Good Luck with a new Coach

skoman

This is just something to think about. If Tom Osbrne is to be the next AD hwo does that affect finding a new coach.

If I was an up and coming young coach, or even one with alot of exprience, how would you look at this job.

Everyone is clamoring for TO to be your boss, you know the guy with the National Championships. Even if you do well you are always going to be living in the shadow of your boss. The current history is to fire one coach after a .750 winning percentage, because of a lack of progress (end of HC career for Solich). Now the second coach is in, with all of the NFL exprerience. And after four deacent, but spetacular years everyone wants him gone too (probably the ned of his HC coaching career). Yea I know everyone wants 11+ win seasons and Championships every year. But as that up and coming young coach, how would you look at this? just some food for thought.

This is just something to think about. If Tom Osbrne is to be the next AD hwo does that affect finding a new coach.

If I was an up and coming young coach, or even one with alot of exprience, how would you look at this job.

Everyone is clamoring for TO to be your boss, you know the guy with the National Championships. Even if you do well you are always going to be living in the shadow of your boss. The current history is to fire one coach after a .750 winning percentage, because of a lack of progress (end of HC career for Solich). Now the second coach is in, with all of the NFL exprerience. And after four deacent, but spetacular years everyone wants him gone too (probably the ned of his HC coaching career). Yea I know everyone wants 11+ win seasons and Championships every year. But as that up and coming young coach, how would you look at this? just some food for thought.

first things first, NU needs to hire an AD, there will be no coaching change before then. no interim AD will fire a HC, until he is named the AD.

Well, assuming for the limited purposes of argument only, that Dr. Tom was the permanent AD, as a young coach I would be thrilled to know I had that resource there. Someone that knowledgeable, someone who you know will do everything he can to help you succeed, someone has proven that he will step aside to allow a coach to create his own identity.

A major asset if the person has any brains at all...

Any up and coming young coach that would be considered won't care. They will have enough faith and confidence in their own ability to step up and make a go of it. And if TO should be named AD he is not Steve Pederson. He is much more knowledgable and compassionate. You can't fairly compare the two, they are worlds apart.

I seriously doubt we will be taking a "young up and coming coach" who doesn't have some serious experience...We can't afford to bring in another failure at coach. I'm not even sure they'd take a chance on Bo as he doesn't have any head coaching experience. His one plus he has is that he's already a hero here in Nebraska and he could retain Watson to run the offense and be HC and DC. Not sure that that would even work though. May just need to start over...ALTHOUGH last time we did that, it hasn't worked out so well (see recent debacle)...

TO won't be AD...that I know. We'd all love it, it's not going to happen. As for firing Solich, it's been said that he had other issues besides his bad coaching. Also, many call for a new head coach not only because our program has been reduced to sh#t, but also because it's not even in our tradition. The FANS want the West Cost Offense GONE...but that's just in the hope of the fans...doesn't mean we always get what we want.

Callahan could stay...Offensive Coordinator would probably suit him better than Head Coach tho. He knows football...he doesn't know how to COACH tho. He doesn't make adjustments, he doesn't motivate the players very well, and he doesn't seem to have the ability to beat a top 20 team.

Also, we know we arn't going to win every Natn'l Championship, or have 11+ wins every season, but we don't expect to ever have 30+ unanswered points scored against us, lose consecutive blow-out games...be humiliated...it's not husker football.

Hiring a coach is not an exact science. Young up and comers, for every Bob Stoops, there is a Mike Stoops. Guys with experiance, for every Urban Meyer, there is a Francione.

Husker fans do not expect to win 11 games a year, or win a National Championship every year. We expect 9 wins a year, and to be mentioned in the hunt during September. We do no tolerate getting blown out at home. We do not Tolerate one of the worst defenses in college football.

At the end of the day, the fans will be happy if they know the players and the coaches gave everything they had, even if it came up short. But showing up for the game, looking totally unprepared, and unmotivated, is not acceptable.

TO won't be AD...that I know. We'd all love it, it's not going to happen. As for firing Solich, it's been said that he had other issues besides his bad coaching. Also, many call for a new head coach not only because our program has been reduced to sh#t, but also because it's not even in our tradition. The FANS want the West Cost Offense GONE...but that's just in the hope of the fans...doesn't mean we always get what we want.

Callahan could stay...Offensive Coordinator would probably suit him better than Head Coach tho. He knows football...he doesn't know how to COACH tho. He doesn't make adjustments, he doesn't motivate the players very well, and he doesn't seem to have the ability to beat a top 20 team.

Also, we know we arn't going to win every Natn'l Championship, or have 11+ wins every season, but we don't expect to ever have 30+ unanswered points scored against us, lose consecutive blow-out games...be humiliated...it's not husker football.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, I wouldn't say that the last 4 seasons have been good by any means. <_<

Everyone is clamoring for TO to be your boss, you know the guy with the National Championships. Even if you do well you are always going to be living in the shadow of your boss.

Gee, isn't that what Tom Osborne did in 1973 after the Bob Father built this program up. What are the odds that some newbie comes in and wins 9 games a year and ends up one of the legendary coaches? I don't think TO will be intimidating to the right candidate.

... but we don't expect to ever have 30+ unanswered points scored against us, lose consecutive blow-out games...be humiliated...it's not husker football.

I was asked recently on this board to describe what it was like during USC's dark days of falling from glory. Well, I really don't need to explain it to you anymore, you are going through it yourselves. My daddy always told me, "Son, the best education you will ever get is from the School of Hard Knocks. Unfortunately, the tuition is extremely high." The Husker Nation is paying tuition now. Good luck, you will come out the better on the other side when you return to the top. In the mean time, there will be a lot of false hopes, dead end trails, and bitter disappointments. But in the end you will prevail because you are Nebraska! GBR