No reassignment in Callahan's contract

OWH

NU Football: No reassignment in Callahan's pact

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - According to football coach Bill Callahan's contract, the University of Nebraska can not reassign him within the athletic department or rewrite his job description if it chooses to remove him from his current position.

By contract, Nebraska can't rewrite coach Bill Callahan's job description.As such, there is no option other than firing Callahan and paying the specified liquidated damages if NU decides not to retain him after the regular season ends Nov. 23 at Colorado.

"If you ask me, 'Well, could anything else happen?' Yes, if it's negotiated," said Dick Wood, vice president and general counsel for NU. "But as far as the rights of the university and the rights of the coach, they're spelled out in that contract."

Section 14 of the contract states that football coach "is the only position for which Coach Callahan is being employed, and the University shall not have the right to reassign Coach Callahan to any other position."

Wood said he believes a clause like that is in the contracts of the majority of NCAA Division I-A head coaches.

After the 1997 season, Texas removed John Mackovic as football coach and reassigned him within its athletic department. Mackovic had signed an extension that stipulated he could be moved into a job with "executive level administrative responsibilities in the athletics department."

There's a short list of other football head coaches who recently have been fired or resigned and then taken or had been offered another position at that university. They include Tom Craft at San Diego State, R.C. Slocum at Texas A&M, Rick Minter at Cincinnati and Lee Owens at Akron.

Most firings result in the school owing a severance package to the former coach.

"Bill Parcells once told me to remember that I came to a school to coach and do nothing else," Jim Donnan once told ESPN.com. He was fired by Georgia in 2000 and then owed $2.4 million. "So when they fired me, it was in my contract that I couldn't be reassigned."

Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne is waiting until after the Nebraska-Colorado game to make any announcement on Callahan's future. If fired, the fourth-year coach would be owed $62,500 monthly through Jan. 31, 2012, resulting in roughly $3 million in total compensation.

Section 14 of the contract states that football coach "is the only position for which Coach Callahan is being employed, and the University shall not have the right to reassign Coach Callahan to any other position."

Uhh..Do we still have a FLAG Football (intramural) program?

:nutz

Rugby, anyone?

Yea but he's to technical for the intramural players to grasp his system

Yea but he's to technical for the intramural players to grasp his system

Even better...(Frustrate the bejesus outa him).

Can you passblock in Rugby?

OWH

NU Football: No reassignment in Callahan's pact

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - According to football coach Bill Callahan's contract, the University of Nebraska can not reassign him within the athletic department or rewrite his job description if it chooses to remove him from his current position.

By contract, Nebraska can't rewrite coach Bill Callahan's job description.As such, there is no option other than firing Callahan and paying the specified liquidated damages if NU decides not to retain him after the regular season ends Nov. 23 at Colorado.

"If you ask me, 'Well, could anything else happen?' Yes, if it's negotiated," said Dick Wood, vice president and general counsel for NU. "But as far as the rights of the university and the rights of the coach, they're spelled out in that contract."

Wood said he believes a clause like that is in the contracts of the majority of NCAA Division I-A head coaches.

After the 1997 season, Texas removed John Mackovic as football coach and reassigned him within its athletic department. Mackovic had signed an extension that stipulated he could be moved into a job with "executive level administrative responsibilities in the athletics department."

There's a short list of other football head coaches who recently have been fired or resigned and then taken or had been offered another position at that university. They include Tom Craft at San Diego State, R.C. Slocum at Texas A&M, Rick Minter at Cincinnati and Lee Owens at Akron.

Most firings result in the school owing a severance package to the former coach.

"Bill Parcells once told me to remember that I came to a school to coach and do nothing else," Jim Donnan once told ESPN.com. He was fired by Georgia in 2000 and then owed $2.4 million. "So when they fired me, it was in my contract that I couldn't be reassigned."

Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne is waiting until after the Nebraska-Colorado game to make any announcement on Callahan's future. If fired, the fourth-year coach would be owed $62,500 monthly through Jan. 31, 2012, resulting in roughly $3 million in total compensation.

Hence the calm and relaxed Bill Callahan that we've seen. <_<