What is acceptable as HC at Nebraska

how about this coach...

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

Is that good enough?? At what point would you fire this coach??

After the next year if there isn't improvement IMO. Say thanks, you took out of the bottom of the conference but now we need someone that can take us to the next level.

how about this coach...

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

After the next year if there isn't improvement IMO. Say thanks, you took out of the bottom of the conference but now we need someone that can take us to the next level.

so you'd fire him in year six, if there is no improvement. What if this was his record at NU? still the same slack allowed?

how about this coach...

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

so you'd fire him in year six, if there is no improvement. What if this was his record at NU? still the same slack allowed?

Personally, if he could get improvement by year three he should have been gone. Unfortunately, the AD at that time belived the bs this HC was putting out.

dedhoarse

This is an excellent question, since it brings about one of the most important factors in any job - accountability. Which obviously Callahan doesn't think he has. Anyway, I'm going to give this from the perspective of hiring a new coach, because that's the situation we're looking at.

1. The first two years are going to be rebuilding years, getting your own players, teaching them your system, etc.... So I'll understand if it's rough but should win at *least* 6 games in each of those 2 seasons. Not only that, recruiting needs to be extremely important to say the least. Need to recruit top ranked players for skill positions. Need to bring back the walk-on program to it's former strength.

2. Need to have an intense strength and conditioning program. We need to get back to playing very physically dominating football.

3. By the coaches third season, the coach will need to have notched 9 wins under his belt, go to the big 12 title game and make a decent, strong showing, not like last year. It's ok to lose as long as the team looks like it actually came out of the locker room for the second half.

4. By their fourth year they should be in contention for a BCS bowl game, if not the national championship.

5. Moving forward, they need to hold up to the same standards we were used to when T.O. was coaching. NO LESS THAN 9 wins per season, period. If they fall below that mark appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination. Past performance will be evaluated when deciding what the aforementioned punitive action will be. It needs to be understood that 9 wins per season is the MINIMUM EXPECTATION.

6. When talking to the press, it's that the player(s) played hard and did an excellent job. Be humble and quick to give the credit to all of your supporting staff and players. I don't want to hear any more of this "product of the system" crap. Admit when you make mistakes and own up to them, including ANY AND ALL LOSSES.

7. If during first half play: A. the offense scores on every possession, AND B. Every time the defense walks on the field the opposing offense is 3 and out - if those conditions are met then you don't need to make halftime adjustments, otherwise you do regardless of what is on the scoreboard.

Everything else should fall into place after that, provided the coach achieves all these objectives and continues to put out a consistent body of quality work.

THESE EXPECTATIONS NEED TO BE WRITTEN INTO THEIR CONTRACT. It's there in black and white, very measurable, and you signed your name agreeing to meeting these expectations. Did you or did you not do these things? If you can't do it, we'll get someone else.

I think one thing that we really need to find is a coach that wants to stay. I havent heard anyone say this but not all coachs are going to be like TO. I think if Bo comes here and turns us around he will go to the NFL ASAP. I might be wrong but we need someone who will stay for decades not just years. If you look back all of the power houses had long term coaches, and that holds true today, for the most part.

Why do you think Pelini would jet for the NFL? I've heard this before, and I'm just curious what about him makes you think he'd jet for the NFL. I've heard the same thing about Meyers. I have no idea what Meyers will eventually do, but I can't think many/any NFL owners are salivating at the thought of a spread option in the NFL.

After looking at some of the most recent busts from the NFL, I would assume most in the college game would prefer to stay in the college game. With Spurrier, Saban, maybe Petrino, etc. all flopping; I would find it interesting that many/any college coaches would want to jump into that fire.

I figured with all this head coaching talk, it would be a good discussion of what YOU THE FAN would accept for a coach at Nebraska?

I'll stop you right there. This is my answer:

Leader.

Courage.

Winning Attitude.

Patience.

Teaching ability.

Listening & caring.

Managing skills.

Open Door (for players, coaches, AD, coworkers, former players.)

Honesty & integrity.

Focused & driven.

Sportsmanship.

Humility.

Embrace Husker Tradition.

Some previous experience as a college football head coach.

Highly recommended by people who previously worked with him.

No history of shady behaviour.

Puts players and coaches in positions to succeed at football & life.

Has experienced winning as a player and coach.

Is a classy individual to the media, the fans, and to the opponents.

Can take a loss after a game with praise to the other team, and a "we'll get 'em next time" attitude.

I figured with all this head coaching talk, it would be a good discussion of what YOU THE FAN would accept for a coach at Nebraska? Here's my list of what I would expect a coach to do here to keep the fans patient and consider him successful...

1. competes in ALMOST every game. (May have a blowout everyonce in a while, it happens!)

2. Wins at least 8-9 games a year, 7 or 6 wins can happen but not 3 - 4 years in a row. (Consistency is the key, as it was with TO)

3. Compete for Big 12 north every year. Not necessarily win but be in the conversation at least, or make a shake up by a big win.

4. If having a down year, compete in most the games. It could be because of mediocre players and talent but that's when coaching ability shines and give the players a chance to compete and win when they aren't expected to.

5. Never have players act like they don't care. Demand the best effort of all players at all times and preach that emotion and passion is key to this game (Which it is).

Those are my thoughts, I'd like to here any other stipulations for what you think makes a coach successful.

I think the most important word in here is 'compete'. I don't care whether the new HC has prior experience or not. As long as we are always competing and consistently in or around the Top 10 team's in the country. Also needs to take responsibility for any issues that arise. Don't throw your players or other coaches under the bus. :)

This is an excellent question, since it brings about one of the most important factors in any job - accountability. Which obviously Callahan doesn't think he has. Anyway, I'm going to give this from the perspective of hiring a new coach, because that's the situation we're looking at.

1. The first two years are going to be rebuilding years, getting your own players, teaching them your system, etc.... So I'll understand if it's rough but should win at *least* 6 games in each of those 2 seasons. Not only that, recruiting needs to be extremely important to say the least. Need to recruit top ranked players for skill positions. Need to bring back the walk-on program to it's former strength.

2. Need to have an intense strength and conditioning program. We need to get back to playing very physically dominating football.

3. By the coaches third season, the coach will need to have notched 9 wins under his belt, go to the big 12 title game and make a decent, strong showing, not like last year. It's ok to lose as long as the team looks like it actually came out of the locker room for the second half.

4. By their fourth year they should be in contention for a BCS bowl game, if not the national championship.

5. Moving forward, they need to hold up to the same standards we were used to when T.O. was coaching. NO LESS THAN 9 wins per season, period. If they fall below that mark appropriate disciplinary action will be taken, up to and including termination. Past performance will be evaluated when deciding what the aforementioned punitive action will be. It needs to be understood that 9 wins per season is the MINIMUM EXPECTATION.

6. When talking to the press, it's that the player(s) played hard and did an excellent job. Be humble and quick to give the credit to all of your supporting staff and players. I don't want to hear any more of this "product of the system" crap. Admit when you make mistakes and own up to them, including ANY AND ALL LOSSES.

7. If during first half play: A. the offense scores on every possession, AND B. Every time the defense walks on the field the opposing offense is 3 and out - if those conditions are met then you don't need to make halftime adjustments, otherwise you do regardless of what is on the scoreboard.

Everything else should fall into place after that, provided the coach achieves all these objectives and continues to put out a consistent body of quality work.

THESE EXPECTATIONS NEED TO BE WRITTEN INTO THEIR CONTRACT. It's there in black and white, very measurable, and you signed your name agreeing to meeting these expectations. Did you or did you not do these things? If you can't do it, we'll get someone else.

so in the hypothetical scenario, our coach at year one and 2-10 and second year at 6-7 is ok.

year three at 4-7 he'd be out having not reached the 9 win threshold.

Everyone I've asked has said year three, he's gone.

I think one thing that we really need to find is a coach that wants to stay. I havent heard anyone say this but not all coachs are going to be like TO. I think if Bo comes here and turns us around he will go to the NFL ASAP. I might be wrong but we need someone who will stay for decades not just years. If you look back all of the power houses had long term coaches, and that holds true today, for the most part.

Why do you think Pelini would jet for the NFL? I've heard this before, and I'm just curious what about him makes you think he'd jet for the NFL. I've heard the same thing about Meyers. I have no idea what Meyers will eventually do, but I can't think many/any NFL owners are salivating at the thought of a spread option in the NFL.

After looking at some of the most recent busts from the NFL, I would assume most in the college game would prefer to stay in the college game. With Spurrier, Saban, maybe Petrino, etc. all flopping; I would find it interesting that many/any college coaches would want to jump into that fire.

I agree, most of the guys that go don't do to well. Here is my thought process, Bo came from Greenbay to be a DC (promotion) got shafted by Pud, and moved to LSU (With OU stop over). Now there is a very big chance he will be a HC in the next year or two (promotion). Will he excel as a HC? Only time will tell, but this guy is young and driven. The new breed of coach wnats to be at the top and that is the NFL. It might take 10 years for him to get there but I just think he will go if given the chance. Also I know I should'nt say anyhting but Bo didnt fly into Lincoln (that was a cover) I went down and drove him here and back, even though I have no ties with the program, TO picked me, and Bo told me he want s to coach pro :) .

In the end I guess I have seen him jump ship (forced in our case) and just wonder what his intenions are, but I guess this is how it works when you dont have a system like we had for so many years.

so in the hypothetical scenario, our coach at year one and 2-10 and second year at 6-7 is ok.

year three at 4-7 he'd be out having not reached the 9 win threshold.

Everyone I've asked has said year three, he's gone.

No, I mean 1st season coach wins at least 6 games, 6-6, or 6-7. Second year the same, need to win at least 6 games. 3rd year, need to win 9 games, or he's out.

I don't think any coach would sign a contract that put a stipulation on number of wins by when.

I don't think any coach would sign a contract that put a stipulation on number of wins by when.

Agreed there is no way a coach would go for this, and the way he has it if you win 5 in your first year you out also. you would have to pay millions a year to even try this, and we would be the worst team in the nation with this....

Agreed there is no way a coach would go for this, and the way he has it if you win 5 in your first year you out also. you would have to pay millions a year to even try this, and we would be the worst team in the nation with this....

Then look at my suggestion as something that changes and modifications can be made to. Since you seem to know so much about what coaches would and would not agree to, let's hear your 2 cents. I'm a firm believer that somewhere expectations need to be written down and have a coach held accountable to them.