K-State Gameplan

Has anybody thought about our game plan for K-State this weekend?

K-State gives up around 126 yds on the ground and around 221 through the air. I think if we can get Ganz going on some roll out plays that we can open up the inside running game. The roll outs not only give Ganz the option to run, which he can do, but they also create opportunities for our tight ends to clear on drag routes and our receivers to separate on the out and corner routes. We definitely need to get our tight ends involved early to open it up for Purify. That dude is a beast and needs at least 10 touches a game minimum. If we can force the safeties/linebackers to cover the tight ends or a back coming out of the backfield I think we'll be able to capitalize on some one-on-one coverage and Purify can beat any corner in the Big 12. He showed that last week when he tore up Talib, who is by far the best corner in the Big 12. I'd really like to see Helu gets more carries. He ran the option play well last week and he picked up good yardage on his runs. We need to get him the ball on some short dump passes, he has the ability to make people miss and we sorely need that. That being said Castille is still the guy who's going to keep them honest, if they go to some sort of spy coverage to contain Ganz, Castille should be able to rip off some big runs inside. Hopefully we can see more balance this weekend than last. 50 passes is way to many for a guy like Ganz. After a while he starts losing focus and that's when the INT's happen. He needs to be in simple read plays (play action) and the rest will take care of itself. I was impressed with his composure and I think his ability to run gives him more confidence as the game rolls on. We need to give him and Purify the opportunity to produce and I have faith that they both will.

Defense is a whole other animal. I really don't know what we can do other than TACKLE. We have missed so many tackles this year that I gave up counting. The pressure against Texas early was excellent. I think if we can somehow manage pressure like that on Freeman, he will make some mistakes. He showed that last year in Manhattan when he had 2 INTS, he bows under pressure, we just need to figure out how to produce some. I'd really like to see more corner/safety blitzes with Thenarse or Grixby. They both have the ability to finish plays in space and that can be the spark the Huskers need. The linebackers are hurting but that still hasn't stopped Octavian from having a great year. We need to figure out a way to get him more involved. He's big enough and fast enough to bring pressure from the outside, so I see I don't know why we aren't seeing that more often. Hopefully, we can sew up some holes in the interior and force them to run sideways. Any team running sideways isn't picking up yards and that's what we need. Three and outs are a must, this defense has run themselves ragged all year and it has to end. Let's just hope we have enough gas to produce some pressure, force some turnovers, and finish the Wildcats off.

Overall, we need to create pressure on defense and rely on Ganz's mobility to open up the pass and the run on offense. If we can do these, along with playing with some intensity we should fair well. Prince will have his purple pansies fired up to play in Memorial, let's just hope Callahan can do the same. It is senior day, so hopefully that will light a spark also. Here's to Sat. GBR!!!!

NU 35

KSU 21

Offense - Misdirection and traps. KSU is fast and overcommits. The rollout screen to the opposite side ate them up last week. The middle of their D-line is gone now so pounding the ball up the middle should also be effective. Hitch and go routes to the outside receivers in the passing game. KSU corners bite on the hitch every time and can get beat deep. I wouldn't even mess with the quick hitters in the passing game...the linebackers cover pretty well. Go deep with it. Sweeps, pitches and anything outside tends to not work. KSU is fast enough to spread that out for little or no gain though an ocassional play-action bootleg seems to catch them off guard.

Defense - Set up a backer as a spy on Nelson. Freeman doesn't yet seem to have the ability to look over more than one or two passing options, especially if there is some pressure on him and usually targets Nelson from the beginning. Occasionally he will check back to Gonzolas but he's not really a game breaker so no big threat. Use four down linemen for pressure with a minimum of blitzing, some stunts with the d-line might be effective. The running game looks to be average. If you can control the interior line you should be able to shut that down easily enough. The big thing is pressure and containment on Freeman from the start. He'll wilt if he's hit enough times

Special Teams - KSU has a reputation this year for taking it to the house. If the special teams falter and they rip off some good returns, it's going to be a long day. These guys need to go down field and hit people...hard!

Offense - Misdirection and traps. KSU is fast and overcommits. The rollout screen to the opposite side ate them up last week.

Well that pretty much seals the deal for us. Cally refuses to run misdirection and traps. I have been calling for him to mix in some misdirection all year. Cally will just go with the SOP and will try to get lucky to the outside on sweeps which will get shut down immediatly and then he will try to run it agian. Its like Cally has this enormous playbook but he only knows about 4 of the plays himself.