We'd Better Hunker Down, Husker Nation!

It's hard to say. The players are here to get it done, but the coaches are horrible. If we could keep all of the players along with the recruits coming in we could have a fantastic season next year depending on the coaches that come in and the offense that they bring with them. Man I had high hopes for this season. :hmmph

I'm gonna be optimistic, finish this year and re build next year with a winning season, and then back to power.

with the right coaching, next year nebraska could be competitive. if we got someone with a bob stoops-type mentality, nebraska could be turned around.

or that's what i like to think. i'm an optimist.

IMO I don't think it would take that long with a good staff.

We have the talent to win, but need quality coaches to mentor and poor some passion back into this program.

The players were recruited for the WCO, right? So how would a transition to a spread work out? I think it would work just fine but then what do I know....nothing!!! <_<

we have some talent out there, i think with the right combination of coaches, NU could be very good with the players that we have.

we just dont have the right combination of coaches i am afraid

Look at Ron Zook, recruited great but didnt get it done at Florida, but it looks like he is doing better with Illinois.

Urban Meyers comes into Florida and does a great job

Callahan could possibly get things done with the right staff, but i dont think that he will have the chance, and at this point i dont think he should deserve the chance.

he should have made changes sooner

My People,

Since I am now resigned to a coaching change at season's end, and growing more comfortable with it as each week passes, I thought I'd enlighten some of the fairweather folks as to what lies ahead of us. Many people magically jumped back on the bandwagon when T.O. came back into the fold. We must all realize, however, that even T.O. will have much work ahead of him before we are even back to "average but competitive." T.O. even talks about it being a situation that requires patience (see Saturday OWH). Folks, this is going to be a difficult journey with more bumps ahead as we go forward beyond 2007. In order for our fanbase and general support for the student athletes to remain steadfast, we will need to commit ourselves to the following:

1. ACCEPTANCE: We need to accept that this year's recruiting class will have many casualties. This has been talked about tons, but I consider this a "neccessary evil" that must be dealt with in the impending coaching switch. First of all, I do not want to see any crap about fans having animosity towards these kids for rethinking their pledge or decommitting. This is not even close to the circumstances surrounding the JF situation, so lets not go there.

2. UNDERSTANDING: It must be understood that this is going to be another huge undertaking that will take an undeterminate amount of time to sort out. There will be losses, even after this year, that will shake us a bit, but we need to understand that it may take the better part of 3-5 YEARS to get this thing back to respectable.

3. PATIENCE: I am having real trouble with this one, personally. Every single day I ask, "Why doesn't T.O. just hurry up and cut these guys loose. Why not today? Why not last week or next week?" If T.O. says, "after the season," then that is what this man means. It's tough not to question his motives, but this is why T.O. is an A.D., coach and a legend, and I am one fan.

4. TRUST: Tell yourself this out loud, "Well, we asked for it, and we got it." The majority of folks want change, and they shall have it. However, we have got to completely trust T.O. and the decisions he makes for the benefit of the program. Specifically, I'm talking about the coaching search. According to IBR, everything is in order. While I refuse to doubt his information until it is proven incorrect, I am also going to trust T.O. if his ideas turn out not to be those mentioned by IBR. But there's always somebody who will take their ball and go home if the next coach hire isn't what they expect. Always. It will happen here, but it shouldn't.

5. HOPE: At the center of it all, there is the concept of hope. We've got to have hope for the future of Husker Nation. Realistically, we should hope that the decisions and investments made in the coming weeks will pay dividends in the YEARS (plural) down the road. It's pivotal, because if hope for better times is abandoned, then we are right back where Coach Devaney had to start from in the early 1960's.

. . . . And we will keep returning to that point over and over again if we don't commit ourselves to these

tenants right now. It's time to hunker down for the long haul. Please add your thoughts

My People,

Since I am now resigned to a coaching change at season's end, and growing more comfortable with it as each week passes, I thought I'd enlighten some of the fairweather folks as to what lies ahead of us. Many people magically jumped back on the bandwagon when T.O. came back into the fold. We must all realize, however, that even T.O. will have much work ahead of him before we are even back to "average but competitive." T.O. even talks about it being a situation that requires patience (see Saturday OWH). Folks, this is going to be a difficult journey with more bumps ahead as we go forward beyond 2007. In order for our fanbase and general support for the student athletes to remain steadfast, we will need to commit ourselves to the following:

1. ACCEPTANCE: We need to accept that this year's recruiting class will have many casualties. This has been talked about tons, but I consider this a "neccessary evil" that must be dealt with in the impending coaching switch. First of all, I do not want to see any crap about fans having animosity towards these kids for rethinking their pledge or decommitting. This is not even close to the circumstances surrounding the JF situation, so lets not go there.

2. UNDERSTANDING: It must be understood that this is going to be another huge undertaking that will take an undeterminate amount of time to sort out. There will be losses, even after this year, that will shake us a bit, but we need to understand that it may take the better part of 3-5 YEARS to get this thing back to respectable.

3. PATIENCE: I am having real trouble with this one, personally. Every single day I ask, "Why doesn't T.O. just hurry up and cut these guys loose. Why not today? Why not last week or next week?" If T.O. says, "after the season," then that is what this man means. It's tough not to question his motives, but this is why T.O. is an A.D., coach and a legend, and I am one fan.

4. TRUST: Tell yourself this out loud, "Well, we asked for it, and we got it." The majority of folks want change, and they shall have it. However, we have got to completely trust T.O. and the decisions he makes for the benefit of the program. Specifically, I'm talking about the coaching search. According to IBR, everything is in order. While I refuse to doubt his information until it is proven incorrect, I am also going to trust T.O. if his ideas turn out not to be those mentioned by IBR. But there's always somebody who will take their ball and go home if the next coach hire isn't what they expect. Always. It will happen here, but it shouldn't.

5. HOPE: At the center of it all, there is the concept of hope. We've got to have hope for the future of Husker Nation. Realistically, we should hope that the decisions and investments made in the coming weeks will pay dividends in the YEARS (plural) down the road. It's pivotal, because if hope for better times is abandoned, then we are right back where Coach Devaney had to start from in the early 1960's.

. . . . And we will keep returning to that point over and over again if we don't commit ourselves to these

tenants right now. It's time to hunker down for the long haul. Please add your thoughts

Do we really have a choice? At least this time the division that ripped fans apart won't be there.

It will take time but our cupboard isn't bare, we have talent on our team. We have had several good top 20 recruiting classes (depending on who's opinion you listen to) This should have been Cally's breakout year but unfortuately in order to make up for the poor coaching NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY HAVE THAT MUCH TALENT. I think if we can get some real coaches in there our improvements might surprise quite a few. Just my opinion,,,, but dang it scrap the WCO and get back to our bread and butter, give us back our walk ons and our heart and we'll be ready to once again play FOR Nebraska.