Upon further review

I have to admit I have been caught up in the hype of getting rid of all of the coaches, but upon further thought, I decided I do not care if Callahan stays or goes at this point. I actually might like to see him stay if certain changes happened.

1. The defense needs changes. It has no identity and the schemes are not working. Why -- wish I knew, but you have to make a change. I would like to see Callahan just admit that something is wrong -- even if he does not know what that something is, and that it will be addressed when the season is over. Basically hold the defensive coaches accountable for the performance.

2. Bill needs to give up the play calling. He brought is Watson, who has a pretty good track record. Let the offensive coordinator call the game. There may be some room for discussion in certain situations, but let go of the control and let's see what happens.

3. Get the players to play all out. The players do seem to like this guy, so if that is the case, shouldn't they be motivated to help him keep his job? Again, not sure why the intensity is not there...the players should know. Maybe it is conditioning, maybe there is a player or group of players that are undermining some things the coaches are trying to do?

Callahan still has a walk-on program, a high graduation rate, great recruiting skills, and until this year, we did see progress in the team. Maybe Callahan just needs some mentoring from Dr. Tom to move past his control issues on this team and grow as a coach -- Steve Pederson could never provide that type of a realtionship or input.

Yes, I am kind of defending Callahan and two days ago I do not think I would have even considered this...but who knows...

I want to see this team win. I want to see the players give it there all -- win or lose, if the effort is there, I will cheer them on every week. But more importantly I want to see these young men to succeed in school and in life -- if the graduation rates are a good indicator, then coach Callahan appears to have kept that important tradition alive.

Callahan still has a walk-on program, a high graduation rate, great recruiting skills, and until this year, we did see progress in the team. Maybe Callahan just needs some mentoring from Dr. Tom to move past his control issues on this team and grow as a coach -- Steve Pederson could never provide that type of a realtionship or input.

Very nice overview....I especially agree with this part....I'm sure your get lambasted here in a second, but thanks for not posting "Callahan sucks....coaches suck.....blah , blah, blah"

Excellent post and I agree with you. It's not popular to post something that isn't a rumor or a poll on which coach sucks worse, or callahan sucks thread. Kudos to you for staying positive and realistic. If things can be turned around this season, anything is possible. We will have to see.

Very nice overview....I especially agree with this part....I'm sure your get lambasted here in a second, but thanks for posting "Calahan sucks....coaches suck.....blah , blah, blah"

I am sure I will... :lol:

Great points and I agree for the most part. I don't know if he is willing to let his best friend go though??? The offense played well up until the Mizzou game. The defense has been the problem this whole year and now they have brought the rest of the team down with them. There are major emotional problems on this team and I'm not sure how you go around changing that???

For the sake of continuity Callahan will not get fired. Changes will be made in terms of coaching but it won't be the HC.

For some reason I have a feeling that even though alot of people want him fired he won't be gone at the end of the season. I have a feeling he will get another year with alot of coaching changes through the assistants on down.

I wouldn't mind BC staying for continuity, but if I was TO there would be stipulations on his future based on what most of you allready stated about the coaching changes and playcalling.

I agree. The biggest problem with him is he concentrates so much on the offense and doesn't actual oversee everything. Let the offense coordinator call the game and make him earn his money.

I dont know if someone put something in the water or what, but I agree with your post. I have always kinda liked Callahan and wanted him to succeed. I feel bad for him really, I had no idea this season could be so bad.

Honestly I am following Husker football much more now than I would if we were winning. I started listening to talk radio at work and on my way home just to hear the latest rumor or tidbit about our football team. If what I am seeing from my friends and co-workers is anything like the rest of the Husker fans, Im sure we are more united now than ever. Maybe we just need to band together and support our team. Sure its fun to play around with guessing who or next coach will be. Sure its fun pointing out all the bad things that Callahan has done with play calling. I think Im rambling now and might not be making any sense. Its late and I need to go to bed. Who knows how I will feel in the morning.

i think there is already a rift between cally and oz. i don't think cally could actually be comfortable here with oz as the AD. keeping cally for another year or 2 really won't change anything. he will in reality continue to run his schemes offensively, he is not a guy to give up control. sure this is going to hurt the program, but dammit, Ped is gone now and we still need to clean the rest of the slate. easy to feel sorry about the short term outlook, but we will only regret not cleaning our house completely, a year or 2 down the road. let's just get this overwith.

I have to admit I have been caught up in the hype of getting rid of all of the coaches, but upon further thought, I decided I do not care if Callahan stays or goes at this point. I actually might like to see him stay if certain changes happened.

1. The defense needs changes. It has no identity and the schemes are not working. Why -- wish I knew, but you have to make a change. I would like to see Callahan just admit that something is wrong -- even if he does not know what that something is, and that it will be addressed when the season is over. Basically hold the defensive coaches accountable for the performance.

2. Bill needs to give up the play calling. He brought is Watson, who has a pretty good track record. Let the offensive coordinator call the game. There may be some room for discussion in certain situations, but let go of the control and let's see what happens.

3. Get the players to play all out. The players do seem to like this guy, so if that is the case, shouldn't they be motivated to help him keep his job? Again, not sure why the intensity is not there...the players should know. Maybe it is conditioning, maybe there is a player or group of players that are undermining some things the coaches are trying to do?

Yes, I am kind of defending Callahan and two days ago I do not think I would have even considered this...but who knows...

I want to see this team win. I want to see the players give it there all -- win or lose, if the effort is there, I will cheer them on every week. But more importantly I want to see these young men to succeed in school and in life -- if the graduation rates are a good indicator, then coach Callahan appears to have kept that important tradition alive.

Thank you. It's good to hear some sanity from time to time.

Do you know what I think? I think that the best thing that Osborne could do for this Husker team is announce that Callahan will remain as head coach. All of these rumors and threats need to disappear, and SOON. This team needs to be allowed to focus.

Callahan is not an idiot, and he is learning gradually about Husker football. He will make the needed changes, if he has the chance to do so.

Again, thanks.