So, how many years is realistic?

Teacher

No matter who comes in we have to give him some time. But, no we are not looking for a national championship right away. I am looking for a 9 win season next year, and to consistently be in contention for the Big 12 title and a BCS bowl. I am optimistic but these are expectations as Husker fans we should have. i am excited for the future and ready to dominate once again.

OK, you guys are going to be getting a new coach (again). So, how many years will you give the new guy to produce a national championship team before you want his head? Any number lower than 5 is unrealistic. What's the deal? How long will the new guy get?

Teacher

fierce in our losses

X

That's what I took from TO's press conference. It isn't just about W and L. It how you win and how you lose. No one wants any more losing seasons.

As far as how long? I ain't jumping on that issue cuz the fact is, it's an unanswereable question when you factor in how well they play in a loss. But it could be for a long time. As TO said, change is hard and expensive. It is disruptive and makes recovery all the more difficult. I think BC got more than a fair shot. But that's just my opinion. If his teams had been mroe competitive this year, he probably would not have been fired. For how many years did TO suffer the ignominy of being the coach that choked on the big one? He stuck around for over 20 years without the BIG win because his teams were, by and large, always very competitive. So, if they put together a team that doesn't suffer 20 30 or 40 point losses and doesnt' have losing seasons, chances are it will be quite a while.

I'm impressed with how many Husker fans get it.

It's not just about Wins and Ties..er...Losses.

I'll go you one better (Or Worse).

Even if Callahan won 10 games this year or got us to a MNC, I'd still like to see him move on.

We lost our Identity..The thing that separated us from the OU's, The Miami's, just about anyone else.

We were known for taking small town Nebraska kids, some playing 8-man FB in Highschool..Players that were well below anybody's radar..Taking them and beating the snot out of teams that won the recruiting wars.

It's almost like we became the teams we used to beat up on.

MNC's are so dependant on LUCK..Anyone who grew up watching the Osborne teams learned to appreciate consistency.

All we want is a team that plays hard, is competitive and doesn't give up.

Right!

And lets say a guy goes 0-12 in his first two seasons, want to give him another 3-4 seasons to see if he can right the ship?

It's silly to talk about a specific time frame, you look at things season by season and the trend of how things were done.

I'm impressed with how many Husker fans get it.

It's not just about Wins and Ties..er...Losses.

I'll go you one better (Or Worse).

Even if Callahan won 10 games this year or got us to a MNC, I'd still like to see him move on.

We lost our Identity..The thing that separated us from the OU's, The Miami's, just about anyone else.

We were known for taking small town Nebraska kids, some playing 8-man FB in Highschool..Players that were well below anybody's radar..Taking them and beating the snot out of teams that won the recruiting wars.

It's almost like we became the teams we used to beat up on.

MNC's are so dependant on LUCK..Anyone who grew up watching the Osborne teams learned to appreciate consistency.

like TO said, other teams hated playing us because they still felt the results 2 weeks later.

i miss that part the most....totaling beating the living sh#t out of the other guys, total physcial domination.

No matter who comes in we have to give him some time. But, no we are not looking for a national championship right away. I am looking for a 9 win season next year, and to consistently be in contention for the Big 12 title and a BCS bowl. I am optimistic but these are expectations as Husker fans we should have. i am excited for the future and ready to dominate once again.

7 or 8 wins next year would have to be acceptable and no major blow outs. it will take all spring and summer to teach the defense how to get off blocks, tackle and be aggressive. a retooled offense will not come easy either, but as all have said, we have some players, time to bring in some coaches.

If we do not win a NC during the new guys tenure after 10 years, I would not be so upset or fire happy. As long as this happens:

9-2, 10-1, 8-3, year after year and build up the program with integrity, toughness, character, and intimidation for any team that schedules NU.

Bring in some pride. A ton of it. And get back in the top 10 each year and owning the Big 12 before ever thinking championship.

7-4 is too close to 6-5. If that happens, then I will get concerned. I want a football team with tough gutsy football players. Not a product or a system. Or smoke in mirrors. Any loss needs to be close and competitive. I want the Huskers and the coach to tip their helmets to the other team, give them praise, and then say "we'll get 'em next year", then work at it, and then do it.

OK, you guys are going to be getting a new coach (again). So, how many years will you give the new guy to produce a national championship team before you want his head? Any number lower than 5 is unrealistic. What's the deal? How long will the new guy get?

Teacher

For a MNC??

Maybe more than a DECADE.

Two examples from the B12-- NO MNC yet.

Mangino has had SIX years so far-

Mangino's record as HC at KU

2002 Kansas 2–10

2003 Kansas 6–7

2004 Kansas 4–7

2005 Kansas 7–5

2006 Kansas 6–6

As of 2006, Mangino was 25-35

2007- Kansas 11–1

Now Mangino's record as HC at KU is 36–36 overall

Pinkel has had SEVEN years so far-

Pinkel's record at Missouri.

2001 Missouri 4-7

2002 Missouri 5-7

2003 Missouri 8-5

2004 Missouri 5-6

2005 Missouri 7-5

2006 Missouri 8-5

As of 2006, Pinkel was 37-35 overall

2007 Missouri 11-1

Both coaches survived fan demands for their firing. Neither would have lasted longer than Cally.