone else be damned. There is no act of revenge for Solich. There is strictly a bunch of pissed off fans because of one egomaniac.

again, great post, spot on with this one too.

I'm typically a 'kool-aid drinker', and I thought it was a good post. But this reminds me of the temporary joy when the former coach of Hickory who thinks he knew it all along when the townspeople decide to dismiss Norman Dale in the movie 'Hoosiers.' Look where that went. Just drinking kool-aid and supporting Nebraska doesn't mean people don't acknowledge problems and want answers for what is going on. Just remember that drastic changes will mean recruits decommitting, players leaving, programs changing, and it all starting over again. Hating and instant change, even if it may work out, isn't always as glamerous as it may appear.

I think in order to get the fans back together their going to have to fire the one person that split the fan base apart.

Now if Solich would have stayed after the year he went 10-3 and had a terrible year say 5-6 no one on here would be whinning about him being fired.

The fans would have agreed

The media would have agreed

Big name coaches and coaches on the rise would have given Nebraska a look and might have been fighting for the job.

When you fire someone for doing their job 10-3 that sends a message that your expectation are out of whack and no one in the close nit coaching fraternity is going to like seeing that let alone want to go coach for that school.

GO BIG RED!!

Man, I want some of what your smoking. I want to live in this little fairy land. Wake up everymorning, be served breakfast in bed by 2 naked supermodels, watch the huskers win 100-0 hold the opposing O to -27 yards, pass for 9 td and run for 5. Have beer flowing freely out of my faucets then sh!t rose petals.

Are you related to Pud?

You can't keep a bad coach just because your afraid that some recruits might go somewhere else.

All that is doing is delaying the inevitable.

Pederson's two blunders (IMO) that continue to sink him more than hiring BC.

1. His "mediocrity" comment when firing Solich.

2. His not asking TO to be a mentor to NU Athletics in anyway and letting Creighton grab him instead.

The first is just plain stupid not knowing whether or not he'd even be able to back it up.

The second was purely egotistical and confirms an unrepetant stubborness that he - and he alone - knows what's best for Husker tradition.

HH

You can't keep a bad coach just because your afraid that some recruits might go somewhere else.

All that is doing is delaying the inevitable.

Well...then inevitably, make sure that you are ready for at least two years of bad recruiting, bad teams, bad personnel, bad scoreboards, etc.

It may be better, but it will almost will certainly be worse. Anyone you bring in has no ties to any part of the current team or current recruiting.

Sadly, Nebraska is no longer regarded as a great place to play. I agree coaches have shot that down over the past few years.

But you better be damn ready for seasons worse than 5-6 for a while. NU milked success off name and some talent for awhile to get some better talent in now. It just isn't being utilized. That will not happen the next time the chopping block comes around. Nebraska is not regarded as being 'significant' anymore. The big programs are still reeling them in, the small, popular programs are rising and making kids laugh at leaving the South. Thank ESPN for making the Big East the most overrated and most successful conference in the NCAA this year. Don't expect it to quit. The media exposure they rake in on Thurs. and Fri.'s are just turning them into a juggernaut that they simply are not...but the recruits LOVE it.

Tell me who is going to turn the recruiting around SO quickly, start recruiting SO quickly, make recruits listen SO quickly. I want to know. Because sending Cally off now starts the recruiting biz all over again.

...Sadly, Nebraska is no longer regarded as a great place to play. I agree coaches have shot that down over the past few years.

But you better be damn ready for seasons worse than 5-6 for a while. NU milked success off name and some talent for awhile to get some better talent in now. It just isn't being utilized. That will not happen the next time the chopping block comes around. Nebraska is not regarded as being 'significant' anymore. The big programs are still reeling them in, the small, popular programs are rising and making kids laugh at leaving the South. Thank ESPN for making the Big East the most overrated and most successful conference in the NCAA this year. Don't expect it to quit. The media exposure they rake in on Thurs. and Fri.'s are just turning them into a juggernaut that they simply are not...but the recruits LOVE it.

Tell me who is going to turn the recruiting around SO quickly, start recruiting SO quickly, make recruits listen SO quickly. I want to know. Because sending Cally off now starts the recruiting biz all over again.

THe problem with us appearing to be a poor place to play can only get worse if we continue to have 5-6 seasons without the "promise" of better things to come.

I don't see our current staff recruitting much better classes than they already have, especially with their growing perception as poor game time coaches or a place where tallent is wasted.

I think one of the points (mjmartin1970) was trying to get across, was that it's too risky to let "One Man" search for a coach who is going to "turn the recruiting around SO quickly, start recruiting SO quickly, make recruits listen SO quickly".