Cupboard Not Bare

The probability of having an outstanding year for a first year coach is very, very small.

oh i wouldn't necessarily say that. Saban (coaching Bama now) and Weiss in his first year were very successful, right outta the chute.

Coker won a championship his first year. Urban Meyer did great his first year..... It all depends on the Talent that you were left with. In Nebraskas case the cupboard is damn near full of talent, we just need to coach it.

BTW, Potter, Simi and Suh have me excited for next years D :bonez line

I think everyone wanting a better front 4 on D forgets is the fact that our D is on the field a lot. Against Iowa State, they had like 101 or something rediculous like that for offensive plays. I'm assuming the next coach will remember that his RB's actually can run the ball at times rather than simply catching passes in the flat. Our D this year probably wouldn't be LAST in D1 in run defense if they weren't on the field so friggin much. Texas ran all over us in the 4th qtr. because our D was so tired for having been on the field all game.

I think everyone wanting a better front 4 on D forgets is the fact that our D is on the field a lot. Against Iowa State, they had like 101 or something rediculous like that for offensive plays. I'm assuming the next coach will remember that his RB's actually can run the ball at times rather than simply catching passes in the flat. Our D this year probably wouldn't be LAST in D1 in run defense if they weren't on the field so friggin much. Texas ran all over us in the 4th qtr. because our D was so tired for having been on the field all game.

And everyone forgets they're four new starters, though I expected them to be playing better by now. I suspect poor LB play has had a lot to do with making the DLine look bad and keeping the D on the field way too much. Hopefully the Dline will be better as a unit after what they've gone through this year and we can get better performance from new starting LBs.

It largely depends on what the new coach's schemes...but I agree...the talent is there--it just depends on if the new guy can use 'em or if he tries to bring in "his system".

A good coach will tailor his team around the strengths of it's players from year to year.

Look at the variety of Osborne's many years, all within the same offense and defense. The only major change that I remember (and I have been watching Nebraska football since 1962, when I was 5), was the change from the 5-2 defense to the 4-3 in 1992 (the Lincoln Assassination). Nebraska led the nation in passing a couple of times in the early 70's. Several quarterbacks went on to start in the NFL. Other times the

offfense was more balanced. Later on the run ws emphasized.

A GOOD COACH WILL TAILOR HIS TEAM AROUND THE STRENGTHS OF IT'S PLAYERS FROM YEAR TO YEAR.

Who ever the next coach is will find plenty of talent on his team. We may lose over half of this recruiting class, but I think what the next crop of high school seniors see in the Huskers, will open their eyes again. Just with the 3 Qb's we have, bunch of running backs, receivers aplenty. Good bunch of defensive players waiting their turn. Its not all gloom and doom people. This program could just bounce back quicker than we think.

GBR!!! :corndance:corndance:corndance

Agree! The talent is there, but we can all see that it means nothing without coaches who can teach, motivate or scheme!

Sadly (and I think most agree), this team had talent this year, but the coaches seemed to be reluctant to tailor anything they do to the talent, instead relying on their systems.

Watch out if we get new coaches in next year. People are going to see plays and playmakers and are going to ask why BC didn't play these guys more. The answer will always be - because they didn't understand everything about the system so the less talented, but more experienced guys got to play.