590 has just reported:

Source: Pelini contacted by Nebraska

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Nov 24, 2007 - 09:05:34 am CST

Whatever the news is, it’s coming early. And quickly.

Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne will hold a press conference at 9:30 a.m. this morning when many expect to hear that Bill Callahan’s tenure as Nebraska’s head coach is over.

But already Saturday morning, the wheels began to turn as NU searches for Callahan's replacement. A source with knowledge of the situation told the Journal Star that Bo Pelini, the former Nebraska defensive coordinator, was contacted Saturday morning by the Atlanta-based search firm of Baker-Parker and Associates.

Pelini, who is currently the defensive coordinator of No. 1-ranked Louisiana State, is considered a front-runner for the Nebraska position. Current Buffalo coach and former Husker Turner Gill has also been mentioned.

Osborne's much anticipated meeting with Callahan came early Saturday morning and apparently lasted only a few minutes. Callahan arrived outside Memorial Stadium at 7:20 a.m., his arrival followed in a few minutes by Osborne's.

Callahan left at 7:35, waving to reporters as he drove his black Lexus sport-utility vehicle from a restricted area located to the east of Nebraska's practice fields. Reached around 8:05 a.m. by telephone, Callahan declined comment.

The first staff members began arriving at Memorial Stadium around 7 a.m., although it appeared as if Nebraska's assistant coaches were gathering for an 8 a.m. meeting. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson arrived around 7:30. Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove, offensive line coach Dennis Wagner and running backs coach Randy Jordan pulled in around 7:50.

A guard posted near the restricted parking area off Lincoln's North 14th Street told the Journal Star that "out of respect for the coaches, we want to have privacy."

A players meeting was scheduled for 10:30 a.m., and according to one of the Huskers, players were invited to attend the news conference.

On Friday, Nebraska lost 65-51 at Colorado to end its season at 5-7.

In four seasons, Callahan has a 27-22 mark at Nebraska.

After the game Friday, he spoke as a man who was about to hear some bad news.

“I’m going to wake up tomorrow and deal with whatever we deal with and carry on,” he said. “I’m sure Coach Osborne has a lot to talk about him. We’ll sit down and visit about them.”

They are not #1 and they don't have the number 1 defense and he might be on the hotseat because they gave up MUCHO points over the last 7 games! 4 TDs per game, and that's not including the 2 OT losses! Osborne, like Landry were devought religious men. I don't think that fits Pelini and I don't think he really fits the tradition that was built back in 1962 and perfected with TO as OC and later HC. I don't think that he is agood fit for this school and what it takes to return to glory, ASAP! I think he will be a big MISTAKE!

They are not #1 and they don't have the number 1 defense and he might be on the hotseat because they gave up MUCHO points over the last 7 games! 4 TDs per game, and that's not including the 2 OT losses! Osborne, like Landry were devought religious men. I don't think that fits Pelini and I don't think he really fits the tradition that was built back in 1962 and perfected with TO as OC and later HC. I don't think that he is agood fit for this school and what it takes to return to glory, ASAP! I think he will be a big MISTAKE!

four exclamation points...you're the man!!!!...

I'm actually kind of glad they lost. Now if Pelini is Osborne's choice, we'll have him sooner rather than later. Are they still BCS bound or is that well pretty much dried up? Somehow it seems more likely he'll get here to recruit if all they have in store is the Toilet Bowl (relatively speaking, that is).

X

Those are the ATHLETES! They are giving up 4-5 TDs per game!

11-2? Then why not hire Nick Holt from USC, they have been to 5 straight BCS Bowls and they play the same style of zone defense? You dudes are talking like fools. When NU was on top we played plenty of great players and shut them down! Their defense is not playing great, yet you are blindly sold on hiring a dude that has never been a head coach to correct what was ruined by a guy that took a an NFL team to the Super Bowl!

four exclamation points...you're the man!!!!...

All he needs to do is hold you to under 51 - HA !!!