The worst thing for Bill Callahan

NPhusker

I dont think i new coach will have that bad of a record. When Callahan came in i dont think he had much talent, but the one good thing Callahan has done is bring in some good talent. I think the new coach will come in unite these players, get some passion and fire back on the field and the talent will start showing up on the field i would predict atworst 7-5 and best 9-3 season.

You guys completely dodged the question!!!!

It wasn't "what do you think will happen if....?"

Ask yourselves seriously will you be able to support the new coach after a couple of losing seasons???

Unless Ganz is the starter, we're gonna be starting either a redshirt or true freshman at QB. We have a lot of talent, but we also lose a lot of starters. This is what is so upsetting to me. We have a very mature team this year, and look at how we're doing.

I hope they do start a freshman!! I want to hear the same QB's name for at least three years.... remember how they booed Frost (old news) and he was awesome his senior year (IMO).... Let's start fresh...

While everyone is in a hurry to send Callahan down the road, I'm not so sure he'll be going anywhere soon. I'm pretty sure at the end of the year we'll be seeing some changes at the defensive side, but I'm not sure Callahan will be going.

First off if you want to chop off heads and fire a coaching staff, you brought in the wrong AD. TO is a patient man and will not fire anyone too fast, that's just not his style. You also have to consider that back in the 70s TO was headed to Colorado to coach because he was tired of all the critics here. He will have sympathy for Callahan because he understands what he's going through, and understands that it's even worse today with radio sports talk shows and the internet. I'm convinced if we had the internet back in the 70s, TO would have never been here in the 90s for his National Titles. We'd of run him off. He will not get in a hurry to fire Callahan. Now he may ask Callahan to make some defensive changes, and if Callahan objects, then maybe they all go. But that's something that only time will tell.

Secondly TO has mentioned the importance of culture and tradition. And while Callahan did make some changes, such as back off on the walk ons at first. Many of the changes that were made to back away from the old Ne. culture came from Pederson. Does anyone really think it was Callahan that said don't put up any pictures of past All Americans. That had to come from Pederson. We'll have no way of knowing just how many of the old traditions were broken by Pederson and not Callahan. But TO will know, and if Pederson is mostly to blame, then that is not a strike against Callahan. Pederson was Callahan's boss. So if Pederson said this is the way it will be, then it was up to Callahan to go along.

Callahan made some mistakes up front because he didn't understand Ne football. In some cases he figured that out and changed back. And other times he didn't. The only thing we don't know is, would he have changed back other things if Pederson was not there. Also Pederson is from Ne so he knew how important tradition was. It was his job to make Callahan understand this up front. That is if the past Ne culture was important to Pederson. If it wasn't, then he just let Callahan move away without saying anything.

We've found out TO likes the spread. While the spread and the WCO aren't the same, are they really that far apart. Up to this point we haven't had a QB that can run, but it does seem Callahan has recruited some and tried to recruit others that can run. Freeman comes to mind. With a running QB at the helm would our WCO end up looking a lot like a spread offense that runs the ball. It seems to me it could, and if it does, again it seems TO would be happy.

I'm not saying I'm a big Callahan supporter. He's done some things that I've thought were a little weird, and I'd say I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's gone. But I think we may want to hold off ordering the booze for his going away party. Or if it's already ordered, use it during the last games this year. We may need it.

While everyone is in a hurry to send Callahan down the road, I'm not so sure he'll be going anywhere soon. I'm pretty sure at the end of the year we'll be seeing some changes at the defensive side, but I'm not sure Callahan will be going.

First off if you want to chop off heads and fire a coaching staff, you brought in the wrong AD. TO is a patient man and will not fire anyone too fast, that's just not his style. You also have to consider that back in the 70s TO was headed to Colorado to coach because he was tired of all the critics here. He will have sympathy for Callahan because he understands what he's going through, and understands that it's even worse today with radio sports talk shows and the internet. I'm convinced if we had the internet back in the 70s, TO would have never been here in the 90s for his National Titles. We'd of run him off. He will not get in a hurry to fire Callahan. Now he may ask Callahan to make some defensive changes, and if Callahan objects, then maybe they all go. But that's something that only time will tell.

Secondly TO has mentioned the importance of culture and tradition. And while Callahan did make some changes, such as back off on the walk ons at first. Many of the changes that were made to back away from the old Ne. culture came from Pederson. Does anyone really think it was Callahan that said don't put up any pictures of past All Americans. That had to come from Pederson. We'll have no way of knowing just how many of the old traditions were broken by Pederson and not Callahan. But TO will know, and if Pederson is mostly to blame, then that is not a strike against Callahan. Pederson was Callahan's boss. So if Pederson said this is the way it will be, then it was up to Callahan to go along.

Callahan made some mistakes up front because he didn't understand Ne football. In some cases he figured that out and changed back. And other times he didn't. The only thing we don't know is, would he have changed back other things if Pederson was not there. Also Pederson is from Ne so he knew how important tradition was. It was his job to make Callahan understand this up front. That is if the past Ne culture was important to Pederson. If it wasn't, then he just let Callahan move away without saying anything.

We've found out TO likes the spread. While the spread and the WCO aren't the same, are they really that far apart. Up to this point we haven't had a QB that can run, but it does seem Callahan has recruited some and tried to recruit others that can run. Freeman comes to mind. With a running QB at the helm would our WCO end up looking a lot like a spread offense that runs the ball. It seems to me it could, and if it does, again it seems TO would be happy.

I'm not saying I'm a big Callahan supporter. He's done some things that I've thought were a little weird, and I'd say I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's gone. But I think we may want to hold off ordering the booze for his going away party. Or if it's already ordered, use it during the last games this year. We may need it.

Does anybody remember the press conference when they hired Callahan? I was so annoyed by BC's comment, but everybody else seemed excited about the guy and I brushed it off...hey, hes from the NFL, been to the big game, too....

BC's comment paraphrased: "Yeah, they took me through the facilities and told me about all the tradition here at Nebraska blahblahblahblahdyf*ingblah"

He said they told him about the tradition?!?!!? I have a friend who moved here from AZ and he thinks we are all crazy for even caring who the AD is... maybe we are crazy but one thing I know is you can't tell someone about the tradition of football here.... they can't get it, they can soak it in after a while maybe, but they can't just be told about it..... Your born into it.

Does anybody remember the press conference when they hired Callahan? I was so annoyed by BC's comment, but everybody else seemed excited about the guy and I brushed it off...hey, hes from the NFL, been to the big game, too....

BC's comment paraphrased: "Yeah, they took me through the facilities and told me about all the tradition here at Nebraska blahblahblahblahdyf*ingblah"

He said they told him about the tradition?!?!!? I have a friend who moved here from AZ and he thinks we are all crazy for even caring who the AD is... maybe we are crazy but one thing I know is you can't tell someone about the tradition of football here.... they can't get it, they can soak it in after a while maybe, but they can't just be told about it..... Your born into it.

Agreed. And that is why if culture and tradition were important to Pederson, then he should have made sure Callahan heard about it and kept hearing about it till some of it soaked in. But apparently that didn't happen. So it appears the dropping of our traditions should be laid at Pederson's feet. He knew better, Callahan didn't. Now we'll see if Callahan is willing to listen to TO about culture and tradition. If he does he may stay a while, but if he doesn't he out of here. The key to my post was. While most on the internet forum boards are not willing to give Callahan the chance to embrace our culture and traditions, it seems TO is. Which would go along with everything we know about TO. So that's why I said we might want to get in too big of a hurry to start the send off party, because TO is doing the firing, not those of us on the forum boards.

I dont think i new coach will have that bad of a record. When Callahan came in i dont think he had much talent, but the one good thing Callahan has done is bring in some good talent. I think the new coach will come in unite these players, get some passion and fire back on the field and the talent will start showing up on the field i would predict atworst 7-5 and best 9-3 season.

Ask yourselves seriously will you be able to support the new coach after a couple of losing seasons???

That is a great question and after all of the hot air we have been fed, all of the turmoil and BS, and the atmosphere that is in the program now, I think that if we have guys that bring the "Nebraska feel" back to Lincoln it will be okay. If we show progress, play with heart, and give it our all, our fans will be patient.

As long a Ball St and ISU aren't coming close to beating us at home and we don't give up 40+ points per game to mediocre teams, we will see it as progress. Any decent coaching staff can deliver this, IMO.

That is a great question and after all of the hot air we have been fed, all of the turmoil and BS, and the atmosphere that is in the program now, I think that if we have guys that bring the "Nebraska feel" back to Lincoln it will be okay. If we show progress, play with heart, and give it our all, our fans will be patient.

As long a Ball St and ISU aren't coming close to beating us at home and we don't give up 40+ points per game to mediocre teams, we will see it as progress. Any decent coaching staff can deliver this, IMO.

are we playing hard? are we keeping it competitive? are we improving? what is are schedule like? this question is WAY to open ended.

I'm not a Bo P supporter, YET, because of a tirade he threw at a competitor...

But if he accepted the job, at least he knows what the expectations are...

Even if your record is undefeated as head coach at Nebraska you may not get asked back...

just trying to bring some levity to a tense situation

GBR

Even if your record is undefeated as head coach at Nebraska you may not get asked back...

GBR

I don't understand those who hate Bo. I don't know if he is the best guy for the job but for those who question him being a loose cannon, have they not witnessed the "dumbest team in America" "F'ing hillibillies" and the throat slash?

Bo could not due any worse that Bill.

GBR

What tirade? I guess I missed it...

----------------

Now playing: Stretch Arm Strong - A Time for Peace

Unless Ganz is the starter, we're gonna be starting either a redshirt or true freshman at QB. We have a lot of talent, but we also lose a lot of starters. This is what is so upsetting to me. We have a very mature team this year, and look at how we're doing.

I hope they do start a freshman!! I want to hear the same QB's name for at least three years.... remember how they booed Frost (old news) and he was awesome his senior year (IMO).... Let's start fresh...

The reason Frost was booed had nothing to do with him being new. It had all to do with him choosing Stanford over Nebraska. Frost chose to play for the "founder" of the WCO because he wanted to play QB in the NFL. At the time, Frost held the passing record for C1 I believe in Nebraska. Of course he wanted to play QB and play in the NFL. He came back to Nebraska after Walsh left Stanford. If Walsh stays at Stanford, more than likely Frost never comes back. If you wanna talk about booing, talk about how Brook was booed during the first home game in 95' when he replaced Frazier! Funny thing is that there's a statue of Brook, but there's no statue of Frazier.