Keller's comments on Ganz

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but here are Keller's comments on Ganz

JournalStar Blog

We hear from Sam again

Husker Sam Keller was the guest on NET's "Big Red Wrap-Up" on Tuesday.

Still the chatterbox, still the popular guy in the room, Keller said the pain from his collarbone injury suffered against Texas is now gone.

He hopes to be able to throw a football in 5 1/2 weeks, and has a goal of playing in the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 19.

“I think over the years, I’ve developed thick skin. I’m not a stranger to adversity. There’s just a way you have to handle it,” Keller said on the show. “Sometimes, things are out of your control and you just have to keep grinding.”

He said he has no regrets about coming to Nebraska and spoke about exactly how close the race was in fall camp between him and Joe Ganz.

“I came here and I do things good, but I had to learn that system. Joey is a master at that system, a complete master,” Keller said. “He showed you what this offense is capable of. He shows you how good of a coach (Bill) Callahan is and how hard him and (offensive coordinator Shawn) Watson work to put together these game plans.

“That’s why I came here, was to play for this system. I battled hard and won it. It was an honor. And I played hard and tried to do the best I could, but the race really was that close, because Joey is a fantastic quarterback.”

The quarterback was also complimentary of Callahan.

“He cares so much,” Keller said. “The way I see Coach Callahan, I have so much respect for him, and what he does and how hard he works, and the opportunity that he extended to me to come play for him.

“He’s made me a better quarterback, and I think for that matter, a better person. Because I think sometimes they go hand-in-hand, honest to God.”

I believe what the Quarterbacks are saying about Callahan. They are the ones that Callahan actually interacts with during a game. I seriously don't know of or don't remember seeing Callahan talk to a defensive player during a game. He is too busy getting ready for the next offensive series.

I haven't been to a Callahan coached game, as I moved to Alabama shortly before he was announced as coach, so maybe its different that what you see on TV, as far as his interaction with all the players?

I really believe Callahan could run an offense in the NFL. And, be very successful. I just don't think he can run an entire team of program at the college or NFL level. I wonder what fond memories or personal interaction Bo Ruud can recall. Or Zac Bowman?

I wish this entire staff luck as they move on, but make no mistake, they need to move on. I can't wait for TO to announce the next head coach at the University of Nebraska!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!

I think that was a great article from the LJS. You can't make any mistake that Callahan has the respect of players and that he is a hard worker. I think you would have to be stupid to say these are all lies from the players and such. Callahan is a very smart, well thought out individual who is intelligent about the game and puts a lot of time and thought into what he does. I do agree that managing the entire scope just might not be his thing. Looking at his tenure here and at Oakland it seems he has just not had the success managing the whole operation. Hopefully he will be able to find a great fit after Nebraska.

I believe what the Quarterbacks are saying about Callahan. They are the ones that Callahan actually interacts with during a game. I seriously don't know of or don't remember seeing Callahan talk to a defensive player during a game. He is too busy getting ready for the next offensive series.

I haven't been to a Callahan coached game, as I moved to Alabama shortly before he was announced as coach, so maybe its different that what you see on TV, as far as his interaction with all the players?

I really believe Callahan could run an offense in the NFL. And, be very successful. I just don't think he can run an entire team of program at the college or NFL level. I wonder what fond memories or personal interaction Bo Ruud can recall. Or Zac Bowman?

I wish this entire staff luck as they move on, but make no mistake, they need to move on. I can't wait for TO to announce the next head coach at the University of Nebraska!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!

:yeah

Great points. From what I've seen (and I don't focus on the sidelines at the game, so take this for what it's worth) Callahan seems to largely interact with the other coaches and the QBs, with a smattering of other players mixed in. I don't think that's very different than many other coaches, though. I think that's pretty normal, at least from what I recall.

I think that was a great article from the LJS. You can't make any mistake that Callahan has the respect of players and that he is a hard worker. I think you would have to be stupid to say these are all lies from the players and such. Callahan is a very smart, well thought out individual who is intelligent about the game and puts a lot of time and thought into what he does. I do agree that managing the entire scope just might not be his thing. Looking at his tenure here and at Oakland it seems he has just not had the success managing the whole operation. Hopefully he will be able to find a great fit after Nebraska.

I would agree, Callahan, is probably a far better position coach than a Head Coach. As a head coach, you need to be able to handle the whole show, then if you try to do the OC or DC duties as well, it makes it even harder. Most assistants that become HC can't give up their position duties and it leads them to failure. Callahan is a salesman, it's helped in recruiting and obviously it's helped develop relationship with some of the players. I just have a hard time telling where his sales BS ends and his sincerity begins half the time. I say keep demote him to QB coach and recruiting coordinator!

I was listening to some sports radio on the drive back from lunch today, and they were talking about the Kansas City Chiefs' problems on offense. The radio guys mentioned that a lot of the offensive skill players they have been drafting are more suited for a WCO system, and felt that KC might be well served to hire a new OC that runs that type of offense. I thought about it for a bit, and while they didn't bring up any names, I wondered to myself if they would consider hiring Callahan after this season. I would actually welcome that, being a Chiefs fan.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the problems with this team really do stem from Callahan's offensive system. Not necessarily the way that he coaches it or understands it, but rather in the way that it fails to gel with the college game. Like Michael Osborne said, it tends to make your defense soft when that is all they practice against. College defensive players don't yet have all of the fundamentals drilled into them, so it has got to be a challenge to get a defense like Nebraska's, full of young players who see the WCO every day in practice, to respond to an offense like A&M's, or even Missouri, who tries to use the athleticism of their players to basically just win man-to-man match-ups instead of playing a "cerebral, finesse" game. In the NFL, however, where there is more experience, more consistency in performance, and more professionalism in general, this system has been proven to win championships when paired with an effective defense that isn't constantly derailing the offensive game plan by falling way behind in the game.

In college, who really runs the WCO consistently well? I think you could argue that USC's recent championship teams are probably the only examples, but they still had off games where they basically had to let Reggie Bush bail them out. NU hasn't had that type of athlete, nor has Callahan had the type of talent at quarterback that Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart brought to the table. Still, though, look at what Zac Taylor accomplished. Look at what Joe Ganz has accomplished through roughly 9 quarters of football. When the offense works, it really works.

So, yes, I agree with the people that have said/are going to say that Callahan would be a much better coordinator or position coach. He knows his system, and he is going to be a valuable asset to somebody in the near future, be it Nebraska by some fluke occurrence or some NFL franchise.

I was listening to some sports radio on the drive back from lunch today, and they were talking about the Kansas City Chiefs' problems on offense. The radio guys mentioned that a lot of the offensive skill players they have been drafting are more suited for a WCO system, and felt that KC might be well served to hire a new OC that runs that type of offense. I thought about it for a bit, and while they didn't bring up any names, I wondered to myself if they would consider hiring Callahan after this season. I would actually welcome that, being a Chiefs fan.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the problems with this team really do stem from Callahan's offensive system. Not necessarily the way that he coaches it or understands it, but rather in the way that it fails to gel with the college game. Like Michael Osborne said, it tends to make your defense soft when that is all they practice against. College defensive players don't yet have all of the fundamentals drilled into them, so it has got to be a challenge to get a defense like Nebraska's, full of young players who see the WCO every day in practice, to respond to an offense like A&M's, or even Missouri, who tries to use the athleticism of their players to basically just win man-to-man match-ups instead of playing a "cerebral, finesse" game. In the NFL, however, where there is more experience, more consistency in performance, and more professionalism in general, this system has been proven to win championships when paired with an effective defense that isn't constantly derailing the offensive game plan by falling way behind in the game.

In college, who really runs the WCO consistently well? I think you could argue that USC's recent championship teams are probably the only examples, but they still had off games where they basically had to let Reggie Bush bail them out. NU hasn't had that type of athlete, nor has Callahan had the type of talent at quarterback that Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart brought to the table. Still, though, look at what Zac Taylor accomplished. Look at what Joe Ganz has accomplished through roughly 9 quarters of football. When the offense works, it really works.

So, yes, I agree with the people that have said/are going to say that Callahan would be a much better coordinator or position coach. He knows his system, and he is going to be a valuable asset to somebody in the near future, be it Nebraska by some fluke occurrence or some NFL franchise.

agree, as a chiefs fan as well i would also welcome him to the chiefs. that would give us a good defensive minded coach in herm and a good offensive minded coach for the O in callahan. i think that would be a very good combination considering that the WCO is a ball control offense and that is what Herm likes to run.

agree, as a chiefs fan as well i would also welcome him to the chiefs. that would give us a good defensive minded coach in herm and a good offensive minded coach for the O in callahan. i think that would be a very good combination considering that the WCO is a ball control offense and that is what Herm likes to run.

Three Chiefs fans say "aye" so the motion is carried. Callahan would be welcome in KC as OC if the offer were extended.

Three Chiefs fans say "aye" so the motion is carried. Callahan would be welcome in KC as OC if the offer were extended.

Raider fan here and as a Raider fan, I would hate to see Callahan as your OC. With that being said, I would also hate to see him be a head coach in the Big Twelve Confrence with a team that has a patient fan base. I'm not a big Callahan supporter, remember he sunk both of my favorite footbal programs, but I think if we (Husker fans) would have been patient enough to let him recruit freshman from the begining, we would be looking at an extreemly potent offense today. Instead he had to go the quick fix, juco route, because we want to win now, yesterday, and tomorrow.

Raider fan here and as a Raider fan, I would hate to see Callahan as your OC. With that being said, I would also hate to see him be a head coach in the Big Twelve Confrence with a team that has a patient fan base. I'm not a big Callahan supporter, remember he sunk both of my favorite footbal programs, but I think if we (Husker fans) would have been patient enough to let him recruit freshman from the begining, we would be looking at an extreemly potent offense today. Instead he had to go the quick fix, juco route, because we want to win now, yesterday, and tomorrow.

Before you start cracking jokes about me being a Raider fan, ask me who was the last AFC West team to win a playoff game. :box:LOLtartar