Cosgrove to Illinois????

Illinois names: In the event the Illinois job becomes open after this weekend's final game at Northwestern, San Diego Assistant HC TIM BREWSTER has strong and growing support from alumni, fans, students, former and current players who are very interested in seeing one of their own take the reins. Another name is Novak - HFC Northern Illinois- half his staff is already at Illinois. Also DC Nebraska Kevin Cosgrove

This was taken from footballscoop.com

Illinois names: In the event the Illinois job becomes open after this weekend's final game at Northwestern, San Diego Assistant HC TIM BREWSTER has strong and growing support from alumni, fans, students, former and current players who are very interested in seeing one of their own take the reins. Another name is Novak - HFC Northern Illinois- half his staff is already at Illinois. Also DC Nebraska Kevin Cosgrove

This was taken from footballscoop.com

I have read this on other boards about Cos may be looking at other head coaching positions, maybe even Div 2.

Found this sucker on a message board"The word is San Diego assistant HC Tim Brewster and DC Nebraska Kevin Cosgrove have the favor of alumni and boosters. Brewster is a great young football mind familiar with the Illinois program (He played TE at U of I in the early 80's. ) Cosgrove coached at U of I with Mike White in the early 80's taking Brewsters team to the Rose Bowl. Cosgrove is also known for taking many of the great players out of St. Louis and Chicago which are both crucial recruiting areas for illinois success. It should be interesting to see how this one pans out. "

Why would you want cosgrove to leave. The great Bill Callahan hand picked him to take over this defense. He has to be a great coach.

No way he would get the head job there anyways.

I think Callahan brought him in knowing that he would get a job sooner or later.IMO Remeber Callahan didn't have much time to put this staff together if they wanted to get any kind of recruits and he knew Cosgrove would come. I think the same can be said about Phil E.(not even gonna try to spell it).

Maybe Monte Kiffen would come back to Nebraska. He is getting up there in age and his defense is starting to struggle. I know its a long shot, but maybe he would want to end his career where he first really got started.

THat's an interesting name to throw out there, but Cosgrove hasn't left yet. You getr the feeling this is the start of the coaching carousal that occurs at other schools.

Solich will not be a candidate for the Illinois job...but Cosgrove still might be..

Chicago Sports.com

CHAMPAIGN -- Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther officially began his search for Illinois' 22nd football coach Monday afternoon after firing Ron Turner, who went 35-57 in eight seasons and had just nine victories since winning a Big Ten title three seasons ago.

Guenther said he has a short list of candidates, all of whom coach for teams whose seasons are not yet completed, presumably from both college and NFL ranks.