Biggest Need

I think everyone can agree that we need help at quarterback - either new blood or Dailey to suddenly have that "I coulda had a V8!" moment when the light goes on. So let's forget quarterback for a moment. And we all know that there's a sizable faction of the board who thinks our most pressing need is coaching - but that's not going to happen. So, putting those two aside - what's NU's biggest need? Not who we're recruiting, necessarily, but what area above all others needs an infusion of talent or for current players to really step it up - and why?

Me - I think defensive line. On offense, the line is solid, if not spectacular; it certainly performed better than expected, IMO. Running back - we seem to be in great shape. Receivers...while a Randy Moss-type guy would be great, I think that we can win with what we have.

That leaves defense. And given that NU's scheme seems to rely on the front four making a push, I see that as the major area of need. If they can get the push, it helps both the linebackers and the defensive backs. Yeah, we didn't blitz much - but I think that's the scheme or intent. Which means, to me, that what we need more than anything else are some animals on the defensive line that live to kill the quarterback, and can put pressure on him without the need of a blitz.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks is the most pressing need.

In this offense, the QB needs to play well. Most of the offensive success, as in a lot of offenses, hinges on the QB. That is the single biggest need on the offensive side of the ball. Also, we need better performance at WR. Not every ball is going to be thrown perfectly and we need our guys to lay out and go up and get the ball sometimes. I have seen this a couple times this year, but not near enough. If Nunn keeps progressing as he has this year, I expect some big things out of him.

On the defense, you hit the nail on the head. The front four HAVE to be able to get pressure on the QB consistently in Cosgrove's schemes. At least that's the way it seems. That didn't even come close to happening. We also need to play man defense better in the secondary. A saftey who can deliver a blow when needed wouldn't hurt either.

In my opinion, we simply need a lot of HEART! It's not that the players we have aren't good enough or gifted enough in some/most cases, but they just aren't playing with any heart. Also, they need some confidence. If this team this year would have had those two things alone, we'd be going to a bowl game and would have been representing the Big 12 North.

It's too difficult to say what the needs on offense are as the offense played so sparatic this year. It all starts with the QB, but that isn't what you are looking for in this thread. At RB, it appears as though we are going to have way too many. Some of them are going to have to move to another position. This looks like it could be an area of having too many roosters in the hen house which could cause a lot of friction next year. Time will tell. As far as receivers, I would like to see at least one game breaker. A Roy Williams type receiver plus another decent receiver and TE who can take some of the pressure off. The OL appears to be okay. I mean we did rush pretty effectively against OU.

The defense needs an extremem makeover. No offense to the LB's we have now, but we need some barn burners back there. We need a lot of speed in a lot of areas on defense. The Bullocks brothers will be fine, but we need some others to go along with them. The DL needs to be more physical, and they need to be quicker.

The one point that I would like to emphasize is that all these recruits coming in while they may be great will be TRUE FRESHMEN! I don't think we can expect the program to do a 180 next year or the year after. We will struggle again next year especially if we have a true freshman at QB. It's more than likely going to be year 4 for BC before we can expect any kind of title run whether it be Big 12 or NC!

The one point that I would like to emphasize is that all these recruits coming in while they may be great will be TRUE FRESHMEN! I don't think we can expect the program to do a 180 next year or the year after. We will struggle again next year especially if we have a true freshman at QB. It's more than likely going to be year 4 for BC before we can expect any kind of title run whether it be Big 12 or NC!

Absolutely. I expect a better year next year, but I don't expect a 11-0 season by far. We may have a couple true freshman come out an make an impact, but we should see more of them in a couple years. Hopefully they will take a redshirt if applicable.

We need some DE like we had in the 90's. Speed at the OLB spot is key also. Look at the difference that D. Williams and Hollowell made. A good cover corner to take some of the stress off Fabian. Lornell blew big time.

Offense we need agame breaker kind of like Reggie Bush. Someone that kind lineup anywhere and at any moment take it to the house. A kicker and punt returner wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, a punt returner! Defensive ends that actually get to the quarterback. Some quick outside linebackers would be good too. As far as the offense goes, the line needs some help and I think it is on the way. We also need a playmaker, at receiver, running back, whatever.

By far the place where we need the most help is in the COACHING staff. With the loss of the only good, successful coach, what are they gonna do now?

I wonder who the next re-tread malcontent loser will be that callahan brings in? It just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

We would have had plenty of talent on the d-line if bill the Idiot didnt raid it for the benefit of the Worst Coast Offense. Just more great coaching by his band of merry morons.

We would have had plenty of talent on the d-line if bill the Idiot didnt raid it for the benefit of the Worst Coast Offense. Just more great coaching by his band of merry morons.

Moving three guys to the offensive side of the ball and having one of them turn out to be the best tackle on the team was stupid? Sorry I don't agree with you on that one. The three they moved probably wouldn't of played if they stayed on defense.

It's more than likely going to be year 4 for BC before we can expect any kind of title run whether it be Big 12 or NC!

I wouldnt be looking forward to good results come year 4 of the "Reign of bill the Idiot", either. Have you seen the schedule that year?? It will probably be another year plagued by turnovers, lack of motivation, lack of special teams play, lack of defense, blowout losses, and lack of coaching.

Im sure there will be many, many, many more excuses and places to lay the blame as to why the team is stumbling and bumbling to another losing season.

Moving three guys to the offensive side of the ball and having one of them turn out to be the best tackle on the team was stupid? Sorry I don't agree with you on that one. The three they moved probably wouldn't of played if they stayed on defense.

Gee, didn’t I recently hear "cosgrove the Magnificent (loser)" and bill the Idiot say that we need to recruit much more depth on the D line? Then they move Muy (who should be an O-lineman) to D? What’s up with that?

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that if you take all of your quality depth at one position (d-line) and move it to another area (o-line), your strength just became a weakness. But I guess that the offensive genius, the guru, the greatest, the end-all be-all callahan couldn’t quite figure that one out.

Is it any wonder why NU went 5-6?

FormerFan, you need to understand that we did not have the quality of offensive lineman to run the WCO this year. It was important that we get guys that could pass block as well as run block. The guys that we moved over to offense from defense were offensive lineman in high school and ran some sort of a passing offense that needed them to pass block. You are right that it hurt our depth along the d-line but I don't think that those players that moved over to offense were going to help out our pass rush all that much on defense.

Yes, a punt returner! Defensive ends that actually get to the quarterback. Some quick outside linebackers would be good too. As far as the offense goes, the line needs some help and I think it is on the way. We also need a playmaker, at receiver, running back, whatever.

We have plenty of good punt returners on the team, we just have to get the coach to let them do it instead of santino.

FormerFan, you need to understand that we did not have the quality of offensive lineman to run the WCO this year. It was important that we get guys that could pass block as well as run block. The guys that we moved over to offense from defense were offensive lineman in high school and ran some sort of a passing offense that needed them to pass block. You are right that it hurt our depth along the d-line but I don't think that those players that moved over to offense were going to help out our pass rush all that much on defense.

I doubt laurel concord ran to much of a passing offense where seppo did alot of pass blocking.