No Place for moral victories

Hey,

First of all, I'll not bash the players for an increased effort today. However, though most of us acknowledge the increased efforts of today, I have no idea why some fans are considering this a "good" or a "great" effort. Some are saying, "Well, we almost had 'em." Yep. Still not acceptable. This was a team at the outset of the season that most of us EXPECTED at least the following: 1. Big 12 North Champions 2. Finally, a signature win against a Top 10 team 3. More offensive firepower 4. The ability to finish games (i.e. the "killshot.")

Well, folks, here I am, reading about this "great effort" against #19 ranked Texas and how we shoulda coulda woulda this and that. Though I am encouraged by the increased effort and intensity, what we saw today can be simply explained.

A bad team played a mediocre team. The bad team played harder and more consistently than they usually do for 75% of the game. In the end, the mediocre team beat the bad team by attacking the bad team with a particular play that the bad team is the worst at defending.

As the record gets worse, I am seeing that people's expectations for this team get lower, so much so that our fifth loss is actually a turning point because we have a bad team that found the strength to play better.

This has reached a new level of pathetic. I can remember being a kid and waking up on a Sunday after a loss with the same feeling as if a loved one died. When teams would beat us, campuses would riot and goal posts came down. Not any more. It's no big deal to beat Nebraska nowadays. And somehow we should accept that an increased effort indicates hope for the remainder of the season, or even hope for the future under the current staff. I'm not buying, nor should any Husker fan. Consistent losing is not acceptable under any circumstance.

Losing is NOT acceptable at Nebraska...no matter what. But we need to realize where the problem is and do something to fix it when we do.

Winning is the objective...but we have to do it the right way, and show good sportmanship when we do win...and when we lose.

NVA,

Totally agree with you that the heart and intensity were up. Also, individual student athletes should not be personally attacked by those of us who do not and have not played for Nebraska. Agreement on that point as well. I am trying to make light of the fact that our standards as a fan base insofar as expectations for this team seem to dwindle to more and more basic as each week passes. Thanks for reading the post!

These kids played their asses off today and I am proud of every single one of them!!!!!!!!!!

ITA here's my positives:

I am extremely happy, they gave a great effort. :clap

1) There was not many delay of games

2) only one interception

3) Blitzing

4) More than a 3 man front

5) played 2 minute offense

6) Didn't try to use the same ball carrier through out the whole game

7) Most of all: THEY DIDN'T GIVE UP! :worship

Seven great reasons why I am happy but at the same time, I am sadden Keller was hurt. It worried me when Ganz had to take over. I guess I forgot how well he can QB. I got excited when I saw him keep the ball and run it. It reminded me of TO's offense. I think these next games Ganz will be QB and that is ok with me as long as they play like they did today. For the first time, I have hope maybe not bowl game hope but hope. :woo

Losing is not acceptable, but we've seen what this team can do, and we've learned that nobody associated with Nebraska football believes this season is over.

When this team plays loose, without distractions, and just focus and give it their all, they can do a lot. This season has been hard on them. The distractions have been crushing. And now they've dug deep and turned it around. They must believe in themselves, now, after this game. More importantly, I hope those of us who doubted (I was one of them) will believe in them too.

This shows that our season is not down the tubes, and we're not just going to lay down and let people run all over us. We can play with anybody. We've turned the corner and now we're going to make the most of what's left.

And DID YOU SEE THE WAY THOSE GUYS TACKLED TODAY?!? AWESOME!! :D

These kids played their asses off today and I am proud of every single one of them!!!!!!!!!!

ITA here's my positives:

I am extremely happy, they gave a great effort. :clap

1) There was not many delay of games

2) only one interception

3) Blitzing

4) More than a 3 man front

5) played 2 minute offense

6) Didn't try to use the same ball carrier through out the whole game

7) Most of all: THEY DIDN'T GIVE UP! :worship

Seven great reasons why I am happy but at the same time, I am sadden Keller was hurt. It worried me when Ganz had to take over. I guess I forgot how well he can QB. I got excited when I saw him keep the ball and run it. It reminded me of TO's offense. I think these next games Ganz will be QB and that is ok with me as long as they play like they did today. For the first time, I have hope maybe not bowl game hope but hope. :woo

correct me if im wrong, its been known to happen <_< , but we didnt get intercepted did we? i believe there was a fumble but not an interception. just curious.

Losing is not acceptable, but we've seen what this team can do, and we've learned that nobody associated with Nebraska football believes this season is over.

When this team plays loose, without distractions, and just focus and give it their all, they can do a lot. This season has been hard on them. The distractions have been crushing. And now they've dug deep and turned it around. They must believe in themselves, now, after this game. More importantly, I hope those of us who doubted (I was one of them) will believe in them too.

This shows that our season is not down the tubes, and we're not just going to lay down and let people run all over us. We can play with anybody. We've turned the corner and now we're going to make the most of what's left.

agreed, i saw some sweet looking tackles! and then i had some fun. :wasted

im proud of the way that the players played they seemed to have the fight in them to win the heart to keep getting up when they where knocked down, but the bottom line is that they did not win the game. I belived we would of had shot of tying or winning the game is charles didnt pickup that last first down. I hate to say it but we were just a few good plays from wining the game( gosh i felt like callahan there for a second)

You have got to be kidding me.

One guy in one quarter had over 200 yards rushing.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21408

I read alot of posts and it seems to me as "husker nation" we are now "happy" with the players do not quit till the game is over. We are "happy" that we were able to score a few points against a 19-20 ranked team. We are "happy" that we went on the road and did not get humiliated on national T.V. We are "happy" that our defense gave a ''good'' effort. We are "happy" that we still have a "chance" to go to a bowl. Our expectations have really grown under this staff. After all he has done an "excellent" job! <_<