What is acceptable as HC at Nebraska

This is an excellent question, since it brings about one of the most important factors in any job - accountability. Which obviously Callahan doesn't think he has. Anyway, I'm going to give this from the perspective of hiring a new coach, because that's the situation we're looking at.

1. The first two years are going to be rebuilding years, getting your own players, teaching them your system, etc.... So I'll understand if it's rough but should win at *least* 6 games in each of those 2 seasons. Not only that, recruiting needs to be extremely important to say the least. Need to recruit top ranked players for skill positions. Need to bring back the walk-on program to it's former strength.

2. Need to have an intense strength and conditioning program. We need to get back to playing very physically dominating football.

3. By the coaches third season, the coach will need to have notched 9 wins under his belt, go to the big 12 title game and make a decent, strong showing, not like last year. It's ok to lose as long as the team looks like it actually came out of the locker room for the second half.

4. By their fourth year they should be in contention for a BCS bowl game, if not the national championship.

5. Moving forward, they need to hold up to the same standards we were used to when T.O. was coaching. NO LESS THAN 9 wins per season, period. If they fall below that mark appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination. Past performance will be evaluated when deciding what the aforementioned punitive action will be. It needs to be understood that 9 wins per season is the MINIMUM EXPECTATION.

6. When talking to the press, it's that the player(s) played hard and did an excellent job. Be humble and quick to give the credit to all of your supporting staff and players. I don't want to hear any more of this "product of the system" crap. Admit when you make mistakes and own up to them, including ANY AND ALL LOSSES.

7. If during first half play: A. the offense scores on every possession, AND B. Every time the defense walks on the field the opposing offense is 3 and out - if those conditions are met then you don't need to make halftime adjustments, otherwise you do regardless of what is on the scoreboard.

Everything else should fall into place after that, provided the coach achieves all these objectives and continues to put out a consistent body of quality work.

THESE EXPECTATIONS NEED TO BE WRITTEN INTO THEIR CONTRACT. It's there in black and white, very measurable, and you signed your name agreeing to meeting these expectations. Did you or did you not do these things? If you can't do it, we'll get someone else.

I don't think any coach would sign a contract that put a stipulation on number of wins by when.

Agreed there is no way a coach would go for this, and the way he has it if you win 5 in your first year you out also. you would have to pay millions a year to even try this, and we would be the worst team in the nation with this....

Then look at my suggestion as something that changes and modifications can be made to. Since you seem to know so much about what coaches would and would not agree to, let's hear your 2 cents. I'm a firm believer that somewhere expectations need to be written down and have a coach held accountable to them.

Would you agree to a job contract that put a finite amount on a job you have to do that may be above what you deemed successful or else you are fired with no questions asked? What if they have a down year from graduating a lot of seniors or his best players leave to the NFL? Then they have a rebuilding year and DO NOT make the stipulations, then they are fired. And you can't just "modify" the contract when it is convenient to keep a coach around because you like the direction the program is going even though they didn't win your stipulated amount of games, because then you have to "modify" it back when you aren't happy with the results. Nobody is going to agree to a contract that states in stone the win/loss record that must be achieved or you are fired because a lot of coaches (and fans) think there is more to success than win/loss. Nebraska would be a laughing stock if they stipulated that in a contract and would have a hard time finding anyone to take them seriously. The evaluation period has to be taken in context on a year in/year out basis by a board within the athletic department that gauges success on many different fronts and takes into account what is going on in the program at that time. You get yourself into trouble when you put such a black and white ultimatum on expectations.

so in the hypothetical scenario, our coach at year one and 2-10 and second year at 6-7 is ok.

year three at 4-7 he'd be out having not reached the 9 win threshold.

Everyone I've asked has said year three, he's gone.

No, I mean 1st season coach wins at least 6 games, 6-6, or 6-7. Second year the same, need to win at least 6 games. 3rd year, need to win 9 games, or he's out.

Ok, so in the first season at 2-10 you'd fire him. I would have fired him at year three.

That win loss record--

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

belongs to Mangino, who, in his sixth year is currently 10-0. A coach that takes six years to reach 10-0 would not last more than three years (using his win/loss record) at NU.

BEAT CU!!

This is an excellent question, since it brings about one of the most important factors in any job - accountability. Which obviously Callahan doesn't think he has. Anyway, I'm going to give this from the perspective of hiring a new coach, because that's the situation we're looking at.

1. The first two years are going to be rebuilding years, getting your own players, teaching them your system, etc.... So I'll understand if it's rough but should win at *least* 6 games in each of those 2 seasons. Not only that, recruiting needs to be extremely important to say the least. Need to recruit top ranked players for skill positions. Need to bring back the walk-on program to it's former strength.

2. Need to have an intense strength and conditioning program. We need to get back to playing very physically dominating football.

3. By the coaches third season, the coach will need to have notched 9 wins under his belt, go to the big 12 title game and make a decent, strong showing, not like last year. It's ok to lose as long as the team looks like it actually came out of the locker room for the second half.

4. By their fourth year they should be in contention for a BCS bowl game, if not the national championship.

5. Moving forward, they need to hold up to the same standards we were used to when T.O. was coaching. NO LESS THAN 9 wins per season, period. If they fall below that mark appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination. Past performance will be evaluated when deciding what the aforementioned punitive action will be. It needs to be understood that 9 wins per season is the MINIMUM EXPECTATION.

6. When talking to the press, it's that the player(s) played hard and did an excellent job. Be humble and quick to give the credit to all of your supporting staff and players. I don't want to hear any more of this "product of the system" crap. Admit when you make mistakes and own up to them, including ANY AND ALL LOSSES.

7. If during first half play: A. the offense scores on every possession, AND B. Every time the defense walks on the field the opposing offense is 3 and out - if those conditions are met then you don't need to make halftime adjustments, otherwise you do regardless of what is on the scoreboard.

Everything else should fall into place after that, provided the coach achieves all these objectives and continues to put out a consistent body of quality work.

THESE EXPECTATIONS NEED TO BE WRITTEN INTO THEIR CONTRACT. It's there in black and white, very measurable, and you signed your name agreeing to meeting these expectations. Did you or did you not do these things? If you can't do it, we'll get someone else.

I don't think any coach would sign a contract that put a stipulation on number of wins by when.

Agreed there is no way a coach would go for this, and the way he has it if you win 5 in your first year you out also. you would have to pay millions a year to even try this, and we would be the worst team in the nation with this....

Then look at my suggestion as something that changes and modifications can be made to. Since you seem to know so much about what coaches would and would not agree to, let's hear your 2 cents. I'm a firm believer that somewhere expectations need to be written down and have a coach held accountable to them.

Would you agree to a job contract that put a finite amount on a job you have to do that may be above what you deemed successful or else you are fired with no questions asked? What if they have a down year from graduating a lot of seniors or his best players leave to the NFL? Then they have a rebuilding year and DO NOT make the stipulations, then they are fired. And you can't just "modify" the contract when it is convenient to keep a coach around because you like the direction the program is going even though they didn't win your stipulated amount of games, because then you have to "modify" it back when you aren't happy with the results. Nobody is going to agree to a contract that states in stone the win/loss record that must be achieved or you are fired because a lot of coaches (and fans) think there is more to success than win/loss. Nebraska would be a laughing stock if they stipulated that in a contract and would have a hard time finding anyone to take them seriously. The evaluation period has to be taken in context on a year in/year out basis by a board within the athletic department that gauges success on many different fronts and takes into account what is going on in the program at that time. You get yourself into trouble when you put such a black and white ultimatum on expectations.

I would agree to such a contract if I thought I could do the job. Never once did I suggest that the contract be "modified" after it was signed. I'm throwing an example out there of how a coach should be held accountable for his actions and that certain milestones should be put into place to ensure a winning program. I'm not an expert on contract law, nor am I an attorney. If you don't think this is possible or even plausible, then tell us how an agreement between coach and university should work. What kind of performance metrics do you think that OU uses to evaluate Bob Stoops? How about Urban Meyer? Jim Tressel?

I would agree to such a contract if I thought I could do the job. Never once did I suggest that the contract be "modified" after it was signed. I'm throwing an example out there of how a coach should be held accountable for his actions and that certain milestones should be put into place to ensure a winning program. I'm not an expert on contract law, nor am I an attorney. If you don't think this is possible or even plausible, then tell us how an agreement between coach and university should work. What kind of performance metrics do you think that OU uses to evaluate Bob Stoops? How about Urban Meyer? Jim Tressel?

I already said,"The evaluation period has to be taken in context on a year in/year out basis by a board within the athletic department and the AD that gauges success on many different fronts and takes into account what is going on in the program at that time." I can almost guarantee that in none of their contracts have a stipulation that they make a BCS bowl by the fourth year but I can not prove it. If it did though, that would be news and have been reported.

And when you say:

Then look at my suggestion as something that changes and modifications can be made to.

when do you suggest modifying a contract if it's not after it's signed. That's the definition of modification, from the original. A contract that is changed before it is signed is not modified because it is still the original. You only modify original, HENCE modify after it's signed.

Also, what if the coaches star QB gets hurt in the third year and he can not win 9 games? You fire him according to you. Or any other myriad of injuries that could happen or players be suspended because of grades. The best way is to have people close to the situation evaluate, which is the way I understand any program does it.

so in the hypothetical scenario, our coach at year one and 2-10 and second year at 6-7 is ok.

No, I mean 1st season coach wins at least 6 games, 6-6, or 6-7. Second year the same, need to win at least 6 games. 3rd year, need to win 9 games, or he's out.

Ok, so in the first season at 2-10 you'd fire him. I would have fired him at year three.

That win loss record--

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

belongs to Mangino, who, in his sixth year is currently 10-0. A coach that takes six years to reach 10-0 would not last more than three years (using his win/loss record) at NU.

BEAT CU!!

And if NU gets its act together and Oklahoma and Texas wind up on the sched, is he a 10-0 coach? Dont forget that Glen Mason got KU to the top10 a couple of times and look what he's done over the course of his career <_< . I like Mangino's team, but I think you're reaching on trying to compare Mangino's year against its current sched to a school of NU's tradition and expectations. You're right, he probably wouldnt last at NU, based on his previous records, and most NU fans would probably be OK with that. Now if Mangino rolls off 5 straight 10 wins seasons or something fairly comparable, then I'd be willing to buy the point youre trying to sell.

That win loss record--

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

BEAT CU!!

Man good thing in my infinite wisdom I said the next year after the 6-6 season. My reasoning here since you so eloquently proved me as a genious. Obviously 2-10 he didn't have a good team to start. 6-7 is a big turnaround for me from 2-10. 4-7 a minor set back but I DO NOT believe in firing a coach after 3 years, unlike Dingo who would have fired the coach if he didn't win 9 games that year. 7-5 is again and improvement from 4-7 so I'm confident again that the coach can build. 6-6 is a SMALL setback, probably made a bowl and with where the program was when he came in (2-10 first year) 6-6 is a great improvement but the NEXT year is the telling year. The year that will say if this coach is capable of improving and taking this team to the next level or if he's going to keep turning out these teams that hover around .500. Hence I said the year after the 6-6 season.

I already said,"The evaluation period has to be taken in context on a year in/year out basis by a board within the athletic department and the AD that gauges success on many different fronts and takes into account what is going on in the program at that time." I can almost guarantee that in none of their contracts have a stipulation that they make a BCS bowl by the fourth year but I can not prove it. If it did though, that would be news and have been reported.

And when you say:

Then look at my suggestion as something that changes and modifications can be made to.

when do you suggest modifying a contract if it's not after it's signed. That's the definition of modification, from the original. A contract that is changed before it is signed is not modified because it is still the original. You only modify original, HENCE modify after it's signed.

Also, what if the coaches star QB gets hurt in the third year and he can not win 9 games? You fire him according to you. Or any other myriad of injuries that could happen or players be suspended because of grades. The best way is to have people close to the situation evaluate, which is the way I understand any program does it.

I am saying that my original suggestion can be changed, modified, morphed, or whatever BEFORE it becomes a contract. I'm just throwing something out there to work on as a base. Second of all, you missed the part I wrote about

appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination
This indicates that said coach does not have to be fired but will be disciplined. You asked me what I wanted to see as a fan, and this is it bubba. I want to see milestones, achievable goals, and agreed upon expectations. For the 25 years Osborne was coach he always won at least 9 games and we always went to a bowl game. If you don't think we can get anyone who can agree to at least matching what TO did, then let's just keep Callahan around a while longer. If they don't win 9 games they don't have to be fired, but punished. Tie it to money if you have to. But don't take a look at what I wrote and think it's all hard and fast. There are mitigating circumstances simetimes and that should be taken into consideration.

TO went 8 wins in a season a couple times with the 9th coming in the bowl. So you are saying you expect the new coach perform at the SAME level or BETTER than one of the best IF NOT THE BEST coach in college football history or else he's fired. That's a pretty tall task to be demanding before a coach even signs a contract. THIS IS WHY NO ONE WOULD SIGN THIS CONTRACT!

And when you say:

I am saying that my original suggestion can be changed, modified, morphed, or whatever BEFORE it becomes a contract. I'm just throwing something out there to work on as a base. Second of all, you missed the part I wrote about

appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination
This indicates that said coach does not have to be fired but will be disciplined. You asked me what I wanted to see as a fan, and this is it bubba. I want to see milestones, achievable goals, and agreed upon expectations. For the 25 years Osborne was coach he always won at least 9 games and we always went to a bowl game. If you don't think we can get anyone who can agree to at least matching what TO did, then let's just keep Callahan around a while longer. If they don't win 9 games they don't have to be fired, but punished. Tie it to money if you have to. But don't take a look at what I wrote and think it's all hard and fast. There are mitigating circumstances simetimes and that should be taken into consideration.

Is this kindergarten? What are they going to do, make the coach sit in the corner to reprimand him? Suspend him? That'll do a lot of good. Adding the reprimandation clause is going to make it even more laughable. What coach would come into a situation where he could possibly be punished for not having a 9 win season! He could stay where he's at and take the next job where the school won't take away his lunch money because he didn't win 9 games and only won 8. You have to attract a coach and no one is going to want to be put in that situation when NO OTHER university in the nation would put those stipulations on them. Why deal with it when you can get the same money somewhere else and not have these cut and dry requirements?

And we still have the problem of if injuries, suspensions, grade suspensions occur and some key players are out that effects his record and gets him reprimanded!

You asked me what I wanted to see as a fan, and this is it bubba.

How'd you know my name was Bubba?

I uh, didn't know your name was bubba. I just like that name, that's all. :)

OK Man, this is a negotiation and I'm willing to give on certian things. Maybe we should re-structure this agreement to read more like:

Base Salary is $x.

If you win 6 - 8 games in regular season play, you get paid $x much.

If you win 9+ games in regular season you get an additional $x.

If you win big 12 title game $x bonus.

Bowl game bonus if not result of big 12 title game $x

National Championship bonus $x.

The conversations ensuing prior to any offer made, the candidate should be made very aware that the expectations of the Athletic Department, University, Student Athletes, Alumni, Boosters and the fans in general that worst case scenerio we go 9 - 3 and go to a bowl game. Best case we win the national championship. Anywhere in between you're doing OK. Anything less than that and investigations and inquires are going to be made as well as a thourough performance evaluation, hint hint. (I'm not saying wack him right away, but work is going to be awfully uncomfortable unitl he rights the ship).

I assume that we agree on principle about rebuilding of walk-on program, recruiting on skill positions, behaviour during press interviews and strength and conditioning programs??

Also, I have to point out that in the business world, pay and tenure of job are very often tied to performance objectives. I'm in sales, and if I don't hit my number I don't keep my job. CEO's contracts are very often tied to things like stock price, Price/Earnings ratio, EBITDA, etc... etc... We do it in big business where CEO's get paid millions of dollars a year, I don't see why it can't be applied to sports coaching jobs where they get paid millions of dollars a year. Do you think it's easier for a CEO to control stock price in a bad year than it is for a coach to control egress of players to NFL, injuries, loss of coaching staff, etc...?

No coach is ever going to be perfect, but there needs to be some teeth in the contract where we can protect ourselves and have an out if we need it. I'd like to have a coach who has got the guts to agree to something difficult and exceed expectations. I want a tiger who is all full of piss and vinegar, who'll motivate the players and be a good ambassador for the university.

That win loss record--

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

BEAT CU!!

No way can you compare what is tolerable at KU football to what is tolerable in Lincoln. 2-10 with this programs allure and draw should never ever happen.

You asked me what I wanted to see as a fan, and this is it bubba.

How'd you know my name was Bubba?

I uh, didn't know your name was bubba. I just like that name, that's all. :)

OK Man, this is a negotiation and I'm willing to give on certian things. Maybe we should re-structure this agreement to read more like:

Base Salary is $x.

If you win 6 - 8 games in regular season play, you get paid $x much.

If you win 9+ games in regular season you get an additional $x.

If you win big 12 title game $x bonus.

Bowl game bonus if not result of big 12 title game $x

National Championship bonus $x.

The conversations ensuing prior to any offer made, the candidate should be made very aware that the expectations of the Athletic Department, University, Student Athletes, Alumni, Boosters and the fans in general that worst case scenerio we go 9 - 3 and go to a bowl game. Best case we win the national championship. Anywhere in between you're doing OK. Anything less than that and investigations and inquires are going to be made as well as a thourough performance evaluation, hint hint. (I'm not saying wack him right away, but work is going to be awfully uncomfortable unitl he rights the ship).

I assume that we agree on principle about rebuilding of walk-on program, recruiting on skill positions, behaviour during press interviews and strength and conditioning programs??

Also, I have to point out that in the business world, pay and tenure of job are very often tied to performance objectives. I'm in sales, and if I don't hit my number I don't keep my job. CEO's contracts are very often tied to things like stock price, Price/Earnings ratio, EBITDA, etc... etc... We do it in big business where CEO's get paid millions of dollars a year, I don't see why it can't be applied to sports coaching jobs where they get paid millions of dollars a year. Do you think it's easier for a CEO to control stock price in a bad year than it is for a coach to control egress of players to NFL, injuries, loss of coaching staff, etc...?

No coach is ever going to be perfect, but there needs to be some teeth in the contract where we can protect ourselves and have an out if we need it. I'd like to have a coach who has got the guts to agree to something difficult and exceed expectations. I want a tiger who is all full of piss and vinegar, who'll motivate the players and be a good ambassador for the university.

Imagine all the restructuring if the "Playoff Nazis" have their way and the Regular season, conf.championship games and Bowls are sacrificed.