On the OWH website today, in the Q&A with Shatel, a reader brought up Steve Mariucci and Butch Davis as his top choices to replace Cally. I'm not sure about Mariucci, but I think Butch Davis would be awesome! He has a great track record as a college head coach (as far as winning anyway) and his defenses played with serious intensity! Not to mention he is a great recruiter. Personally, my top choices are Davis and Brian Kelly. What do you all think of Butch Davis for Head Football Coach at Nebraska?

i think no, because he has not seemed to have much success as a Head Coach other than at Miami and even then when he had all of the talent in florida to choose from he still had a losing season in 1997. and he has also only had one season with more than 9 wins. just something to think about but i think that would be a horrible choice, based on the fact that he did not do that good in miami and NU is much harder to recruit to. thanks anyway but ill pass.

On the OWH website today, in the Q&A with Shatel, a reader brought up Steve Mariucci and Butch Davis as his top choices to replace Cally. I'm not sure about Mariucci, but I think Butch Davis would be awesome! He has a great track record as a college head coach (as far as winning anyway) and his defenses played with serious intensity! Not to mention he is a great recruiter. Personally, my top choices are Davis and Brian Kelly. What do you all think of Butch Davis for Head Football Coach at Nebraska?

Actually, he was my choice last time. Unfortunately, he wasn't available until the 2005 season. I thought Pud should have given Solich one more year. If he still deemed it necessary to fire Solich, I thought he should have put the "full court" press on Davis.

i think no, because he has not seemed to have much success as a Head Coach other than at Miami and even then when he had all of the talent in florida to choose from he still had a losing season in 1997. and he has also only had one season with more than 9 wins. just something to think about but i think that would be a horrible choice, based on the fact that he did not do that good in miami and NU is much harder to recruit to. thanks anyway but ill pass.

Are you serious? Butch Davis raised Miami Football from the dead that Jimmy and Dennis left behind with NCAA sanctions and probation. He didn't have all the talent in Florida as he had a lot less schollies due to probation and the near death sentence. Also, Florida was getting the best talent in the state when Davis took over. I guess your definition of not doing good and mine are totally different. Miami from all the teams that have been on NCAA probation rose back to the top faster than Alabama, OU, etc. The reason they made it back to the top so fast was because of Butch Davis.

Actually, he was my choice last time. Unfortunately, he wasn't available until the 2005 season. I thought Pud should have given Solich one more year. If he still deemed it necessary to fire Solich, I thought he should have put the "full court" press on Davis.

Are you serious? Butch Davis raised Miami Football from the dead that Jimmy and Dennis left behind with NCAA sanctions and probation. He didn't have all the talent in Florida as he had a lot less schollies due to probation and the near death sentence. Also, Florida was getting the best talent in the state when Davis took over. I guess your definition of not doing good and mine are totally different. Miami from all the teams that have been on NCAA probation rose back to the top faster than Alabama, OU, etc. The reason they made it back to the top so fast was because of Butch Davis.

i disagree, the reason they rose back to the top so fast was because you can recruit florida much better if you are in florida. just because you have less scholarships it does not mean that you do not have as much talent it just means that you have a little less depth. alabama OU etc. did not come back as fast because their talent level was not as high. i will say however that it is obvious that davis is a better HC than some of the guys that those schools had, but he is not a great coach by any means.

i think no, because he has not seemed to have much success as a Head Coach other than at Miami and even then when he had all of the talent in florida to choose from he still had a losing season in 1997. and he was horrible choice, based on the fact that he did not do that good in miami and NU is much harder to recruit to. thanks anyway but ill pass.

i disagree, the reason they rose back to the top so fast was because you can recruit florida much better if you are in florida. just because you have less scholarships it does not mean that you do not have as much talent it just means that you have a little less depth. alabama OU etc. did not come back as fast because their talent level was not as high. i will say however that it is obvious that davis is a better HC than some of the guys that those schools had, but he is not a great coach by any means.

You have got to be kidding me. I guess by your thought process the NC should just automatically go to a Florida school every year? The 2001 NC just happened because Miami belongs in the state of Florida? Miami had one hell of a ride over a 3 year or so period as a direct result of Butch Davis. He rebuilt the Miami dynasty that Jimmy and Dennis burnt down with cheating and violations.

Davis was head coach for six seasons at the University of Miami (1995-2000) and led the Hurricanes to a 51-20 record, three Big East Conference championships and four postseason bowl wins in as many appearances. He took over a Miami program faced with NCAA sanctions that restricted the number of scholarships in his first three seasons. However, his Hurricane teams finished ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 on four occasions, including No. 2 in the nation in 2000 when the Canes went 11-1 and beat Florida, 37-20, in the Sugar Bowl.

Yep, he's a poor coach. He only won roughly 72% of his games down there at Miami even though his first 3 years the school was on probation. In his first year, he led the Hurricanes to a share of the Big East title. They qualified for a BCS bowl game, but they had to decline due to their agreement with the NCAA and the sanctions that were placed upon them before his arrival. In his final year at Miami, they went 11-1 and finished the season ranked #2. I think we all know how they faired in 2001. Again, yep he sure has the markings of "not a great coach by any means"! :sarcasm