If you like Paul Johnson, you don't understand football

Ummm did you know that Paul Johnson designs his offense around his players and at Hawaii as their OC they were more of a passing team and as HC at Navy they had players who were more about the run.

I was pretty sure that Hawaii used a strong running attack when Johnson was there and they were known as a running school until he left. Gotta remeber that when June(sp?) Jones came in he revamped the offense to a spread. So Johnson doesn't design his offense around his players, he just recruits the ones that can play in it.

so it doesn't take athletes to run triple option?

It takes a different type of player. If you watched any games the last few days you would have seen that the QB's who pass successfully need height to see over the other players. If there is a height limit at Navy, and would have to be because of subs.

I have not really been a fan of Johnson, but reading here, I have to say he sounds like he is adaptable, and that is important. I also know we need a stronger defense (and faster), I wonder what Johnson's background is on the defense?

Not to be overlooked is the defense, which made a dramatic improvement thanks to improved speed and the switch to a 3-4 defense. The Mids' most significant improvement came against the pass, as Navy ranked 14th in the country (180.23 yards per game) after ranking 61st in 2002. The defense also made major improvements in pass efficiency defense (from 116th to 42nd), total defense (100th to 42nd) and scoring defense (108th to 34th). Johnson was recognized nationally for his coaching performance, as he was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award, the Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year Award and the Associated Press Coach of the Year Award.

Also...

Johnson was Navy's offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 and his spread offense made an immediate impact, breaking five school records during the Mids' five-win season in 1995, equaling the most wins by a Navy team since 1990.

and finally...

Prior to joining the Navy staff, Johnson spent eight seasons as the offensive coordinator at the University of Hawai'i (1987-94). He helped guide the Rainbows to their first Western Athletic Conference title and their first bowl appearance coordinating an explosive offense that broke or equaled over 160 school records.

While at Hawai'i, Johnson developed a successful offensive unit which earned top-20 I-A statistical rankings in scoring offense, total offense and rushing offense during six of his eight seasons. He earned Top Offensive Coach honors in the WAC and was named one of the top-10 assistant coaches in the country by The Sporting News.

There is no doubt that the guy is a proven winner where ever he goes!

It's not that Paul Johnson runs out of the flexbone formation and triple option all the time, but it's those last three words, "ALL THE TIME". If you're philosophy is 80 to 90% run orientated, it's a recipe for failure. As great as you can become, unless you have Tommie Frazier or Tom Brady(if it's passing), a good defense can and will stop you. Balance on offense is the key to winning the big important games.

If you remember correctly, the "Big Red Machine" of the early 80's was a more balanced offense, 65-35 or even less. So don't say Osborne ran all the time, the 90's were different because of Frazier.

Am do a little reasearch before you start insulting our intelligence by saying that "we don't understand football if we like Paul Johnson". The guy was the OC at Hawaii. Yes Hawaii. The college who is known for AIRING IT OUT. Yes that same Paul Johnson. Did Hawaii run the triple option there?? Hmmmm? That's what I thought! He uses what resources he has and inturn makes them work!

Umm, do a little research yourself before insulting someone. Hawaii (yes the one that AIRS IT OUT now) didn't use to run the spread the offense. They ran the ball, a lot, and you guessed it, Paul Johnson was the OC. They might not have ran the triple option, but they by no means through the ball every single play.

if it seemed like i insulted your intelligence, it was a bad way to get people to respond. or was it good? either way, you did and you're helping my questions get answered, so thank you.

I would really love it if Watson stayed, or we got Gill or a great OC who works with Spread to work under Pelini.

top 5 candidates.

1. Pelini

2. Gill

3. Kelly

4. Muschamp

5. Edsall

It's not that Paul Johnson runs out of the flexbone formation and triple option all the time, but it's those last three words, "ALL THE TIME". If you're philosophy is 80 to 90% run orientated, it's a recipe for failure. As great as you can become, unless you have Tommie Frazier or Tom Brady(if it's passing), a good defense can and will stop you. Balance on offense is the key to winning the big important games.

If you remember correctly, the "Big Red Machine" of the early 80's was a more balanced offense, 65-35 or even less. So don't say Osborne ran all the time, the 90's were different because of Frazier.

Am do a little reasearch before you start insulting our intelligence by saying that "we don't understand football if we like Paul Johnson". The guy was the OC at Hawaii. Yes Hawaii. The college who is known for AIRING IT OUT. Yes that same Paul Johnson. Did Hawaii run the triple option there?? Hmmmm? That's what I thought! He uses what resources he has and inturn makes them work!

Umm, do a little research yourself before insulting someone. Hawaii (yes the one that AIRS IT OUT now) didn't use to run the spread the offense. They ran the ball, a lot, and you guessed it, Paul Johnson was the OC. They might not have ran the triple option, but they by no means through the ball every single play.

So you are saying that Johnson never ran the spread offense at Navy or at Hawaii? I beg to differ and I quote "Johnson was Navy's offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 and his spread offense made an immediate impact, breaking five school records during the Mids' five-win season in 1995, equaling the most wins by a Navy team since 1990. " How about this little gem I found as well "Navy came back in year two under Johnson and exploded, posting a 9-3 record, including a 42-38 victory over California in the Aloha Bowl. It was Navy's first winning season since 1982 and one of only two winning seasons the Mids had during a 19-year span (the other being in 1997 when Navy went 7-4 running the spread offense under the direction of Johnson protégé Ken Niumatalolo)."

if it seemed like i insulted your intelligence, it was a bad way to get people to respond. or was it good? either way, you did and you're helping my questions get answered, so thank you.

I would really love it if Watson stayed, or we got Gill or a great OC who works with Spread to work under Pelini.

top 5 candidates.

1. Pelini

2. Gill

3. Kelly

4. Muschamp

5. Edsall

I understand, it's hard at times to actually take someone's content when it's posted on a message board.

top 5 candidates.

1. Pelini

2. Gill

3. Kelly

4. Muschamp

5. Edsall

I understand, it's hard at times to actually take someone's content when it's posted on a message board.

just don't take it to seriously. i know for A FACT THAT WE AS HUSKER FANS ARE THE SMARTEST FANS OUT THERE!

what kind of philosophy did Bob Devaney have when he started? was he an offensive or a defensive guy?

top 5 candidates.

1. Pelini

2. Gill

3. Kelly

4. Muschamp

5. Edsall

just don't take it to seriously. i know for A FACT THAT WE AS HUSKER FANS ARE THE SMARTEST FANS OUT THERE!

what kind of philosophy did Bob Devaney have when he started? was he an offensive or a defensive guy?

Whoa now on that I haven't a clue! All I know is he was a guy who crapped thunder and spit lighting! I have a uncle who played under Devaney and he always said that Coach Devaney was a fierce and intense guy!

So you are saying that Johnson never ran the spread offense at Navy or at Hawaii? I beg to differ and I quote "Johnson was Navy's offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 and his spread offense made an immediate impact, breaking five school records during the Mids' five-win season in 1995, equaling the most wins by a Navy team since 1990. " How about this little gem I found as well "Navy came back in year two under Johnson and exploded, posting a 9-3 record, including a 42-38 victory over California in the Aloha Bowl. It was Navy's first winning season since 1982 and one of only two winning seasons the Mids had during a 19-year span (the other being in 1997 when Navy went 7-4 running the spread offense under the direction of Johnson protégé Ken Niumatalolo)."

I don't think I ever said "he never ran the spread" in his career as a coach, but I know he hardly passed the ball. And as for your quote about the spread offense, I'm not sure why they used "spread" to describe the attack, but here are that stats for the 1996 season (and I'm qutoing):

"Navy finished the '96 season ranked fifth nationally in rushing offense (283.6 yards per game), 31st in total offense (407.7 yards per game) and 22nd in scoring offense (31.8 points per game). Quarterback Chris McCoy rushed for 1,228 yards and a school-record 16 rushing touchdowns, while fullback Omar Nelson rushed for 857 yards."

I've never seen a fullback (does the spread offense use one?) with that many rushing yards in a season in a spread attack.

I don't think I ever said "he never ran the spread" in his career as a coach, but I know he hardly passed the ball. And as for your quote about the spread offense, I'm not sure why they used "spread" to describe the attack, but here are that stats for the 1996 season (and I'm qutoing):

"Navy finished the '96 season ranked fifth nationally in rushing offense (283.6 yards per game), 31st in total offense (407.7 yards per game) and 22nd in scoring offense (31.8 points per game). Quarterback Chris McCoy rushed for 1,228 yards and a school-record 16 rushing touchdowns, while fullback Omar Nelson rushed for 857 yards."

I've never seen a fullback (does the spread offense use one?) with that many rushing yards in a season in a spread attack.

Dunno just reading what I find about Johnson. :dunno

well, if you remember correctly, it took a season and a half for the West Coast offense to start clicking, coming out of a triple option system. What happens if we go back a step to that?

by now it should be obvious, clownahan misused more talent in 4 years at NU than any good coach should have to work with. he forced people into his system, like asking a plumber to do brain surgery....

this guy would build a system around his skill guys, as it would give him the best results. i agree, the guy is pretty smart and pretty good at getting a lot from less talent than we currently have at NU.

I want a coach who will bring back the smash mouth, you are gonna HURT for a week or two defense. Give us that and any reasonable offense will work. I remember when the opponent was so worn out by the fourth quarter that they did not have what it took to mount a comeback. That was fun to watch and listen to.

:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore:restore

honestly, part of that was a conditoning program that no one else had or understood. today, everyone has access to a great conditioning program, you just have to have somone smart enough to enforce it and take it to the next level. we need help here too.

He HAS to run out of the Flexbone or triple option ALL OF THE TIME! This is a coach that understands. You are dealing with a service academy that has standards, weight standards. If Navy ran out of any type of formation or offense, they wouldn't have chance against teams that out-weight them by almost two times. Maybe you should do some research and actually listen to interviews on a subject before you say someone else doesn't understand football if we like paul johnson.