what a difference a year makes

Interesting stats I just compiled going through huskers.com

Bob Devaney

Against Top 25 Teams (11-11-1 48%) First 4 Years (2-3-0 40%)

Tom Osborne

Against Top 25 Teams (62-38-2 61%) First 4 Years (10-6-1 59%)

Frank Solich

Against Top 25 Teams (11-13-0 44%) First 4 Years (10-7-0 59%)

Bill Callahan

Against Top 25 Teams (2-10-0 17%)

That pretty much says it all in a nutshell.

It's still not relevant to anything. TO and Solich inherited far different programs than Callahan inherited.

How about Devaney coming in? You think he had phenomenal athletes that Bill Jennings left him in his first 4 years? Yet he still managed.

He had a losing record, did he not?

And comparing the era Devaney coached in to the modern era is strictly apples-to-oranges.

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Frank Solich

Bill Callahan

No it doesn't.

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Frank Solich

Bill Callahan

No it doesn't.

Yeah, it does.

I think that Bill is ready to change his approach. Joe Ganz seems to be a much better style of QB for this offense, and I think Bill can see this. If he doesn't change, if he doesn't adjust then I don't think he is the man for the job. These things take time, you have to allow trial and error to take place. I think he will adjust, if he doesn't then pull the trigger and fire him. Don't be hasty.

my only question is why did he not take a harder look at Ganz last year and recognize his ability?

you have to admit, Ganz would still be an unknown quantity were it not for Keller's season ending injury.

no, there are way to many question marks about not only Ganz, but other players or were shuffled like a deck of playing cards from position to position, defense to offense and back again......this is a guy who dreams a new dream everyday and has trouble deciding reality. IMHO he has squandered a bunch of talent here since he took over. as one article related, Brandon Jackson goes from 4th string RB to 1st string and high draft choice in 4 months! is cally really that bad at evaluating his kids? i think he may be.......sad deal.

Yes this is another issue to add to the list. How good would the O-Line be if highly touted guys like Muy and Roark were allowed to stay there and flourish. They may have gave other reasons for leaving but I believe this had to be at the heart of it. Sure other coaches move players from one side to another but no one has done it without care more than Callahan. Culbert is being bounced around like Leon Jackson. It is troubling.

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Frank Solich

Bill Callahan

No it doesn't.

Yeah, it does.

Yeah, IT DOES.

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Frank Solich

Bill Callahan

No it doesn't.

Yeah, it does.

Yeah, IT DOES.

It does NOT x infinity.

So there!

Winner! chuckleshuffle

Bob Devaney

Tom Osborne

Frank Solich

Bill Callahan

No it doesn't.

Yeah, it does.

Yeah, IT DOES.

It does NOT x infinity.

So there!

Winner! chuckleshuffle

LOL :clap

It's still not relevant to anything. TO and Solich inherited far different programs than Callahan inherited.

How about Devaney coming in? You think he had phenomenal athletes that Bill Jennings left him in his first 4 years? Yet he still managed.

He had a losing record, did he not?

And comparing the era Devaney coached in to the modern era is strictly apples-to-oranges.

No, Devaney was 9-2 his first year, 1962. Won the Gotham Bowl over Miami.

You are right about one thing: it is like comparing apples to oranges. When Devaney took over, he inherited a terrible, losing team. Nebraska had not had a winning season for years. Callahan inherited a 10-3 team (which, incidently, is the last time Nebraska has had as few as 3 losses). The "era" has nothing to do with anything.

Everybody who is a Callahan apologist spouts the garbage about inheriting the wrong players for "his system". I never bought that crap. A GOOD coach adjusts his scheme to the talents of the players that he has. A GREAT coach adjusts to the players he has and wins consistently. A POOR coach tries to force-feed a system on players ill-suited to that philosophy.

Football is a simple game, really. Whoever blocks and tackles best, wins. Whoever has the most desire and motivation, wins. Just watch Kansas this year.

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics. With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do, which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

Occasionally monitoring this board over the last few months, as I have, I can't help but be struck by how many of the posts resemble the Sooner boards in 1998. The same anger, frustration, laments, desperation, over a legendary program brought low by a combination of bad coaching (and coaches) and long-term hangover from poor athletic program mistakes made years before.

And, oh yeah, I remember posts like yours, too, wsccubsfan19.

Anyone who has seen my (few) posts here know I am not an Oklahoma homer trying to troll or sow disruption on the Nebraska board. Though I certainly am not going to sit here and try to convince everyone that I like Nebraska in the sense that we're chummy buddies, I nevertheless think anyone who's read my few contributions here knows that I sincerely respect your program and its storied history, and the classiness of your fans.

I've seen the Game of the Century. Even through the somewhat distorted filter of replayed TV, it was nothing less than a majestic clash of true titans. I've watched the legendary contests through the late seventies and eighties, contests the outcome of which often meant either OU or Nebraska was headed to play for bigger things at the end of the season. I miss that, just as I'm sure many of the Nebraska fans here would tell you that they missed the larger-than-life excitement of those kind of games between our two teams when OU was at such a low point during the 1990's.

I want the Nebraska I remember from those days back, wsccubsfan19, and I'm a Crimson & Cream Sooner fan to the core. I want those games, those epic struggles between the Sooners and the Cornhuskers, struggles that really matter in the college football scheme of things year after year after year! I seem to want it more than you do, going by the OP you posted. Because, and I say this with all due respect to this board, you're never going to get it with Callahan as your head coach.

Guys like you posted on the Sooner board back in 1998 all the myriad reasons why we should give our manifest failure of a HC umpteenth chances to "turn it around" until the year 2038, and they spent a good deal of hair-splitting effort arguing just as you are now in this thread about all the reasons why we just didn't get it. It's almost like being in a time warp; the only thing different is the name of the team, the fans involved, and the coaching staff being discussed.

I think many of your fellow Cornhusker fans are no longer interested in all the myriad excuses and "just give it time" pablum you're peddling in this OP. I know I wasn't when I was in their place as a Sooner fan, back in 1997.

I just think your fellow Cornhuskers want to start the process of putting their storied program back into the powerhouse pantheon where it properly belongs year after year. And this Sooner fan agrees with them.

Thank you for letting me have my say.

This time last year we were getting ready for the Big 12 Championship game. This board was dominated by Bill supporters. Now we are hoping for a bowl game, and the board is definitely pro-firing. Success should be savored, as it is not that easy to come by. I am not saying we were ever completely where we wanted to be, but we were making progress. Shouldn't setbacks be expected? I understand this year was terrible, but things tend to snowball in college athletics. With a new approach to the game, something Bill is ready to do, which includes a revamped defense, a more mobile QB, and a Dr. Tom aided focus on tradition it is very possible Bill can win. He has turned this offense around in 4 years. Not an easy task, and he is learning. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are championship football programs. (and argue all you want that he inherited a great program, we were on the downslope and he was given the task to both put the brakes on and turn the program around, that takes time) Someone new would have to start over. Bill can win and he will win. He needs time, but we are very close to being there.

Occasionally monitoring this board over the last few months, as I have, I can't help but be struck by how many of the posts resemble the Sooner boards in 1998. The same anger, frustration, laments, desperation, over a legendary program brought low by a combination of bad coaching (and coaches) and long-term hangover from poor athletic program mistakes made years before.

Anyone who has seen my (few) posts here know I am not an Oklahoma homer trying to troll or sow disruption on the Nebraska board. Though I certainly am not going to sit here and try to convince everyone that I like Nebraska in the sense that we're chummy buddies, I nevertheless think anyone who's read my few contributions here knows that I sincerely respect your program and its storied history, and the classiness of your fans.

I've seen the Game of the Century. Even through the somewhat distorted filter of replayed TV, it was nothing less than a majestic clash of true titans. I've watched the legendary contests through the late seventies and eighties, contests the outcome of which often meant either OU or Nebraska was headed to play for bigger things at the end of the season. I miss that, just as I'm sure many of the Nebraska fans here would tell you that they missed the larger-than-life excitement of those kind of games between our two teams when OU was at such a low point during the 1990's.

I want the Nebraska I remember from those days back, wsccubsfan19, and I'm a Crimson & Cream Sooner fan to the core. I want those games, those epic struggles between the Sooners and the Cornhuskers, struggles that really matter in the college football scheme of things year after year after year! I seem to want it more than you do, going by the OP you posted. Because, and I say this with all due respect to this board, you're never going to get it with Callahan as your head coach.

Guys like you posted on the Sooner board back in 1998 all the myriad reasons why we should give our manifest failure of a HC umpteenth chances to "turn it around" until the year 2038, and they spent a good deal of hair-splitting effort arguing just as you are now in this thread about all the reasons why we just didn't get it. It's almost like being in a time warp; the only thing different is the name of the team, the fans involved, and the coaching staff being discussed.

I think many of your fellow Cornhusker fans are no longer interested in all the myriad excuses and "just give it time" pablum you're peddling in this OP. I know I wasn't when I was in their place as a Sooner fan, back in 1997.

I just think your fellow Cornhuskers want to start the process of putting their storied program back into the powerhouse pantheon where it properly belongs year after year. And this Sooner fan agrees with them.

Gee thanks! :sarcasm

Now all the other cornheads can thank you for your kind words (as I puke).

Thanks for those great words from someone who's "been there" before. It seems like you really get what great football is all about.

I hope you keep posting here, whether you root for the Huskers or not. Wisdom is in short supply these days.

:thumbs

<snipped for brevity's sake>

It's sad that you don't get what makes a Husker a Husker, yet our mortal "foe," a Sooners fan, does.

Wisdom comes in many forms. Here on this board it doesn't always wear Crimson and Cream.

I appreciated what JTG had to say because I love college football and I love the Huskers. I'd like to see another 200 posts of his rather than some of the drivel Husker Fans have been posting here lately, because he gets it.

But then there has to be someone who comes along who, rather than wanting to hear the truth, just wants to hear themselves talk and try to act too cool for the room. There's always "that guy" it seems.

This time, that guy was you.

Don't be that guy.

<snipped for brevity's sake>

It's sad that you don't get what makes a Husker a Husker, yet our mortal "foe," a Sooners fan, does.

Wisdom comes in many forms. Here on this board it doesn't always wear Crimson and Cream.

I appreciated what JTG had to say because I love college football and I love the Huskers. I'd like to see another 200 posts of his rather than some of the drivel Husker Fans have been posting here lately, because he gets it.

But then there has to be someone who comes along who, rather than wanting to hear the truth, just wants to hear themselves talk and try to act too cool for the room. There's always "that guy" it seems.

This time, that guy was you.

Don't be that guy.

:yeah