Callahan - Oakland History Lesson

What BC accomplished with the Raiders was done with a Gruden built team.BC does ok with leftovers but he makes for dinner is not even worthy of gas station cuisine.

What he did with the Raiders is a lot like what Solich did with the '99 team, which fumbled like crazy all year, but was just a fumble away (at Texas) from being undefeated and in the national championship game.

As long as I've gone on this tangent, remember the '99 Big 12 championship game, when McBride sent the house time after time against Applewhite? I have that game on tape, and he rushed EIGHT guys at one point.

Gawd, wasn't it sweet to have a defense?

Raiders say goodbye to Callahan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jamal, Ray Lewis are players of year

The Associated Press

ALAMEDA, Calif. - Bill Callahan went from the Super Bowl to the unemployment line in less than a year.

The Oakland Raiders announced Callahan's firing Wednesday, just one season after he took the team within a victory of an NFL championship as a rookie head coach.

The team told Callahan a day earlier. He asked to delay the announcement because his son Brian's college team, UCLA, played in a bowl game Tuesday night.

Openly criticized by his players, Callahan went 15-17 over two regular seasons, including 4-12 this season, the Raiders' worst record since 1997 and the biggest drop by a Super Bowl team.

He was fired shortly after quarterback Rich Gannon criticized Callahan and offensive coordinator Marc Trestman for a bad offensive system.

Owner Al Davis is not known for patience with coaches. Callahan, who earned $1 million a season, completed the second year of a two-year contract, and Davis declined a series of one-year club options that could have kept Callahan in Oakland through the 2006 season.

Callahan, a seven-year NFL assistant with no previous head coaching experience, was promoted from offensive coordinator when Jon Gruden went to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after the 2001 season. Gruden's Bucs beat Callahan's Raiders 48-21 in the 2003 Super Bowl.

This season, though, the Raiders tied for the worst record in the NFL with the Chargers, Cardinals and Giants. They ended their season with a 21-14 loss at San Diego.

There was speculation for weeks that Callahan would be dismissed. Now the Raiders are the seventh NFL team without a head coach.

Here's an idea! Lets go find something that says Callahan sucks because I don't think anyone has posted anything that says Callahan sucks yet!!!!! :asshat

its just so painfully obvious I have to shout it to the world............and thanks for the :asshat

If it's so obvious you wouldn't have to shout to the world, the world would be able to see for itself in all it's obviousness (Word??). I'm glad that you can post an article from 4 years ago and think you're saying something that everyone hasn't heard yet. It's quite amusing.

I could have swore I saw the following.

The Associations Press

LINCOLN,NE. - Bill Callahan went from the Big 12 Championship to the unemployment line in less than a year.

The Nebraska Cornhuskers announced Callahan's firing Wednesday, just one season after he took the team within a victory of a Big 12 championship as a head coach.

The team told Callahan a day earlier. He asked to delay the announcement for the players.

Openly criticized by fans and the media, Callahan went 27-23 over 4 regular seasons, including 4-8 this season, the Husker' worst record since the 50's and the biggest drop by a Big 12 Championship team.

He was fired shortly after Huskerboard members criticized Callahan and defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove for a bad system.

Nebraska fans are not known for patience with coaches. Callahan, who earned almost a $1 million a season, completed the fourth year of a eight-year contract. The Huskers chose a buyout, so they could move on to next season.

Callahan, a 2 Year NFL head coach, was hired when Steve Pedersen decided that 9-win seasons were too good for Nebraska.

This season, though, the Huskers tied for the worst record in the Big 12 with the Cyclones amd Bears. They ended their season with a 210-14 loss at Colorado.

There was speculation for weeks that Callahan would be dismissed. Now the Huskers areexpected to announce Bo Pelini as their next head coach.