Still an outside shot at KC??

RedCountry

It would bring in a lot more money for the school if we played in the conference championship game.

I ask again would it be worth it? Say we beat colorado which is very questionable and we go to title game, of course we lose that which puts us at 500 and then we go to say tangerine bowl. That is the 3rd team in acc which looks like possibly vtech. A losing record a 6-7. Is it worth it? All for the money.

College football is getting to be more and more like a buisness. The Big 12 says that no team can turn down a bowl invitation so its not like we have a choice. I think that we should try and win out and just take it game by game.

obviously your not going to turn down nothing and especially a bowl because you get to keep practing till then but I'm just saying we don't deserve to go to no big 12 title game. I'm routing for iowa state because they've never won or made crap.

It would bring in a lot more money for the school if we played in the conference championship game.

I ask again would it be worth it? Say we beat colorado which is very questionable and we go to title game, of course we lose that which puts us at 500 and then we go to say tangerine bowl. That is the 3rd team in acc which looks like possibly vtech. A losing record a 6-7. Is it worth it? All for the money.

Not just the money - there's still recruiting. It gets NU on TV one more time, keeps NU in the recruits' minds. That, along with the additional practice time, are pretty good benefits to it as well. And that applies even if NU were to lose - so far, we've lined up a pretty good class (subject to them actually signing, of course) with a less than stellar record.

Yes, but it's all based on promises. What are these promises? That they will see a lot of playing time next year. IMO, a true freshman shouldn't be starting unless A) they are just that good (OU's Peterson) B) you have nobody else. Freshmen need to get accustomed to the big leap from high school to college. Mack Brown made a lot of these same promises, and it has kept him from a championship (Major Applewhite vs. Simms).

Look at Texas now. OU came into Texas during the 04 recruiting year and picked it clean. Even Mack's promises can't get them to Austin anymore. If we don't turn this thing around quickly, these outstanding recruits will begin to fade. Recruiting based on promises can be a ticking time bomb that can blow up in your face!

So what are you saying, that we shouldn't play these freshman right away or that we should not tell them that they have a CHANCE to play early. Because I do not know a coach in the country that flat out tells a player that they will play as a true freshman. They may tell them that they can come in and have every opportunity to have a chance to play and that they can prove that they should be playing but there is a big difference between telling a player that he is going to play or telling him that he has an opportunity to play right away.

Yes, but it's all based on promises.  What are these promises?  That they will see a lot of playing time next year.  IMO, a true freshman shouldn't be starting unless A) they are just that good (OU's Peterson) B) you have nobody else.  Freshmen need to get accustomed to the big leap from high school to college.  Mack Brown made a lot of these same promises, and it has kept him from a championship (Major Applewhite vs. Simms). 

Look at Texas now.  OU came into Texas during the 04 recruiting year and picked it clean.  Even Mack's promises can't get them to Austin anymore.  If we don't turn this thing around quickly, these outstanding recruits will begin to fade.  Recruiting based on promises can be a ticking time bomb that can blow up in your face!

I think one big tool isn't "promises" but tell them to look at this season. They have a chance to come in and play if they can perform. I expect they will be put through the same scrutiny that the other players will. If they can perform better than the others at their position then they will play.

Some will say that "Well, they will get playing time because they are Callahan's kids". Completely ignoring the fact that they just might be better than the current players. Cynacism runs rampant sometimes.

If I here one more comparison to Texas I am going to scream.

Scream all you want. The point trying to be made by the comparison is: Great recruiting does not equal great coaching.

No, but a coach needs to have players who can execute his game plan. Now if he gets those players and still has trouble, then you look to make a change, but not before then. Give the guy a chance to get the players and put it ALL together.

Scream all you want. The point trying to be made by the comparison is: Great recruiting does not equal great coaching.

WELL DUH. The coach has to be able to take the recruits and turn them into great players. But some are condemning the new recruits and staff before they even get out of the gate. I thought I was cynical. :)

College football is getting to be more and more like a buisness. The Big 12 says that no team can turn down a bowl invitation so its not like we have a choice. I think that we should try and win out and just take it game by game.

I thought Texas A&M turned down a bowl invitation in 2002 at 6-6. Maybe I am wrong, anyone else remember?