what a difference a year makes

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics. With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do, which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics. With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do, which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

When was the last time USC was "hoping" for a bowl game since Pete Carroll's first year? When was the last time OU was "hoping" for a bowl game since Bob Stoops first year? You speak like there's no programs out there that consistently win and make bowl games, but that couldn't be further from the truth. When was the last time Texas was "hoping" for a bowl game? These programs are consistently ranked, and in most years are ranked high.

We are very close to being there? What in his four years here has convinced you that we're getting closer to the ranks of Texas and Oklahoma? Since he's been here, we've been surpassed by Kansas, Okie State, etc. Not only have we surrendered the Big 12 to Texas and OU, we've let other Big 12 teams pass us by. A loss this week ties us for bottom of the North. Next year, we graduate nearly 2/3 of our D. I guess I don't share your optimism.

It's not about the wins and losses and it never has been, it's how the kids play the game. That's what everyone calling for Callahan to stay is missing in all of this. People focus on Callahan's win/loss record and that's just never, ever what this program has been about.

Not the victory but the action

Not the goal but the game

In the deed the glory

It is Callahan's unwillingness or inability to embrace this basic tenet of Husker Football that has brought about his downfall.

Look at who we are. Half our population lives in Lincoln and Omaha, another 1/4 lives in minor cities/towns across the state. But nearly all of us living in Nebraska can trace back one or two generations to some very basic, simple folk, often farmers, who built Nebraska on hard work and ethic, on substance over style, on dirt under their nails rather than gel in their hair.

We are people who don't care too much that we look good as long as we are good. The Callahan Era has been exactly the opposite - all flash and very little substance.

That's why I'm saying he needs to go. Not because he's a bad guy (he's not), not because he's evil (he's not), not because he's failing to win games (he is, but that's beside the point), it's because he doesn't know who we are, and he hasn't bothered to learn. Simply put, he's not a Husker.

I just don't see how a person can truly know what this program was founded on and still think there's reason to keep Callahan here.

I understand that there are programs who win consistently. Nebraska was there and we will be there again. Neither Bob Stoops or Pete Carrol had to undertake the offensive change that Bill has. I'm not saying Bill Callahan is Bob Stoops or Pete Carrol, he hasn't proved himself on that level YET. It is very hard to change one aspect of a program and still keep every other aspect sound. It takes time, there will be bumps. Few would have this program in a better place after 4 years with these circumstances. Things aren't as bad as they seem. 5-6 isn't good, I know this. But it takes time and we will win soon. You have to take your lumps.

I understand that there are programs who win consistently. Nebraska was there and we will be there again. Neither Bob Stoops or Pete Carrol had to undertake the offensive change that Bill has. I'm not saying Bill Callahan is Bob Stoops or Pete Carrol, he hasn't proved himself on that level YET. It is very hard to change one aspect of a program and still keep every other aspect sound. It takes time, there will be bumps. Few would have this program in a better place after 4 years with these circumstances. Things aren't as bad as they seem. 5-6 isn't good, I know this. But it takes time and we will win soon. You have to take your lumps.

Can you please tell me what it is about Bill Callahan that says "He's a Husker" to you?

Honestly, sometimes I think we could dress a giraffe up in a Husker shirt, call him the Head Coach, and someone somewhere would be saying he's "doing a good job" or he's "making progress" or "just give him one more year and he'll get it turned around."

The saddest part of the BCE is not our wins and losses, it's what Callahan's program has led Husker Fans to believe they should expect out of the program. It's really sad to me.

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics.

With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do,

where the hell did you get this idea??

which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

I think that Bill is ready to change his approach. Joe Ganz seems to be a much better style of QB for this offense, and I think Bill can see this. If he doesn't change, if he doesn't adjust then I don't think he is the man for the job. These things take time, you have to allow trial and error to take place. I think he will adjust, if he doesn't then pull the trigger and fire him. Don't be hasty.

I think that Bill is ready to change his approach. Joe Ganz seems to be a much better style of QB for this offense, and I think Bill can see this. If he doesn't change, if he doesn't adjust then I don't think he is the man for the job. These things take time, you have to allow trial and error to take place. I think he will adjust, if he doesn't then pull the trigger and fire him. Don't be hasty.

my only question is why did he not take a harder look at Ganz last year and recognize his ability?

you have to admit, Ganz would still be an unknown quantity were it not for Keller's season ending injury.

no, there are way to many question marks about not only Ganz, but other players or were shuffled like a deck of playing cards from position to position, defense to offense and back again......this is a guy who dreams a new dream everyday and has trouble deciding reality. IMHO he has squandered a bunch of talent here since he took over. as one article related, Brandon Jackson goes from 4th string RB to 1st string and high draft choice in 4 months! is cally really that bad at evaluating his kids? i think he may be.......sad deal.

I agree that he has seemed to have problems evaluating talent. The Joe Ganz / Sam Keller situation doesn't really exemplify this in my opinion. I think that choice was made more on the style of the QB than the actual QB. Is this right? No, but I believe Billy C really felt that the pro style QB was more fit for his offense. He was wrong, and hopefully he has learned something. The BJax situation was sad, but it is hard to not see Callahan's side of things. Marlon Lucky was highly touted out of high school and has the tools to be a great back. Kenny Wilson was a dominating runner who excelled in practice. Cody Glenn was a fan favorite and a great compliment to the style of Lucky. BJax seemingly came out of nowhere. A JUCO back and he fell under the radar. This happens quite a bit in football. See Drew Bledsoe over Tom Brady. There are a lot of players out on the field, you have to start with a base ranking. Brandon was just low on this list. Compare it to Kansas not being ranked at the beginning of this season. Plus some guys just perform better in games. Brandon didn't have outstanding speed or strength. It was his vision that set him a part, something that is not near as easy to see in a practice situation as say a 40 time. I'm sure the "no contact" bs of a practice theory has something to do with this also. :)

my only question is why did he not take a harder look at Ganz last year and recognize his ability?

you have to admit, Ganz would still be an unknown quantity were it not for Keller's season ending injury.

My theory on that is Callahan promised Keller the starting job and that's why he committed so quickly to NU.

yeah, mine too, but as you know that is only a theory and we have no proof.

Where do you get Bjax as a Juco? Where do you get that he came out of nowhere? He was a better runner than Porkchop, but he didn't get to play very much because his blocking wasn't very good when he was a frosh and sophomore.

yeah agree, hard to develop the blocking skills when you don't practice in pads..... <_<