Danny Woodhead

jlarsan

The thing that is funny about this whole thing is that Danny couldn't be more happy at Chadron State. Anyone can say whatever they want about how he would do at Div. I or look at the teams that Chadron plays. There is no comparison between Danny and Marlon Lucky. All you have to look at is who has produced with all of the hype out of high school. It doesn't matter because Nebraska didn't want him and here we are looking at this kid make history. Part of me wants to tell you that he would have been one of the better backs in Div. I but I won't because there will be the haters who say that we will never know. I do know however, because this kid has heart and athletic ability. I'm not sure that anyone on this current team has both of those things. Danny is making history so lets not knock him and say what he would or wouldn't do at Nebraska. Lets celebrate him for his accomplishments. After all he is the #1 rusher of all time.

When you say they didn't want him, I question this. TO visited some games watching C1 and C2 athletes. My brother had a roommate that TO personally went to his house and asked him to walk on. It's not that NU didn't want him. They just weren't willing to give him a scholly. Look at the Mackovicka brothers. They were walk ons. Scott Shanle was a walk on. Corey Schlesinger (sp) was a walk on. We've had some great players here that started out as walk ons. The coaches wanted them, but they didn't want to offer them schollies.

A kid from my home town was offered a scholly by Wyoming, but he turned it down to walk on at NU. His family wasn't blessed with money, and he paid his own way through student loans etc. When I was in college, there were a lot of walk ons that I knew that paid their way because it was their dream to play for NU.

I don't blame Woodhead for taking the fullride and playing for Chadron State. However, I think it's very naive to blame Solich or Clownahan for not giving him a scholly as well. I remember the same banter being discussed when Lord was stinking up the place in 02' while a Nebraska kid (Thompson) was tearing up the field and records at Omaha. If Woodhead really wanted to play for the Huskers, he could have. Beebe was drafted out of Chadron State, and Woodhead could be as well. Btw, the record he broke who's was it? What kind of NFL career did they have?

With Danny's success here in Chadron has us all wondering what his brother is going to do. Will he try to walk on at Nebraska, or will he come here to Chadron State? Danny has told the local media repeatedly that his brother is better than he is.

HAHA well all Danny is trying to do is talk up his little brother. Now i like Joel (danny's little brother) he wasnt even the best running back on NP team this year. There was a junoir at NP named Corey Sorrano who is 5 times better than joel and has a legit chance to go DI cause he is probably as fast or faster than Danny and is about 6-1 190 or close to this.

So to answer you question there is no way he is walking on at UNL and he might walk on at CSC

Are you kidding? Walk on at CSC??? Please, know what you're saying before you say it. He is good enough to receive a scholarship.

Junior,

you may already know this but Woodhead broke the record of RJ Bowers who played for DivisionIII Grove City in IL. Bowers played baseball in the Houston Astros organization right out of high school and when he finished that and enrolled in college he was 23. He signed as a free agent with the Carolina Panthers out of college but never played a down. He did play in eight games for the Steelers and Browns in the 2001-2003 span and had 18 carries for 87 yards and 2 TDs.

Now the player Woodhead is chasing for all purpose yeards is Brian Westbrook who played for Villanova and is having a pretty good career with the Philadelphia Eagles.

With Danny's success here in Chadron has us all wondering what his brother is going to do. Will he try to walk on at Nebraska, or will he come here to Chadron State? Danny has told the local media repeatedly that his brother is better than he is.

HAHA well all Danny is trying to do is talk up his little brother. Now i like Joel (danny's little brother) he wasnt even the best running back on NP team this year. There was a junoir at NP named Corey Sorrano who is 5 times better than joel and has a legit chance to go DI cause he is probably as fast or faster than Danny and is about 6-1 190 or close to this.

So to answer you question there is no way he is walking on at UNL and he might walk on at CSC

You just don't cease to amaze me, Chadron students can get scholarships at CSC. ANYONE can, FFS. Next time, slow down and think through what your going to say a third time...kthnxbai

Are you kidding? Walk on at CSC??? Please, know what you're saying before you say it. He is good enough to receive a scholarship.

Maybe a little tiny scholarship because his name is legendary out there, but he is 1/16 the player danny was. In a game earlier this year against Fremont (finished 1-8) Woodhead had negative rushing yard. on like 10 carries. I dont know how you do that and then go play college football, and the only reason NP won the game is becasue that Sorrano kid had all but 20 of the teams total yards with 230 all purpose yard, 150 rushing and 80 recieving, and had an interception.

Junior,

you may already know this but Woodhead broke the record of RJ Bowers who played for DivisionIII Grove City in IL. Bowers played baseball in the Houston Astros organization right out of high school and when he finished that and enrolled in college he was 23. He signed as a free agent with the Carolina Panthers out of college but never played a down. He did play in eight games for the Steelers and Browns in the 2001-2003 span and had 18 carries for 87 yards and 2 TDs.

Now the player Woodhead is chasing for all purpose yeards is Brian Westbrook who played for Villanova and is having a pretty good career with the Philadelphia Eagles.

No I had no idea, but I thought the record he broke was by another D3 player. I was just wondering how the previous record holder faired in the NFL or at all after college. I'm assuming RJ Bowers is the one that held the rushing record? Villanova is D1, so I don't know if a fair comparison can be made there. I was just referring to comparison reasons it would be easier to compare with the other D3 player that previously held the record.

Woodhead has all those yards because he played all 4 years. Im sure he would of 1st been red shirted ... and would of barely played at Neb ... or even been moved to the D.

It's the same situation for Xavier Omon who is at NW Missouri State , he is from Beatrice ... he didnt get an offer .. could of walked on ... but went to NW where he has started for 3 1/2 years and had led the bearcats to the NC game 2 years in a row (maybe 3 if they get there again).

Since both of them went to a smaller school ... they had the chance to play right away ... and now have a chance to be in the pros. If they went to NU (or any other D-1 school) might of only gotten 1 to 2 yrs of PT and prob had no shot at the pros.

Scouting isn't a science. Not that I would compare this kid to Barry Sanders but he also was passed up by everybody including NU and OU because he was to small. OKIE St I think was his only D-1 offer, maybe KU or KSU showed some interest but not sure.

So you can't blame D-1 coaches for not taking those chances.

It's easier to explain why you took a prototypical player versus a Rudy even if the prototypical player doesn't live up to everyones standards.

Charlie McBride bought him up as an example of how him and T.O. use to recruit compared to today a few weeks ago.

He said something to effect, that kid in Chadron would have been asked to come and walkon and have a chance to earn a scholarship.

That's pretty easy to say now.

IMO this thread should just end. All this has ammounted to is people speculating and acting like they know for sure Danny would not do anything at Division I because he plays at a D-II school. If that is your only basis for an argument then you don't have one. I believe the NFL scouts, they know talent. His 40 time is pretty good and it is legit. Falcon's got him at a 4.41 and thats comparable to the RB's at the combine last year. Let's not speculate on whether he'd do anything at the D-I level because really it's just an opinon (often times an uneducated one).