So, how many years is realistic?

Teacher

OK, you guys are going to be getting a new coach (again). So, how many years will you give the new guy to produce a national championship team before you want his head? Any number lower than 5 is unrealistic. What's the deal? How long will the new guy get?

Teacher

Your question presumes that we need National Championships to be satisfied. I'd say that if after two or three seasons the coach has not gone to a valuable bowl or at least made an appearance in the Big XII championship, people would start to get nervous. 9-10 win seasons are not out of reach considering our schedules the next couple years. So long as we're competetive and fierce in our losses, I won't have much to complain about. But at Nebraska we expect to win. It's not even a question. Failure is never tolerated for long.

This. Is. NEBRASKA.

X

OK, you guys are going to be getting a new coach (again). So, how many years will you give the new guy to produce a national championship team before you want his head? Any number lower than 5 is unrealistic. What's the deal? How long will the new guy get?

Teacher

Devaney set the standard, sorta. He basically turned the Huskers around right away. And the situation was very similar in that the Huskers were really bad for several years under Jennings. Devaney took us to the Gotham Bowl in his first season here, 1962. I expect the same from the next coach. At least a winning season and a minor bowl.

Teacher

Your question presumes that we need National Championships to be satisfied. I'd say that if after two or three seasons the coach has not gone to a valuable bowl or at least made an appearance in the Big XII championship, people would start to get nervous. 9-10 win seasons are not out of reach considering our schedules the next couple years. So long as we're competetive and fierce in our losses, I won't have much to complain about. But at Nebraska we expect to win. It's not even a question. Failure is never tolerated for long.

This. Is. NEBRASKA.

X

agreed X, it just wasn't the non national titles it was the way we lost and the way he acted in his tenure, if we compete for the big 12 title every year I will be happy and I give the next coach 2 years of free passes but the talent is there and they could run most offenses but there is always some turmoil with a coaching change. Plus the new coach will probably be able to save this recuiriting class and get some guys back and new guys because he will probably be coming pretty soon.

As others have said, it's not about national titles. If the team did not have one of the worst meltdowns in college football history, Callahan would not have been fired. Lots of people would have been bitching, but he'd still be here.

Five or six years is a good amount of time to see what a coach is going to do, barring something ridiculous like Nebraska this season.

Teacher

You just don't get it do you? It's not the amount of NC's or how soon. It's how you play the game. It took TO 20+ years to win a NC. If we continue to let teams like KU or CU put 60+ points up on us, then we should all get very nervous. Defense wins championships. The CU game proved that shootouts are stupid and belong in the WAC. This is the Big 12. I'm sad to say, but whoever wins between Mizzou and KU is more than likely going to lose to OU. If we see meltdowns like we have over the Clownahan era, I think we'll all be a little nervous.

I think it depends on who you hire. If you get a coach like Rich Rodriguez or Urban Meyer I think you expect more from them because they are already established coaches. Some one who has never been a head coach or is from a small college will probably be given more time. I think a minimum of 4 years and a max of 6. It will also depend on what has been happening in those years. If he starts out 12-1 next year expectations will soar for the future. If he starts a little slower, say 7-5 next year and then 8-4 or 9-3 the next he will be given more time. But he would have to continue to go at least 9-3 or better or there will be moaning. Also not get blown out every loss. I think if a coach goes 5-7 and loses all 3 games by 5 points or less there would be a lot less complaining then getting beat by 20-30 points every loss.

There are more factors then just playing for conference or national championships. Like being competitive.

Teacher

Teacher, its not about national championships, i dont think husker fans demand that every year or every other year. What husker fans want is for us to be competitive, for the big 12 title, Not loose every top 15 team, never have a marquee win, umm i can go on but if you want to know what husker fans dont want just see the callahan years.