Callahan pulled a Bush...

.... If that guy's behavior and decision making are Christ-like in any way then I'm the Pope.

Apparently Christ wouldn't make your decision making criterion. He hand picked 12 disciples and one was a traitor. What a bad decision. Not very Christ-like.

The point has nothing to do about Cally. It has everything to do about having the eyes of God and being able to distinguish BS from actual statements of faith. Apparently you have that gift, Holy Father.

SERIOUSLY -- GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THIS WAS - WAS A JOKE TO GET EVERYONE'S ATTENTION TO READ AN ARTICLE ON ESPN.

THIS IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A "KNOCK" ON RELIGION OR A ? OF BELIEFS.

I JUST MADE A STATEMENT - A JOKE - GET A LIFE

.... If that guy's behavior and decision making are Christ-like in any way then I'm the Pope.

Apparently Christ wouldn't make your decision making criterion. He hand picked 12 disciples and one was a traitor. What a bad decision. Not very Christ-like.

The point has nothing to do about Cally. It has everything to do about having the eyes of God and being able to distinguish BS from actual statements of faith. Apparently you have that gift, Holy Father.

Near as I can tell, you seem to be under the impression that JC didn't intend to be betrayed, when in fact, that was an important part of the big plan.

...and if Moses was so into God he wouldn't have struck that rock in the desert, and if Peter was so into God he wouldn't have sunk walking on water or denied Christ three times, and if Abraham was so into God he wouldn't have laughed when God told him he would have a child in his old age, and if King David was so into God he wouldn't have committed murder and adultery, and if Jonah was so into God he wouldn't have spent so much time in the belly of the fish...

Is this before or after Frodo wrestled Gollum for the ring? :lol:

If Cally is religious, it is his right and I am happy for him. If he wants to make it public, then by all means he should. I could care less. I think people using the Bush analogy is a good thing, for the more people who start discussing the implementation, misuse, and exploitation of religion in politics the better. If there were a god, I guess that he/she/it would have better things to do than caucus for an American Political party.

Religion in politics = Awful idea. History proves this.

Religion in Sports = Notre Dame..... :dunno

Religion in Church, Home = :corndancechuckleshuffle:band:thumbs

SERIOUSLY -- GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL THIS WAS - WAS A JOKE TO GET EVERYONE'S ATTENTION TO READ AN ARTICLE ON ESPN.

THIS IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A "KNOCK" ON RELIGION OR A ? OF BELIEFS.

I JUST MADE A STATEMENT - A JOKE - GET A LIFE

Shirley you're not serious. thumb_leslie_neilsen.jpg

You really think if any of us had a life, we'd be hanging out here this much?

I miss having my best friend to talk about this stuff with.

And whenever God talks to me it's usually just to complain about some religion.

What is wrong with blasting somebody on their religious beliefs? Why should it be an untouchable subject? Of course he can believe in what he wants to. It's just that if he shows a lack of reasonable thought in his personal life, it just furthers our argument that he doesn't have a clue.

Seems to me from the statements on this board his plan has worked. It got many of you to defend him, when otherwise you were prepared to stone him.

I wanted the guy fired like yesterday. but making fun of him for that is lame.

Speaking of Bush 7 Years ago today was when the whole Bush/Gore Election went down. One is still the President and the other is leading the Hollywood Sheep. :asshat

On a side note NU was the 8-1 and #4 :woo in the nation. Oh how the times have changed. :bang

Also I don’t see how this was intended to be a joke. I do get the point of getting people to read the article however the whole “pulled a Bush” thing to me would appear to be an attempt to flame. Why not say he pulled a “TO :worship or a Ron Brown or a Turner Gill or a Bobby Bowden etc.” why did it have to be Bush? <_< Aside from the fact that if those other guys names were used people wouldn’t be bashing him. (Not that there are many)

Also I don’t see how this was intended to be a joke. I do get the point of getting people to read the article however the whole “pulled a Bush” thing to me would appear to be an attempt to flame. Why not say he pulled a “TO :worship or a Ron Brown or a Turner Gill or a Bobby Bowden etc.” why did it have to be Bush? <_< Aside from the fact that if those other guys names were used people wouldn’t be bashing him. (Not that there are many)

Well, you see, there are parallels between the besieged Husker football program and the United States government, which is currently undertaking a controversial "war on terror."

The Bush administration has used the religious card to rally support ever since 9/11, describing the war as a clash between civilizations ("culture of life" vs. "culture of death"), and the President has said many times that he believes he is doing God's bidding. In America today, gaining support among Christians basically means you have instantly gained the support of the majority of the public that actually goes to the polls and votes. Distracting voters with religious subtexts is also an effective way of controlling public discourse when the administration is undertaking an unpopular endeavor.

Thus, when Bill Callahan, leader of a failing mission, brought God into the discussion, many of us instantly felt compelled to comment on the similarities between him and President Bush. Some of us think this is humorous, since the gravity of the situation surrounding the Nebraska football program pales in comparison to that of a nation committing trillions of dollars to an unprecedented effort of "nation-building." However, now that I have explained the joke, it is officially not funny anymore. You win, I guess.

It's still not offensive, though.

So then would that mean that Solich pulled a Clinton? Had some “success” with smoke and mirrors, had extra martial affairs (allegedly) and when it was all said and done was pretty average at what they did?

Also I got the premise of the “joke” I just thought it was kind of lame. For what it’s worth Bush has said he was a Christian from the very beginning, if I’m not mistaken before he became President to be exact.

So then would that mean that Solich pulled a Clinton? Had some “success” with smoke and mirrors, had extra martial affairs (allegedly) and when it was all said and done was pretty average at what they did?

Clinton also presided over one of the strongest economies in US history and wasn't forced out of office, though. So I'd say Clinton had more success.

Solich was also a remnant of the previous regime, which is completely untrue about Clinton.

I'll concede the similarities with the extramarial affairs, though.

Also I got the premise of the “joke” I just thought it was kind of lame. For what it’s worth Bush has said he was a Christian from the very beginning, if I’m not mistaken before he became President to be exact.

He became a born again Christian right after his wife said she would leave him if he didn't stop getting loaded all the time.* So yes, he has been a Christian since before he even started campaigning for President. He wouldn't have gotten all of the Evangelical votes if he wasn't.

*Educated guess.

Clinton also presided over one of the strongest economies in US history and wasn't forced out of office, though. So I'd say Clinton had more success.

Solich was also a remnant of the previous regime, which is completely untrue about Clinton.

I'll concede the similarities with the extramarial affairs, though.

He became a born again Christian right after his wife said she would leave him if he didn't stop getting loaded all the time.* So yes, he has been a Christian since before he even started campaigning for President. He wouldn't have gotten all of the Evangelical votes if he wasn't.

*Educated guess.

Wasn't Clinton almost booted out of office? I think Clinton gets way to much credit for the economy during his term. Kind of like Solich gets way to much credit for the wins he piled up with TO's recruits.

Aren't all Christians "born again"? Isn't that the whole premise behind asking Jesus into your heart. Just wondering because I hate the term "born again".

Wasn't Clinton almost booted out of office? I think Clinton gets way to much credit for the economy during his term. Kind of like Solich gets way to much credit for the wins he piled up with TO's recruits.

He got impeached, but that was for transgressions that were far less serious than the ones that this administration has committed. I suppose with Solich, at least he was canned on the premise of not doing a good job. Clinton was impeached for lying about something that an investigator had no business asking him about in the first place. I suppose there is a similarity between the two in that they both actually had a pretty large amount of public support at the time of their firing/impeachment. They both just happened to be out of favor with certain high ranking individuals within their organizations who overstepped the boundaries of their jobs to bring about change that they felt was necessary.

None of this really matters, though.

Aren't all Christians "born again"? Isn't that the whole premise behind asking Jesus into your heart. Just wondering because I hate the term "born again".

Not as far as I know. Lots are born into Christian families and raised to hold that doctrine above all other laws. Kind of like becoming a Husker fan (I'm trying to keep this relevant here!).