Ranking the Big 12 North Coaches

(1) Mangino - On top by virtue of undefeated season

(2) Pinkel - His breakthrough season?

(3) Hawkins - Doing more with less

(4) Prince - A hair below Hawkins

(5) Chizik - What could he do with talent?

(6) Callahan- Obviously the worst coach in the big 12

I disagree. Mack Brown is the worst coach in the Big 12. Guy f'ing sucks.

Maybe so, but when the sh#t hits the fan from Mack, it settles and there is Callahan. At least Mack tries.

The question was Big Twelve North

He stated Big XII in his post and I beleive that's what he meant.

He stated Big XII in his post and I beleive that's what he meant.

:yeah

I might take Hawkins over Pinkel. Hawkins is playing a lot of young guys and dealing with the results of Barney's date-rape-scandal recruit-classes. Now that he actually has a qb they are headed in the right direction and will be steadily improving. Pinkel seems to have improved but has had way more time than Hawkins. I think CU will be damn dangerous in a few years when they have some real talent.

I don't know about that. Mack Brown gets ace recruiting classes, coaches them like crud, and they manage to win 9-10 games a year anyway. Bill Callahan gets ace recruiting classes and they actually REGRESS in ability and performance. I'd give the better-coach nod to Mack Brown.

I might take Hawkins over Pinkel. Hawkins is playing a lot of young guys and dealing with the results of Barney's date-rape-scandal recruit-classes. Now that he actually has a qb they are headed in the right direction and will be steadily improving. Pinkel seems to have improved but has had way more time than Hawkins. I think CU will be damn dangerous in a few years when they have some real talent.

Hmmmm...maybe...hard to say yet. I think you have to put Chizik above Prince...just based on last weekends game alone.

I'd shake things up a bit:

(1) Mangino - As long as he continues to cheat death, Kansas will continue to cheat suckiness.

(2) Hawkins/Prince (tie) - Hawkins is doing better with recruiting, but Prince has produced a more consistent product on the field. Both are top shelf from a PR standpoint and meld perfectly with their schools' surrounding communities and fan bases. The next few years should be very interesting for both of these programs, especially CU (if the good recruiting continues, Cody Hawkins will quickly go from being one of the better players on the field to one of the worst players on the field... what do you do then?)

(4) Chizik - He hasn't done much this year, but doing anything with nothing is impressive. Past few weeks have definitely shown that his players are starting to buy in to his system... it's not a good time for my Buffs to be rolling into Ames.

(5) Pinkel - Mizzou's had top tier talent for this whole decade, and have done something with it exactly once (0 times if you don't count this season). I'm still waiting for the wheels to fall off, but even if they don't this year could easily be seen as more of an aberration than anything else. If he wins this year AND next year... well, then he's turned a corner. As is I'd just say that he's SEEN a corner, turning around it is a whole different issue.

(6) Callahan - Don't kid yourselves, Callahan is easily the worst coach in the Big XII. Franchione runs 11th, and that guy from Baylor runs 10th (the lowest I'd ever rate a Baylor coach is 10th, as there's really no way to objectively analyze how good of a coaching job they're actually doing).

You folks that think Mack Brown is the worst coach in the Big XII need to put down the bottle for a minute or two; all the guy has done is CONSISTENTLY produce 10 win seasons wherever he's been (brought the Tarheels into the top ten, then he left for Texas, afterwards the Tarheels immediately dropped back into the edge of the top 85), and won a National Championship over one of the most talented football teams of all time. Yeah, he had VY... blah blah blah, so what? VY was one of the greats, but you could put him at Colorado with Gary Barnett and I'll assure you we wouldn't be polishing one of those crystal footballs in Boulder right now. Even in a down year, Mack ranks no lower than 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Mack Brown is a fine coach and a gentleman. I would have him for Nebraska's coach anytime.

Mangino is an above-average coach, not great. He is, however, a great motivator who has consistently had teams that play hard and never give up.

Pinkel is an average coach that has historically shot himself in the foot. He has the blessing of having some kids this year with determination.

Bill Callahan is an arrogant, egotistical prick.

This is a tough one, on one hand it is hard to argue with Mangino, but the problem I have is he is one play away from a heart attack on the field, now I am not being a dick, I am serious, it could happen at any momnet. Pinkel, well, he might be my vote, he looks to be building a solid program, it appears that your Gabbert guy might end up in Columbia afterall, so I would rate him a little higher then Mangino. Ron Prince, the enigma of the Big 12, this guy seems like a guy that can really dive into your game plan and obliterate it, yet he also likes to lose to people he shouldn't, I think it is early, but give me Freeman and I think I can win some games too. Hawk, wow, no question would I play for him and I think a lot of you guys would too, I know he made the best day in Lincoln is worse then the worse day in Boulder comment but he was only trying to fire his guys up and lately you guys would kill for Throatslash to say the same thing. My only grief with Hawk is his Tuberville style at times, the direct snap to Charles really sucks and he leads the nation in going for it on 4th down which when we suck really sucks. So when he gets his players up to snuff then I think we got something but in the meantime, he doesn't need to be all that ballsy. Cally, I don't think Cally completely sucks but I said from the get go that the West Coast will not work in Lincoln. This is a program and a climate that is made for running it down people's throats and he has done everything he can short of turning into some BYU relic of an offense. Chizik, way too early, yes they have played horrible, but they did beat Iowa and KSU, both are good wins, let's give him some time before we judge.

I'd shake things up a bit:

(1) Mangino - As long as he continues to cheat death, Kansas will continue to cheat suckiness.

(2) Hawkins/Prince (tie) - Hawkins is doing better with recruiting, but Prince has produced a more consistent product on the field. Both are top shelf from a PR standpoint and meld perfectly with their schools' surrounding communities and fan bases. The next few years should be very interesting for both of these programs, especially CU (if the good recruiting continues, Cody Hawkins will quickly go from being one of the better players on the field to one of the worst players on the field... what do you do then?)

(4) Chizik - He hasn't done much this year, but doing anything with nothing is impressive. Past few weeks have definitely shown that his players are starting to buy in to his system... it's not a good time for my Buffs to be rolling into Ames.

(5) Pinkel - Mizzou's had top tier talent for this whole decade, and have done something with it exactly once (0 times if you don't count this season). I'm still waiting for the wheels to fall off, but even if they don't this year could easily be seen as more of an aberration than anything else. If he wins this year AND next year... well, then he's turned a corner. As is I'd just say that he's SEEN a corner, turning around it is a whole different issue.

(6) Callahan - Don't kid yourselves, Callahan is easily the worst coach in the Big XII. Franchione runs 11th, and that guy from Baylor runs 10th (the lowest I'd ever rate a Baylor coach is 10th, as there's really no way to objectively analyze how good of a coaching job they're actually doing).

You folks that think Mack Brown is the worst coach in the Big XII need to put down the bottle for a minute or two; all the guy has done is CONSISTENTLY produce 10 win seasons wherever he's been (brought the Tarheels into the top ten, then he left for Texas, afterwards the Tarheels immediately dropped back into the edge of the top 85), and won a National Championship over one of the most talented football teams of all time. Yeah, he had VY... blah blah blah, so what? VY was one of the greats, but you could put him at Colorado with Gary Barnett and I'll assure you we wouldn't be polishing one of those crystal footballs in Boulder right now. Even in a down year, Mack ranks no lower than 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Pinkel no way has had top ten talent for the past decade. He has only been there 6 years plus this season is number 7. He has had some growing pains, but the past two seasons has done an excellent job.

Missouri has not been outcoached in the past two years. Have we lost games? Of course, but the athletes were in position to make plays, they just didn't get the job done.

Don't underestimate the job Pinkel has done, just proves that sometimes you have to stick with a coach. Let him build a program. Pinkel is a hard working, honest coach who has become a solid gameday coach that makes excellent adjustments at the half.

The Pinkel factor now is a Positive for MU. He is doing a great job, and is "maybe" behind Mangino in the North.

My rankings.

1. Pinkel/Mangino- Winner on the 24th gets 1 all alone

3. Hawkins- Doing a great job in Boulder

4 Chizik- Team improving every week

5 Prince- I think he will improve over time as did Pinkel

6 Callahan-my gosh.. I don't know what to say

South

1. Stoops-one of the best in the nation

2. Brown- wins wherever he has been, national title winner

3. Gundy- Good young coach, like his emotion

4. Leach- I think he is awful, too many chances gives up tremendous field position.. just a little weird

5 Morris- I don't know why.. but he is at Baylor

6 fran- What an idiot