Biggest Need

FormerFan, you need to understand that we did not have the quality of offensive lineman to run the WCO this year. It was important that we get guys that could pass block as well as run block. The guys that we moved over to offense from defense were offensive lineman in high school and ran some sort of a passing offense that needed them to pass block. You are right that it hurt our depth along the d-line but I don't think that those players that moved over to offense were going to help out our pass rush all that much on defense.

I doubt laurel concord ran to much of a passing offense where seppo did alot of pass blocking.

He might not of, but he was probally better than quite a few of our other lineman at pass blocking.

FormerFan, you need to understand that we did not have the quality of offensive lineman to run the WCO this year. It was important that we get guys that could pass block as well as run block. The guys that we moved over to offense from defense were offensive lineman in high school and ran some sort of a passing offense that needed them to pass block. You are right that it hurt our depth along the d-line but I don't think that those players that moved over to offense were going to help out our pass rush all that much on defense.

I doubt laurel concord ran to much of a passing offense where seppo did alot of pass blocking.

He might not of, but he was probally better than quite a few of our other lineman at pass blocking.

Pretty good at jumping offsides. Seppo did ok though. I think he could of been just as effective on defense though, if he could stay healthy.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if you take all of your quality depth at one position (d-line) and move it to another area (o-line), your strength just became a weakness. But I guess that the offensive genius, the guru, the greatest, the end-all be-all callahan couldn’t quite figure that one out.

So if they wouldn't of moved the three guys to the o-line our d-line would of been one of our strengths. :wacko: I will say it again those three probably wouldn't of got much PT at DL. It is not like they would of even been on the 2-deep.

Better coaches.

We had a pretty good team of returning players this year, am I right? Aside from the fact that no one really knew how Dailey would fare once he became the starter and a few other things, I thought our future was looking up.

We need a better game plan. Running on 3rd and long, and throwing the ball when your trying to run the clock out is just plain dumb. I've never coached, but that's just common sense. When you're winning, with less than 5 minutes to go, you run the ball.

If you think i'm bashing coaches, then tough. I want a coach that is able to think, adapt, and adjust on the fly, not just keep doing the same thing that isn't working. That's one of the coaches important attributes, is the ability to adjust to changing situations.

Better coaches.

We had a pretty good team of returning players this year, am I right? Aside from the fact that no one really knew how Dailey would fare once he became the starter and a few other things, I thought our future was looking up.

We need a better game plan. Running on 3rd and long, and throwing the ball when your trying to run the clock out is just plain dumb. I've never coached, but that's just common sense. When you're winning, with less than 5 minutes to go, you run the ball.

If you think i'm bashing coaches, then tough. I want a coach that is able to think, adapt, and adjust on the fly, not just keep doing the same thing that isn't working. That's one of the coaches important attributes, is the ability to adjust to changing situations.

Sigh...

Let's try this again:

"And we all know that there's a sizable faction of the board who thinks our most pressing need is coaching - but that's not going to happen. So, putting those two aside - what's NU's biggest need?"

The coaches aren't going. Hence, the statement "putting those...aside...".

No need to re-read it. You are positing either that Callahan must learn to coach better, or that we need new coaches. However, the first option can’t be what you meant, as you have stated variations of the following time and again:

Originally posted by walksalone on November 26, 2004, at 3:48 p.m., in the “Welcome to the Callahan era” in the Open Topics forum

AMEN!!!!!!!

He just can't coach...

What was his gameplan? Let them lead by 13, then we'll make a furious charge in the end, just to come up short.

He needs to be run out of town on a rail. If I had the money, i'd be putting up the for sale sign on his house tomorrow...

Since he “just can’t coach” in your opinion, which negates any possibility of his coaching better than he has, the only other option is new coaches. Try again.