Upon further review

Great points and I agree for the most part. I don't know if he is willing to let his best friend go though??? The offense played well up until the Mizzou game. The defense has been the problem this whole year and now they have brought the rest of the team down with them. There are major emotional problems on this team and I'm not sure how you go around changing that???

We put up points until we faced some better defenses. Our biggest threat at receiver seldoms sees the ball (Purify). I believe last Saturday he caught just his second TD pass of the year. Not only does he not see the ball, he doesn't even see a majority of the snaps when we're on offense. Our rushing attack still ranks in the #100's somewhere. There were lingering problems on the offensive side of the ball before we ever got to Mizzou. Against USC, the game was well out of hand at 42-10 before the O ever really started doing anything.

In the first half against A&M, I believe Watson called the plays and we were playing ok. In the second half, Clownahan just couldn't stand it so he started calling the plays and we never scored a single point. Believing he can relinquish the power of calling the plays is unwarranted especially after watching last Saturday. He was supposedly very involved in the defensive play calling. We never did stack 8 in the box and stop their running attack that simply killed us. When a 300 pound slow RB averages over 9 yards a carry, we're in big trouble. A&M's QB is not very good at passing. Stack the line, rush the QB, and make him beat us with his arm. We never saw that even with the wizard Clownahan helping call D plays.

One of the biggest problems with Clownahan is the fact that he's very stubborn. Instead of attacking opposing teams weaknesses, he attacks their strength. When we played OU a few years back, they had a top 5 run D and a fairly soft pass D. Instead of attacking their weakness, he continued to pound the rock for a yard or two each time.

I appreciate your spirit -- I really do. But unfortunately, there's a major meltdown going on. I just don't see this guy as a college HC but instead a NFL OC. Yes, I agree this not an ideal situation to fire your coaches ever four to six years, but what can you do when this guy doesn't develop the talent we are supposed to have. And what good is this recruiting class if B.C. doesn't develop it. Sorry, but I respectfully don't think this guy can get it done. :dunno

Well I'm sure the next coach will have all those fine qualities and hopefully beable to win also. By the way I't seem Callahan is losing his vaunted recruiting class, so what good is his great recruiting skills doing for Nebraska?

You have a lot of faith in someone you don't even know right now.

Also...great. Now it's Callahan's fault our recruiting class is falling to pieces? Give me a break...

Who else's fault would it be? Callahan's team is underperforming on the field with Callahan's recruits. Callahan's fingerprints are all over this program. Four years into the Callahan Era, Callahan hasn't won anything, and his losses to bad teams are mounting. Callahan's play-calling has been abysmal, Callahan's assistant coaches are not getting the job done (Coz being the most obvious example) and Callahan refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Who do you blame for the debacle this season is turning into?

3. Get the players to play all out. The players do seem to like this guy, so if that is the case, shouldn't they be motivated to help him keep his job? Again, not sure why the intensity is not there...the players should know. Maybe it is conditioning, maybe there is a player or group of players that are undermining some things the coaches are trying to do?

I think the players "liked" him. They probably still do like him. They just aren't disciplined, and because of that they show very little effort. The Raiders made it to the super bowl, and it was like suddenly they all lost their respect to him. They were not disciplined after they made it there. Cally made it to the Big 12 Championship (I know that's not very comparable to the Super Bowl), and now it seems like none of the Huskers have any discipline. It just seems like all the players like him because they think something good is going to happen, and then when it does happen, or when anything goes wrong, they just give up. If the players want anything good to happen, they need to finish their blocks, make a second effort, etc.

Callahan still has a walk-on program, a high graduation rate, great recruiting skills, and until this year, we did see progress in the team. Maybe Callahan just needs some mentoring from Dr. Tom to move past his control issues on this team and grow as a coach -- Steve Pederson could never provide that type of a realtionship or input.

But shouldn't, after coaching in the NFL and in a Super Bowl, Callahan already have the coaching thing down?

I'll add my positive spin to go with the mood. Bill Callahan will have a 50% bowl record at Nebraska after this year.

Ha, Callahan actually has a better bowl record than Osborne. :P

I am not anti-BC but he IS the HC and the buck stops with him, regardless. All the individuals involved, players, assistants, etc. are individually responsible, and responsible to fulfill their roles but BC is ultimately responsible for the program. If a player has a bad attitude, it's ultimately Callahan's responsibility to deal with it. Whether or not BC can right this ship is TO's problem. TO has to decide if BC is good for the program or not.

If you believe conspiracy theories BC is now holding the program hostage. Alternatively TO may think BC is a lost cause but is keeping him to the end of the year so an orderly replacement can be made OR TO may think BC is redeemable. If BC comes to Jesus and TO thinks he's the best man for the program for now, I'm willing to wait and see, but I want to see performance. If BC is gone I'm 100% behind the replacement, but I want to see performance. Bottom line is I want a good program for the long-term that can win championships and bowls.

Callahan still has a walk-on program, a high graduation rate, great recruiting skills, and until this year, we did see progress in the team. Maybe Callahan just needs some mentoring from Dr. Tom to move past his control issues on this team and grow as a coach -- Steve Pederson could never provide that type of a realtionship or input.

But shouldn't, after coaching in the NFL and in a Super Bowl, Callahan already have the coaching thing down?

I know in my job I need to continue to learn and grow. I would venture to guess that Al Davis or Steve Pederson provided no resources for learning or growing, or if they did, it was not a positive influence. Bill might have some issues that he does not know how to handle and he has not had 'management' support to fix/correct/learn.

I look at other bad owners in sports (e.g., Angelos - Orioles, Steinbrenner - Yankees) and the turmoil that exists aorund these organizations. In most cases these teams fail to produce and the knee-jerk reactions of the owners don't help the manager or fans. I believe that Steve Pederson might have some of that same influence on Callahan.

Just a thought for dicussion...that's all...

I know in my job I need to continue to learn and grow. I would venture to guess that Al Davis or Steve Pederson provided no resources for learning or growing, or if they did, it was not a positive influence. Bill might have some issues that he does not know how to handle and he has not had 'management' support to fix/correct/learn.

I look at other bad owners in sports (e.g., Angelos - Orioles, Steinbrenner - Yankees) and the turmoil that exists aorund these organizations. In most cases these teams fail to produce and the knee-jerk reactions of the owners don't help the manager or fans. I believe that Steve Pederson might have some of that same influence on Callahan.

I really don't think you can say Steve Pederson didn't alow Bill Callahan to grow. He offered him nothing but support, built him one of the nicest facilities in college football, and recently gave him an extension. If not for "management issues," Pederson's fate would have entirely rested upon Callahan's success. They were tied together.

CALLAHAN MUST WIN OVER THE FAN BASE THOUGH. Even though it starts in the field, but AD and Perlman won't have it if the fans don't go.

the best way for him to do that is, well... win a couple of games.

nutty theory, i know. i'm just throwing it out there.

I agree that BC may end up staying and that I won't have a problem with that....as long as he does make the changes needed to be a successful coach at NU. That means getting rid of that :asshat Coz, giving up play calling, and getting emotional with his players. I just don't see him getting rid of Coz, but maybe is TO puts the pressure on that if he does not fire Coz, TO will fire BC. Stipulations need to be put into place, but sadly, I don't BC will answer to TO or anyone for that matter. Heres to wishful thinking!!!! :bonez:cheers

For the sake of continuity Callahan will not get fired. Changes will be made in terms of coaching but it won't be the HC.

:dis Can't say that I see that happening. There needs to be fresh blood and I think TO sees that. If your team isn't inspired by the coaching staff, which INCLUDES the HC, why keep that in the program? Who hired Coz - BC! Why would you keep the HC but get rid of people that HE hired and KEEP him! That doesn't make sense :bang

You make an excellent point. :thumbs I suppose the ever-changing face of college football would require more learning and growing than many professions.