The Pinkel Factor has arrived

hskernation

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Missouri safety Cornelius "Pig" Brown ruptured his right Achilles tendon in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 42-28 victory over Iowa State, a big blow to the Tigers' improving defense.

Brown, a senior, was carted off the field late in the game after coming up lame while pursuing a play. Twice this season he has been Big 12 player of the week. He had 10 tackles, one for a 5-yard loss, before the injury.

"It's going to hurt," quarterback Chase Daniel said. "He's a captain, he's a leader and he's been playing unbelievably well these last three or four weeks.

"To lose him would be a big blow but that's why we have depth. We'll adjust."

Brown, who joined the program as a California junior college product last year, was the conference player of the week for the second time last week. In a 41-10 victory over Texas Tech, he had 14 tackles, 4 1/2 of them for a loss, an interception and two pass breakups.

He moved into the starting lineup this year after getting one start as a junior. Del Howard, a sophomore who switched to safety from cornerback this season, would likely replace him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3082788

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Missouri safety Cornelius "Pig" Brown ruptured his right Achilles tendon in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 42-28 victory over Iowa State, a big blow to the Tigers' improving defense.

Brown, a senior, was carted off the field late in the game after coming up lame while pursuing a play. Twice this season he has been Big 12 player of the week. He had 10 tackles, one for a 5-yard loss, before the injury.

"It's going to hurt," quarterback Chase Daniel said. "He's a captain, he's a leader and he's been playing unbelievably well these last three or four weeks.

Brown, who joined the program as a California junior college product last year, was the conference player of the week for the second time last week. In a 41-10 victory over Texas Tech, he had 14 tackles, 4 1/2 of them for a loss, an interception and two pass breakups.

He moved into the starting lineup this year after getting one start as a junior. Del Howard, a sophomore who switched to safety from cornerback this season, would likely replace him.

It was terrible to see him go down. The guy plays with a lot of heart and to go out like that sucks for him. He is going to continue to travel with the team though, so hopefully he can continue to provide leadership.

Who gives a squirt about MU's injury problems. The guy is a punk! I don't care how good he is, it does not excuse the fact that he left his feet and tried to use his helmet as a weapon on Mo. He got exactly what he deserves. And I thought I wasted my time making that voodoo doll of him. Although that is not exactly where I was sticking the pins.

Who gives a squirt about MU's injury problems. The guy is a punk! I don't care how good he is, it does not excuse the fact that he left his feet and tried to use his helmet as a weapon on Mo. He got exactly what he deserves. And I thought I wasted my time making that voodoo doll of him. Although that is not exactly where I was sticking the pins.

I'm a Mizzou fan, and I certainly wouldn't wish any injury on any opposing teams players no matter what I thought of the player. It is always terrible to see any player go down no matter who he plays for, and when it is a senior it especially sucks. While I certainly agree with the penalty called against Pig when he went at MO, I don't think he was intending for the play to come out like he did. I have watched the reply, and I think his view of the play was blocked and that he was just trying to get in there and make a hit.

I'm a Mizzou fan, and I certainly wouldn't wish any injury on any opposing teams players no matter what I thought of the player. It is always terrible to see any player go down no matter who he plays for, and when it is a senior it especially sucks. While I certainly agree with the penalty called against Pig when he went at MO, I don't think he was intending for the play to come out like he did. I have watched the reply, and I think his view of the play was blocked and that he was just trying to get in there and make a hit.

Truman, we've picked up a lot of riff raff around here the last month or so. It's never good to see a player get hurt, my appologies for the "Captain"

Truman, we've picked up a lot of riff raff around here the last month or so. It's never good to see a player get hurt, my appologies for the "Captain"

Exactly. Please don't judge all of us by this comment. Injuries are nothing to laugh about.

Pig Brown was overly aggresive on the play with Purify and to be honest, at the time I thought he should have been ejected for the hit. That being said, we could only be so lucky to have our guys play with Pig's passion and energy this year.

An Achilles injury is a tough injury to recover from and a big loss. Here's hoping to a successful recovery.

That's what happens when your name is 'Pig'. :) Just kidding

That's what happens when your name is 'Pig'. :) Just kidding

I've never understood coaches that dont take out key players when you have a big lead. they were up 3 td's with 13 minutes left. why not give a younger kid some PT? I guess they will get it now.

Bummer for him and Mizzou, but he's still a dirty player and a loud mouth. I'm not saying he deserved it, but I'd be lying if I said the first thing that popped into my head after seeing the injury on TV wasn't "man, karma's a bitch sometimes."

Listen, I agree that the Brown play against Nebraska was an over aggressive hit and he was penalized for the play. Brown isn't a headhunter and that is the only personal foul he had on the season.

I am sure that many of Nebraska's players have made bad judgements in their careers and were flagged for their "over" exuberant play, but that didn't define their career. That one hit on Purify doesn't define Brown.

Sorry to see Keller out for the year, solid player.. hope he makes it to the next level.

Good Luck to the Huskers

Bummer for him and Mizzou, but he's still a dirty player and a loud mouth. I'm not saying he deserved it, but I'd be lying if I said the first thing that popped into my head after seeing the injury on TV wasn't "man, karma's a bitch sometimes."

Listen, I agree that the Brown play against Nebraska was an over aggressive hit and he was penalized for the play. Brown isn't a headhunter and that is the only personal foul he had on the season.

I am sure that many of Nebraska's players have made bad judgements in their careers and were flagged for their "over" exuberant play, but that didn't define their career. That one hit on Purify doesn't define Brown.

There have been some 15-yard facemask penalties, but I can't recall any unnecessary roughness calls this season. I certainly don't remember a deliberate helmet-to-helmet hit on a defenseless player during a dead ball.