Will Shields???

Apathy

Does anybody think that Will Shields would be a hell of an offensive line coach. I know a lot of people don't like NFL coaches to coach at Nebraska and I would agree to that but with Will Shields with no coaching experience coaching the O-Line would be the smartest thing to do. This guy is an All-American/All Star/Hall of Famer to play that position for 14 years and he played for NEBRASKA. He could teach these guys a few tricks on technique, foot work, posture, and how to block. If we were to get a new Offensive Line coach I would be looking at this guy and I don't care if he hasn't coached before....you have to start somewhere!!!

The best thing to do for the line is to get guys that will line up and just knock the #@%** out of the DL.

I remember when Toniu Fonoti was a frosh. He'd go up to the line, and Raiola would just point to a DL and say "block him". None of the fancy "chip him and then go for the LB crap. It was "just knock him on his butt"

The best thing to do for the line is to get guys that will line up and just knock the #@%** out of the DL.

I remember when Toniu Fonoti was a frosh. He'd go up to the line, and Raiola would just point to a DL and say "block him". None of the fancy "chip him and then go for the LB crap. It was "just knock him on his butt"

The best pass block is a pancake. I dont know one defensive linemen that can sack a QB when on their back.

Yes that was how to dominate. Can someone remind me why the current staff in their "wisdom" decided to do away with the pancake blocks?

The best pass block is a pancake. I dont know one defensive linemen that can sack a QB when on their back.

Wouldn't it be difficult to pancake someone while pass blocking since to pancake you have to drive off and over someone, but if you do that you end up 3 yards down the field with a penalty flag....

Does anybody think that Will Shields would be a hell of an offensive line coach. I know a lot of people don't like NFL coaches to coach at Nebraska and I would agree to that but with Will Shields with no coaching experience coaching the O-Line would be the smartest thing to do. This guy is an All-American/All Star/Hall of Famer to play that position for 14 years and he played for NEBRASKA. He could teach these guys a few tricks on technique, foot work, posture, and how to block. If we were to get a new Offensive Line coach I would be looking at this guy and I don't care if he hasn't coached before....you have to start somewhere!!!

The reason you can't take a great player with no coaching experience and assume he'll be a great coach is because coaching is all about *teaching*. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of people out there with the *knowledge* required to be an offensive line coach (I'll bet Wagner knows just as much as Shields when it comes to technique, blocking schemes, etc) but very few with the *teaching* ability. That's why you look for people with teaching, i.e. coaching, experience.

The reason you can't take a great player with no coaching experience and assume he'll be a great coach is because coaching is all about *teaching*. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands of people out there with the *knowledge* required to be an offensive line coach (I'll bet Wagner knows just as much as Shields when it comes to technique, blocking schemes, etc) but very few with the *teaching* ability. That's why you look for people with teaching, i.e. coaching, experience.

Can't get that coaching experience until someone hire you. Arron Graham was looking to join this staff when they first came in 2004. Did he ever get into coaching?