Your top reasonable candidates

Not Johnson. I do not want the days of not being able to throw the football again.

Johnson, unlike Callahan, uses what he has around him and what is easiest for him to obtain to win..

Hey Blackshirt, get to know Paul Johnson, the more you research the guy, the more you'll like him. Here's his bio broken down a bit:

When college football experts around the country talk about the best college football coaches in America, the conversation should begin with Navy head coach Paul Johnson. After all, what he has accomplished at the Naval Academy in five seasons has been of historic proportions.

Johnson took over a program that had posted a 1-20 record the previous two years before his arrival in 2002. After a 2-10 mark in his first year, the Navy football program has achieved what many thought was no longer possible at an Academy, as Johnson has brought the Midshipmen back into the national spotlight with a 35-15 (.700) record over the last four years and has led Navy to a school-record four-straight bowl games and a school-record four-consecutive Commander-In-Chief's Trophies. The 35 wins are the second most in program history over a four-year time span.

Johnson's .744 career winning percentage (99-34) ranks 10th among all active coaches, while a win over Temple in the season opener this fall would make him the 26th-fastest coach to reach 100 wins in NCAA history.

Like a fine wine, Johnson's teams are better as they age. Over the last four years, Navy has posted a 10-2 (.833) record over the final three games of the season and has outscored the opposition, 464-246, in those contests. And if you give him time to prepare for an opponent, he is pretty tough to beat as well, as the Mids are 13-5 (.722) over the last four years when Johnson has more than a week to break down the other team's defense.

Johnson's teams have been successful off the field as well, as Navy ranks No. 1 in the country in graduation rates.

Johnson was recognized for his coaching exploits when he was named the 2004 Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year.

Johnson took over a program that was coming off the worst two-year span in its 123-year history (1-20) and had recorded just two winning seasons the last-20 years.

"The program didn't get the way it is overnight, and it's not going to change overnight," said Johnson. "But I am confident that you can win here. If I didn't believe that, I would have never accepted the job."

Johnson came to Navy from Georgia Southern, where he posted a 62-10 (.861) record, won two-straight I-AA National Championships (1999 and 2000), five-straight Southern Conference Championships and was named the Division I-AA National Coach of the Year four-consecutive times (1997-2000).

After Johnson took over as head coach at Georgia Southern in 1997, he returned the Eagle program to national prominence statistically and in the won-lost ledger. In addition to Georgia Southern's 62-10 mark,

In 1998, Johnson guided the Eagles to a perfect 11-0 regular-season record and the school's sixth NCAA Division I-AA National Championship Game appearance before finishing with a 14-1 mark.

In 1999, Johnson brought Georgia Southern back to the national championship game and this time won it, as the Eagles finished 13-2, broke 197 records and won the school's fifth national title. For his efforts, Johnson was honored as the 1999 American Football Coaches Association and Chevrolet I-AA National Coach of the Year.

The Eagles came back in 2000 and won their second-straight national championship, posting a 13-2 record. Johnson was named the American Football Coaches Association I-AA Coach of the Year.

Johnson was Navy's offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 and his spread offense made an immediate impact, breaking five school records during the Mids' five-win season in 1995, equaling the most wins by a Navy team since 1990.

Prior to joining the Navy staff, Johnson spent eight seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of Hawai'i (1987-94). He helped guide the Rainbows to their first Western Athletic Conference title and their first bowl appearance coordinating an explosive offense that broke or equaled over 160 school records.

While at Hawai'i, Johnson developed a successful offensive unit which earned top-20 I-A statistical rankings in scoring offense, total offense and rushing offense during six of his eight seasons. He earned Top Offensive Coach honors in the WAC and was named one of the top-10 assistant coaches in the country by The Sporting News.

Johnson, a native of Newland, N.C., earned his Bachelor of Science degree in physical education from Western Carolina in 1979 and a Master's of Science degree in health and physical education from Appalachian State in 1982. He and wife, Susan, are the parents of a daughter, Kaitlyn (14).

1. Greg Schiano - Rutgers.......Great media guy, organized, can recruit Florida and the East Coast well, and built Rutgers into a decent program. DEfensive minded with good motivational skills.

2. Paul Johnson - Navy....just wins everywhere he goes......just read other threads

3. Jim Grobe - Wake Forest....good personality and demeanor. Built a small, private basketball school into a competitive Division winning football team. Can recruit the South -SPEED

4. Ed Orgeron - (just fired) Ole Miss.....built the USC dynasty with his recruiting skill, now knows the South as well as the West Coast. Tough to win @ Ole Miss.

5. Bo Pelini - Wild Card - not quite sold, but if hired, he will win many games or lose quite few

4. Ed Orgeron - (just fired) Ole Miss.....built the USC dynasty with his recruiting skill, now knows the South as well as the West Coast. Tough to win @ Ole Miss.

Orgeron? What would make you think he'd be attractive to NU? I mean besides the fact that he's now looking for a job?

affordable, bargain guy??