US Army All star game

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone making the trip? Here are a couple pretty cool quotes about Husker fans from 2 of our recruits:

“If Nebraska fans showed up like that or at least a lot of them, that would be the best. They have such great fans, so I am hoping they show up, but looking at how they travel and everything, you almost expect them to. I’m sure they will be there, at least a few. They seem to go everything else that has to do with Nebraska, so I’m thinking they will make it" Leon Jackson

"Those fans will follow that team anywhere," he said. "You have to think they will be down there in force and it’s going to be crazy if they are. I’ll be like ‘yeah, those are our fans, where are yours? I'm hoping a lot show up."

Rodney Picou

Starting Rosters:

East Offense - West Offense

QB: Greg Paulus QB: Mark Sanchez

RB: Toney Baker RB: Jamaal Charles

TE: Anthony Moeaki TE: Martellus Bennett:

WR: Patrick Turner WR: David Gettis

WR: Fred Rouse WR: Todd Walker

WR: Trey Stross WR: DeSean Jackson

LT: Chris Scott LT: Reginald Youngblood

LG: Dan Doering LG: Ndamakong Suh

C: Michael Oher C: Josh McNeil

RG: Dace Richardson RG: Craig Roark

RT: Alex Boone RT: Daniel Borg

K: Matt Waldron K: Jordan Congdon

East Defense West Defense

LE: Earl Heyman LE: Marcus Shavers

LT: JB Paxson LT: DeMarcus Granger

RT: Marques Slocum RT: Roy Miller

RE: Ryan Bain RE: Aaron Lewis

LOB: Rico McCoy LOB: Phillip Dillard

MLB: Derek Nicholson MLB: Rey Maualuga

ROB: Brian Cushing ROB: Ryan Reynolds

SS: Adam Myers-White SS: Brandon Tatum

FS: Kenny Phillips FS: Reggie Smith

LC: Jamario O’Neal LC: Derek Pegues

RC: Justin King RC: Kevin Thomas

P: Zoltan Mesko P: Justin Brantly

Not to sour on these all-star games, but isn't it stupid to pull these kids away from school during their senior years when some haven't even qualified to go to college yet? We all know academics take the backseat to athletics, I guess it will take an injury to realize that this is all a pretty stupid idea.

Not to sour on these all-star games, but isn't it stupid to pull these kids away from school during their senior years when some haven't even qualified to go to college yet? We all know academics take the backseat to athletics, I guess it will take an injury to realize that this is all a pretty stupid idea.

I understand your point about the academics, but you can't not play a game for fear of getting hurt. That's part of the game IMO.

Here are Tom Lemmings predictions of whos going to commit to who....if this is the way things happen we wont be getting jack!!!!

espn

Alas, I am not a espn insider. I guess that is a pay article?

Sorry! Tom Lemmings Predictions:

Nyan Boateng - Florida over Nebraska

Raymond Henderson - Tennessee over Oklahoma and Iowa

Rey Maualaga - USC over Oregon

Adam Meyers-White - Tennessee over Nebraska and Purdue

James McKinney - Michigan over Louisville

Martellus Bennett - Texas over Texas A&M

Jerrell Powe - Auburn over Miss State, LSU, Texas A&M and Ole Miss

David Nelson - Florida over ND and Iowa

I dont put to much into what he says, but I wouldnt be suprised if we walk away with nada....this could be a long weekend fellas!

:smokin:smokin:smokin

Yes we very well could get "shutout" - if you want to call it that. But in reality its the antithesis of shutout at this point. We have 6 - count em six playaz in the Army All-Star game this year fellas - when have we EVER been able to say that? Never. Even if we walk away from the game with no new vebals, hell even if we come up zeros with the remaining on the board, we still close the books on this recruiting season with a solid top 10 finish. So IMO anything else is just another layer of frosting on the already frosted cake.

Mitch Sherman: Husker fans get bowl fix in Texas

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

RELATED STORY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»

2005 NU football commitments

LINCOLN - No bowl game? No problem.

A few hundred Nebraska football fans, apparently undeterred by the Huskers' absence from a postseason game for the first time since 1968, are set to satisfy their bowl fix this week.

U.S. Army

All-American Bowl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• What: High school all-star football game

• When: noon Saturday

• Where: San Antonio

• TV: NBC

Greg Zyntek of Greensboro, N.C., helped organize a gathering of NU fans in San Antonio for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Seventy-eight of the nation's top high school seniors will participate in the all-star game, to be played Saturday at noon in the Alamodome. NBC will show the game live. The players began practice at two San Antonio high schools Monday.

NU fans won't be far behind.

With six Nebraska recruits on the West roster and none, as of yet, committed to the Huskers from the East squad, Zyntek and his group will not have trouble picking sides.

He said Tuesday he has heard from 500 to 700 NU fans with plans to attend. Throw in those traveling on their own, and Zyntek expects close to 1,000 decked out in red. They've even planned Husker-oriented gatherings on the Riverwalk for Friday night and Saturday.

"We kind of have a pattern to go to a bowl game every year," said Zyntek, a 44-year-old Nebraska native, "and people are looking for a place to go this time of year."

Nebraska's top two running back recruits - Marlon Lucky of Valley Village, Calif., and Leon Jackson of Pasco, Wash. - will both play. Other committed NU recruits on the West team are offensive linemen Craig Roark of Ada, Okla., and Rodney Picou of Canyon Springs, Calif., place-kicker Jordan Congdon of San Diego and linebacker Phillip Dillard of Tulsa, Okla.

Nebraska, which fell to No. 2 in the rivals.com recruiting rankings this week behind Oklahoma, remains in contention for several other prospects in San Antonio.

Defensive back Reggie Smith of Edmond, Okla., was a star at practice Monday with three interceptions for the West team, according to the official press release distributed by game officials. Smith is choosing from among Nebraska, USC and Oklahoma.

He won't announce a decision at the game, but Nyan Boateng will. The two-sport star from Brooklyn, N.Y., visited Nebraska in October. Over the past two months, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound wide receiver has listed NU, Florida and Michigan as his leaders.

Other U.S. Army all-stars who continue to consider the Huskers include defensive end Raymond Henderson, linemen Ndamukong Suh and Jerrell Powe of the West team and lineman James McKinney of the East squad.

In addition, approximately 400 top juniors are scheduled to participate in a combine at the Alamodome Saturday and Sunday.

"As a fan, you don't always feel like you get to be a real big part of the program - especially those of us who live a distance away," Zyntek said. "We're not going to sway anybody to Nebraska. But if we can do our little part, that's great. I hope a lot of people notice us."