the 5-2 defense

JHaWk

Coz was recently heard stating that the spread offense is tough to defend against. Not true. The way to beat the spread is with the ol' 5-2 D. instead of covering all recievers, rush 5 down linemen and maybe a linebacker or two. This will stop the mobile QB and the run, and it can pressure the passing game. However, if the qb can get the pass off, the 5-2 crumbles most of the time. I think coz should have used it. Would it have worked?

I didn't mind the 3 down linemen idea for the Mizzou game. What I did mind was not making adjustments when it was obvious it wasn't working. We're so thin at DL already in terms of experience (which is why I liked the idea of a 3-4, we have more experience at LB) I'm not sure what personnel we'd use to rush five.

you would have to be in denial to think there is not significant dissention between some of the players and coaches on D. at the very least the kids have lost a lot of confidence in the coaches ability to scheme a good defense. coz is completely lost now, next we will see a 5-2 or some other wild sh#t on defense. he is screwed and he knows it, coz is simply sleep walking through the rest of the season, period.

Coz was recently heard stating that the spread offense is tough to defend against. Not true. The way to beat the spread is with the ol' 5-2 D. instead of covering all recievers, rush 5 down linemen and maybe a linebacker or two. This will stop the mobile QB and the run, and it can pressure the passing game. However, if the qb can get the pass off, the 5-2 crumbles most of the time. I think coz should have used it. Would it have worked?

Me and my brother in law were talking about the 5-2 the other night. If you can get more pressure on the QB, the coverage doesn't have to be airtight. If guys stand around in an 8 man zone, the QB will eventually find someone open if no one gets in his face. It could work, it could be a disaster too, I dunno. It's fun to speculate.

The common theme here is that you have to get pressure on the QB. You can't have a QB stand in the pocket 5 to 8 seconds because eventually coverage will break down and someone will be open. The reason the D in the glory years was so good was because we smacked the QB right in the mouth. We had some very good players in the secondary, but typically every year we had a frosh or really young player back there. You're exactly right, the coverage doesn't have to be great if the QB is throwing from his back!

I don't blame Coz for his ORIGINAL gameplan. I just think it's assinine not to change that game plan after Missouri matched down the field easily on their first drive. You have to be willing to make changes....and Coz is an arrogant SOB for sticking with something that obviously doesn't work.....just like the Texas Tech game years ago. He hadn't learned a thing.

But, I'm just regurgitating things that have already been said on this board.

The 5-2 only works when you have corners with the speed to do man coverage correctly. We changed our defense this year to a man coverage instead of a zone counting on putting pressure on the QB to stop the pass. Last night we lost 63-21 and put the opposing QB on Sportcenter as the number one play of the day for burning us for SEVEN td passes. Be careful what you wish for, it could always get worse believe me.

I didn't mind the 3 down linemen idea for the Mizzou game. What I did mind was not making adjustments when it was obvious it wasn't working. We're so thin at DL already in terms of experience (which is why I liked the idea of a 3-4, we have more experience at LB) I'm not sure what personnel we'd use to rush five.

Coz did make adjustments it's just that they don't work. lol. That was reported by a sideline reporter coming back from halftime of Missouri.

5-2 isn't a good defense against a spread offense. I would have liked to see us try a 4-4, utilizing Dillard as a rush end, or even allow him some short zone pass coverage. As well, if Culbert was played as one of the linebackers you could have actually schemed it to have him play pass coverage.

Out of the 4-4, I think with the right personnel, you have a lot more options to cover the spread offense, and can not sell your sole to get pressure on the QB.