Interesting Quote I Just Read.....

Just read the article about the Pope John High School football team winning the class D-1 state title tonight at Memorial Stadium. This was the last quote in the article from their coach P.J. Book

“Defense has been the heart and soul of the Crusaders’ program for 13 years. What wins games is defense and not turning the ball over,” said Book. “They know that and take pride in defense. They knock the heck out of each other in practice all week, so playing in the games is just a continuation of that.”

Seems like this guy and team understands the importance of a good defense :-)

Just read the article about the Pope John High School football team winning the class D-1 state title tonight at Memorial Stadium. This was the last quote in the article from their coach P.J. Book

“Defense has been the heart and soul of the Crusaders’ program for 13 years. What wins games is defense and not turning the ball over,” said Book. “They know that and take pride in defense. They knock the heck out of each other in practice all week, so playing in the games is just a continuation of that.”

Isn't this what Jason Peter was talking about on his blog? I remember him writing something to the effect that the Blackshirts pounded each other all week and that is why they were so physical on Saturday. He was writing about how he was surprised the current defense does not practice much in pads.

It's amazing how such a simple philosophy can have such amazing results. It must be "too technical" for BC to understand!

I reffed a few Pope John games this year... the kids definatly play for the guy, good motivator, and they have a fun offense to watch. Only weird thing about him is that he wears a backwards Mets hat... very odd for the head coach of a high school team, but hey whatever gets it done right.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

A pro coach has to protect his players from injury, BC is a pro coach and brought a pro mentality to Nebraska, hence no real hitting in practice. One of many mistakes. College players need to hit in practice that way they aren't shocked when Saturday comes and some guy from the other team pops them. My old coach used to say that you play like you practice so practice hard and tough and that's how you will play when it counts.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

In another thread, the poster brought up some statistics on what kind of defense the previous 7 NC's had in terms of final ranking. I believe each of the 7 except for 1 had a top 10 defense. This is why the cliche "defense wins championships" has been around for so long. The same poster said statistically speaking Oregon didn't have a good chance of winning the NC this year due to not having a strong defense. Well, I guess he was proven right last night.

In order to get things turned around here, we do have to start on the defensive side of the ball. By forcing 3 and outs, it gives whatever offense we run the ball more often. If we have the ball more often than our opponents do, statistically speaking we have a better chance of scoring more points than they do. We cannot have teams running 100+ plays against us and have a good chance of winning the game. I realize we beat Iowa State this year, but they ran 101 plays against us. This will not win very many games.

In 2007, LSU tops the BCS and is #1 in total defense. Ohio State has the #2 defense and is ranked #7 in the BCS. USC is #3 in total defense and is #11 in the BCS. West Virginia is #4 in defense and #6 in the BCS. Clemson is #5 in defense and #15 in the BCS.

None of the above mentioned schools are in the top 10 for total offense. Texas Tech is #1 in total offense, but nowhere to be found in the top 25. Tulsa is #2 in total offense, but again nowhere to be found in the top 25. In fact, only 4 of the top offenses are even ranked in the top 25. Consequently, 7 out of the top 10 defenses are ranked in the top 25.

Whoever the next coach is, it's obvious that defense needs to be the emphasis of the team.

...and the Huskers eliminated contact in their practices

Not completely, but quite a bit.

It's enough to say that NU has changed at all in this area. WHY would you not practice hitting drills? Yeah. Why not just have 20 minute video sessions all week and just talk about the team with no physical contact. Someone can bring a snack for everybody and we can take turns!!1 I got rice crispie treats next week!!1!

<_<