Pelini's LSU defense giving up big points!

rkhufu7

I was just looking at box score and LSU still only gave up 254 yards with just 20 yards against the run. Alabama had a punt return for a TD, and one drive was only a 20 yard drive for a TD as well as a couple field goals off of short drives. I would take that over what we have.

LSU's offense turned the ball over to bama 3 times, too.

I just looked up the defensive stats according to the NCAA and LSU is ranked 2nd in overall defense allowing only 234.67 yards a game. They are 4th in rush defense allowing 65.9 a game and 6th in pass defense allowing 168.78 yards a game. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Link Total D - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

Link Rus D - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

Link Pass D - http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?ye...ef&site=org

I just looked up the defensive stats according to the NCAA and LSU is ranked 2nd in overall defense allowing only 234.67 yards a game. They are 4th in rush defense allowing 65.9 a game and 6th in pass defense allowing 168.78 yards a game. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

OSU is #1 in points allowed and Kansas is #2, LSU is number 10! LSU has some CRAZY yards allowed early in season, which pads the yardage stats, but over last 4 weeks they have not been impressive at all! So why Pelini over anyone else? No LEGIT argument can be made! Why are SEC teams with 3 LOSSES still ranked? They are trying to keep LSU's strength of schedule above the other 1 loss teams and trying to help them edge out a possible 13-0 Kansas if it comes down to it.

I don't know that the final score is always a reflection of the way his defense has played. For example, last night, 7 of Alabama's points were on a punt return, and Flynn threw 3 INTs that gave them great field position. That's been a problem for LSU lately--giving the ball up and spotting the other team great field position. There's only so much a D can do when the other team gets that many shots near your red zone.

And when the team needed a big play, the defense was there every time in the 4th quarter. Those players are motivated to make plays at all costs. We need a monster safety like Steltz at UNL. Did anybody see his "game-winning" hit last night??

You mean wee need a coach to motivate and develope a Monster Saftey right? I for one believe we have the players and atheletes.

LSU has played 4 pretty good teams in the last 4 weeks and have an overall tougher schedule than Oklahoma has. I saw that you suggested Venables (Oklahoma) or Strong (FLorida). What makes them better? Oklahoma and LSU are pretty close in most defensive statistical areas but Florida is 52nd in scoring defense compared to 10th for LSU. Florida is 18th in rushing defense and LSU is 4th. Florida is 79th in pass defense and LSU is 6th. So how are they better ?

LSU has played 4 pretty good teams in the last 4 weeks and have an overall tougher schedule than Oklahoma has. I saw that you suggested Venables (Oklahoma) or Strong (FLorida). What makes them better? Oklahoma and LSU are pretty close in most defensive statistical areas but Florida is 52nd in scoring defense compared to 10th for LSU. Florida is 18th in rushing defense and LSU is 4th. Florida is 79th in pass defense and LSU is 6th. So how are they better ?

I asked that question earlier and I'm still waiting for a response.

My guess is that we'll not get one (assuming that the poster does some research before throwing names out there).

Did anyone bother to look at any stats from yesterday, rather than just the points given up?

Yes, they gave up 34 points (7 from PR), but look at the bigger picture.

- 254 total yards allowed

- Parker-Wilson: 14-40 (no, not a misprint) 234 yards, 3 TDs 1 INTs

- Top rusher for 'Bama: 10 carries for 31 yards

- 7 sacks

- .6 yards per rush allowed

- 14 penalties committed

So you decide what led to the amount of points yesterday for 'Bama. Stupid mistakes on the part of LSU (both their D and O) or the 'Bama offense just eating them up.

OSU is #1 in points allowed and Kansas is #2, LSU is number 10! LSU has some CRAZY yards allowed early in season, which pads the yardage stats, but over last 4 weeks they have not been impressive at all! So why Pelini over anyone else? No LEGIT argument can be made! Why are SEC teams with 3 LOSSES still ranked? They are trying to keep LSU's strength of schedule above the other 1 loss teams and trying to help them edge out a possible 13-0 Kansas if it comes down to it.

You're not the most intellectually gifted are you?

LSU is #10! OMG!! Like being the 10th best scoring D is bad or something?

"LSU has some CRAZY yards allowed early in the season, which pads the yardage stats."

You do realize that statement can be said for EVERY BCS team, right? Please tell me you're smart enough to realize that?

"but over the last 4 weeks they have not been impressive at all!"

Florida - held to 314 yards - they're averaging 440 per game = held to 126 yards LESS than average.

Kentucky - held to 375 yards - they're averaging 450 per game = held to 75 yards LESS than average.

Auburn - held to 296 yards - they're averaging 343 per game = held to 47 yards LESS than average.

Alabama - held to 254 yards - they're averaging 396 per game = held to 142 yards LESS than average.

They only game in which one could even make an semi-valid argument about Bo's defense struggling a little would be the Kentucky game. I only say that because that's their ONLY loss so far this season.

"Why are 3 loss SEC teams still ranked?"

Probably because they're pretty good teams. Do you not think that FLorida or Auburn deserve to be in the top 25? Can you name 25 schools that would definitely beat them?

"No LEGIT argument can be made"

#1 He's been here before, he's familiar with our tradition.

#2 He wants to come back.

#3 He's a winner.

#4 He can relate well to his players and he knows how to motivate them.

#5 We'll regret it if we don't take him.

If you are going on defense why not hire the VA-TECH DC? He has been great for years and very consistent. LSU lacks dicipline and its not like they have the best defense, that goes to OSU. Tougher teams, then why don't they shut those teams down, hold them to 17 or fewer points? LSU has GREAT athl;etes on defense, but he should be hold these better teams to 17 or less with the talent he has if he is ethe greatest DC available, which he isn't. Take Pelini and watch your program be sub-ordinary for yearsc to come. TO knows that in this age of basically no prop 48s or partials and higher Big 12 standards, you have to get a coach that can RECRUIT. Picking a WEIRD looking guy that has only coached great talent and is not a GREAT recruiter is not gonna helt NU. A DC is basically only as good as his players, so he hast to have talent brought in and he has to have depth. A special OC takes your team over the top. The dynastic teams have a special offense and a great defense, but the offense is the catalyst. NU, switch to I-formation with TO at OC. OU switch to wishbone, Texas creation of bone, SC and I-formation, Miami and NFL offense, NU adding option to I and then changing defense to 4-3, Florida running fun-n-gun, Florida with run-gun, SC with Norm Chow...

I don't know that the final score is always a reflection of the way his defense has played. For example, last night, 7 of Alabama's points were on a punt return, and Flynn threw 3 INTs that gave them great field position. That's been a problem for LSU lately--giving the ball up and spotting the other team great field position. There's only so much a D can do when the other team gets that many shots near your red zone.

And when the team needed a big play, the defense was there every time in the 4th quarter. Those players are motivated to make plays at all costs. We need a monster safety like Steltz at UNL. Did anybody see his "game-winning" hit last night??

Very true. It wasn't Pelini's defense that gave up the ball to Alabama. See the 4th quarter like captain obvious says. Especially the last few minutes. That is a nasty, hungry, motivated defense.

I'll be glad to have "that" DC here with his system!

Some people knock the fact that his defense has given up points. 24 points? I'd give my left nut to have a defensive cordinator that only gives up 24 points a game!!!!! Sad but true at this point. He gives up in 3 "bad games" What Kevin"Somebodies gonna have a career day!" Kosgrove gives up in ONE.

"

I'm the guy that laughed at the talent before the season! You guys wer talking about Bowman coming back and shutting folks down and Octavian doing this and that... You don't have the overall team speed, nor the studs in the front 7! Why do you think KU put up the basketball numbers? The TO offense was a great aid to the defense!

If you are going on defense why not hire the VA-TECH DC? He has been great for years and very consistent. LSU lacks dicipline and its not like they have the best defense, that goes to OSU. Tougher teams, then why don't they shut those teams down, hold them to 17 or fewer points? LSU has GREAT athl;etes on defense, but he should be hold these better teams to 17 or less with the talent he has if he is ethe greatest DC available, which he isn't. Take Pelini and watch your program be sub-ordinary for yearsc to come. TO knows that in this age of basically no prop 48s or partials and higher Big 12 standards, you have to get a coach that can RECRUIT. Picking a WEIRD looking guy that has only coached great talent and is not a GREAT recruiter is not gonna helt NU. A DC is basically only as good as his players, so he hast to have talent brought in and he has to have depth. A special OC takes your team over the top. The dynastic teams have a special offense and a great defense, but the offense is the catalyst. NU, switch to I-formation with TO at OC. OU switch to wishbone, Texas creation of bone, SC and I-formation, Miami and NFL offense, NU adding option to I and then changing defense to 4-3, Florida running fun-n-gun, Florida with run-gun, SC with Norm Chow...

I should probably quit waisting my time by responding to your incoherent posts.

"LSU has GREAT athl;etes on defense, but he should be hold these better teams to 17 or less..." That's what I mean by 'incoherent'.

As far as OSU having the best D this year...who exactly have they even played yet? Their defense (which has many of the same players) didn't look all that great against Florida last year.

Bud Foster, Va Tech's DC is among the best in college football, that I can agree with. However, going by your standards what makes him better than Bo Pelini when you take into consideration the a** raping LSU handed his D earlier this year?