This Staff Has To Go NOW!!!!

father5

Listen, I'm all for honesty, but if you tell a kid "Hey, do what's best for you" you are pulling the plug and throwing the program under the bus. He is a coach for our team and his job now is to keep the recruits that have committed. If a kid asks if he is going to still be there next year then he can say he doesn't know. But it's his job to SELL NEBRASKA until he is gone. Plain and simple. If he isn't doing that, and kids leave because of him then he needs to go. I hope I'm not the only one who understands that is a problem.

:woo:thumbs

Listen, I'm all for honesty, but if you tell a kid "Hey, do what's best for you" you are pulling the plug and throwing the program under the bus. He is a coach for our team and his job now is to keep the recruits that have committed. If a kid asks if he is going to still be there next year then he can say he doesn't know. But it's his job to SELL NEBRASKA until he is gone. Plain and simple. If he isn't doing that, and kids leave because of him then he needs to go. I hope I'm not the only one who understands that is a problem.

I disagree. No matter who the coach is, they should always keep the players best interests in mind. It would have been like TO or Solich going out and trying to land the best WR's in the country telling them we're going to become a passing team. Then once we get them here, we keep running the option and telling them to block block block.

First of all, you don't know what questions are being asked of him. You don't know that after being questioned about his status that he didn't say: if you're so uncertain about my status being here next year then maybe you need to do what's best for you. Or, if you're strictly coming here to Nebraska to be coached by me, then maybe you need to do what's best for you.

The last thing I want to see this program go through is to have a bunch of players leave after next year because they were mislead. I think this is why we saw so many defections after BC's heralded #5 or whatever recruiting class. IMO, the incoming recruits need the truth and nothing less!

New Coaching Options....BO PELINI

I heard that though TO is not making changes to the staff until the end of the season that there may be a few coaches on the short list. Nebraska has always been known for great running and great defense.

I heard thatTO is strongly considering bringing back Bo Pelini who is one of the best up and coming Defensive minds in College Football! TO bring him in as head coach and then have him bring in a great offensive mind who has the offensive control woudl help a lot. Look at what Pelini did with our players in the one year he was at NU before. It was a mistake to let him go and it appears that TO is going to bring him back!

I disagree. No matter who the coach is, they should always keep the players best interests in mind. It would have been like TO or Solich going out and trying to land the best WR's in the country telling them we're going to become a passing team. Then once we get them here, we keep running the option and telling them to block block block.

First of all, you don't know what questions are being asked of him. You don't know that after being questioned about his status that he didn't say: if you're so uncertain about my status being here next year then maybe you need to do what's best for you. Or, if you're strictly coming here to Nebraska to be coached by me, then maybe you need to do what's best for you.

The last thing I want to see this program go through is to have a bunch of players leave after next year because they were mislead. I think this is why we saw so many defections after BC's heralded #5 or whatever recruiting class. IMO, the incoming recruits need the truth and nothing less!

I stand corrected. You must be right. BC and his staff should just tell all of the recruits to go elsewhere since we are clearly the worst team in the Big 12 North. When they go on recruiting visits they should tell the kids that there are at least 50 programs in the country they would be better off committing to right now. What is wrong with you? They don't have to lie to anyone, they really can't. I'm just saying don't sell us down the river and give up recruiting.

:yeah If you want to be known as a class program you have to treat the kids with class and telling them lies about you being here next year when you don't know doesn't reflect class. Telling them the truth is the right thing to do. TO would do the same thing and I bet he has no problem with Callahan doing so, that's why TO wants to get involved and sell the tradition by having recruits calling him. Seems like just another thing people want to pile on Callahan and staff about, they honestly can do no right with people. They could win this weekend and many would still bash him for winning and making the decision to fire him more difficult. I'm frankly getting tired of it.

He wasn't quoted as saying go somewhere else. He was quoted as saying do what's best for you! Even if he was going to be the HC for the next 10 years, I would hope he would tell all recruits to do what was best for them. From what I've read, the only week they haven't hit the recruiting trail hard and heavy was last week for obvious reasons with Pud getting the axe and everything going on. The last thing any team ever needs is players being there that don't want to be there. See how well that works for teams in the pros. Players should always do what is best for them.

:yeah If you want to be known as a class program you have to treat the kids with class and telling them lies about you being here next year when you don't know doesn't reflect class. Telling them the truth is the right thing to do. TO would do the same thing and I bet he has no problem with Callahan doing so, that's why TO wants to get involved and sell the tradition by having recruits calling him. Seems like just another thing people want to pile on Callahan and staff about, they honestly can do no right with people. They could win this weekend and many would still bash him for winning and making the decision to fire him more difficult. I'm frankly getting tired of it.

Time out guys, no one is saying to lie to recruits. I'm just saying don't act flippant and say "Hey kid, do what you gotta do."

Perhaps, "Listen, I'm not sure that we are going to be here next year, but I've got a lot of respect for Nebraska football and Tom Osborne. This would be a great place for you to come play college football and learn about tradition and class. I believe that we are headed towards something big and special here and I just hope we can both be a part of it."

Something that doesn't leave these kids thinking they need to run as fast as they can, because that is what it seems like they are getting right now.

I have heard Gabbert isnt as good as some people say he is.. Great player at practice but doesnt do well in game time.. Just what I heard so not sure if I should really care if he stays or goes.. I guess I just dont want to see him playing for Mizzu or any other big 12 school...

This sounds really familiar...

Time out guys, no one is saying to lie to recruits. I'm just saying don't act flippant and say "Hey kid, do what you gotta do."

Perhaps, "Listen, I'm not sure that we are going to be here next year, but I've got a lot of respect for Nebraska football and Tom Osborne. This would be a great place for you to come play college football and learn about tradition and class. I believe that we are headed towards something big and special here and I just hope we can both be a part of it."

Something that doesn't leave these kids thinking they need to run as fast as they can, because that is what it seems like they are getting right now.

How do you know they don't do that? Do you sit in on the meetings? Your basis for them "saying" to recruits to just go do what they need to do because we don't know if we'll be here next year is that a friend of yours heard on the radio that Gabbert said that. This is as much of speculation and rumor as everything with who the new coach will be or if Callahan will resign. You have no concrete basis or proof that the coaching staff is saying "We may not be here next year and do what's best for you." You think the recruits can't read between the lines and see that his job is in trouble and maybe make this inference on their own or with the help of their parents or even the help of coaches recruiting them from other schools?

How do you know they don't do that? Do you sit in on the meetings? Your basis for them "saying" to recruits to just go do what they need to do because we don't know if we'll be here next year is that a friend of yours heard on the radio that Gabbert said that. This is as much of speculation and rumor as everything with who the new coach will be or if Callahan will resign. You have no concrete basis or proof that the coaching staff is saying "We may not be here next year and do what's best for you." You think the recruits can't read between the lines and see that his job is in trouble and maybe make this inference on their own or with the help of their parents or even the help of coaches recruiting them from other schools?

I know that these kids are telling people "Hey, I was told to look out for my best interests". I didn't sit in on this meeting or that conversation, but it certainly doesn't seem like any of these kids have anything good to say about us now. This staff needs to go and go now.

I know that these kids are telling people "Hey, I was told to look out for my best interests". I didn't sit in on this meeting or that conversation, but it certainly doesn't seem like any of these kids have anything good to say about us now. This staff needs to go and go now.

You still haven't told me how you know. Because everyone else is saying the kids are saying it? Everyoen has been saying that Callahan was going to resign for a big buyout too, and that hasn't happened. I would just like to know how you know the kids are saying this is all, from reading it on a message board???

Well if you saw Big Red Wrap Up that basically what Will Compton is quoted as saying that Cosgrove told him. That might be concrete evidence for some people.

Ok, I'm ok with your statement. However if BC is in negotiations for a contract buy out, he'd still be lying saying I hope we can both be a part of it. I do get what you're saying, and this may be in fact what he is telling recruits. None of us know exactly what he's telling them.

None of them are really running though are they? Gabbert is still on the fence right? We did just land the #1 Juco recruit in the land. I'm still ok with how things are going in terms of the recruits. I do agree with the guys on Sports Nightly about if a recruit is committing to a coaching staff then maybe A) we don't want them in the first place B) they do need to look elsewhere.

I think what you're overlooking is the fact that BC, IMO, has never tried to sell recruits on NU's tradition and class. He always tried to sell them on we're playing a prostyle offense and I did coach a Super Bowl. If he changes his position now, he's already lost those recruits he was initially bringing on board.

I would really feel bad for someone like Gabbert if he did end up coming here only to be met by a new coach running a power running game or option (Johnson) that he probably isn't really athletically equipped to run. IMO, Wilson Thomas was probably the biggest wastes of talent to ever go through the Husker program. I always felt like he should have went to a passing team because he could have been awesome. He was tall, he could jump like a deer, and he was extremely fast. I still remember him running down Eric Crouch just to try to get a block in for him!

I think what you're overlooking is the fact that BC, IMO, has never tried to sell recruits on NU's tradition and class. He always tried to sell them on we're playing a prostyle offense and I did coach a Super Bowl. If he changes his position now, he's already lost those recruits he was initially bringing on board.

BC

Press conference

All I tell them is that they’re making decisions for a lot of reasons, for the academics, the traditions and things in place here at Nebraska are great qualities. I have no problem selling that. But I just let them know, just hang with us and we’ll see what happens. I can’t make any promises, because I can’t. I’m not getting any promises, so I can’t make any promises to them. It hurts. We just have to deal with the cards that have been laid out for us and do the best we can.”

Doesn't sound like He's telling them that according to some recruits or he didn't tell Kevin Cosgrove to say that.