If you like Paul Johnson, you don't understand football

It's not that Paul Johnson runs out of the flexbone formation and triple option all the time, but it's those last three words, "ALL THE TIME". If you're philosophy is 80 to 90% run orientated, it's a recipe for failure. As great as you can become, unless you have Tommie Frazier or Tom Brady(if it's passing), a good defense can and will stop you. Balance on offense is the key to winning the big important games.

If you remember correctly, the "Big Red Machine" of the early 80's was a more balanced offense, 65-35 or even less. So don't say Osborne ran all the time, the 90's were different because of Frazier.

It's not that Paul Johnson runs out of the flexbone formation and triple option all the time, but it's those last three words, "ALL THE TIME". If you're philosophy is 80 to 90% run orientated, it's a recipe for failure. As great as you can become, unless you have Tommie Frazier or Tom Brady(if it's passing), a good defense can and will stop you. Balance on offense is the key to winning the big important games.

If you remember correctly, the "Big Red Machine" of the early 80's was a more balanced offense, 65-35 or even less. So don't say Osborne ran all the time, the 90's were different because of Frazier.

Who was the QB running that balanced offense in the early 80's? Ohh yea...

Paul johnson is forced to run that offense with the athletes he is forced to recruit to Navy because it is the best shot that team has to win at that school. No great dual threat QB's or great WR will go there, and not because it's Navy but also because he can not recruit anyone over 6'3" and has high academic and disciplinary standards. Now he wasn't an option ALL THE TIME coach when he was OC at Hawaii and HC at Georgia Southern where they could recruit the better athlete. So before you start saying that no one has an idea about football if they want Johnson you better take into consideration what he has done in the past and why he runs the offense he does at Navy.

everything with Frazier and after, gave Osborne the opportunity to more running of the football, especially triple and power options. after Frazier's time, Frost was enough of an athlete to carry it on, but of course not to that degree, but what made the heavy run style easy were the offensive line and backs like ahman green and joel mackovicka.

and of course, TO retired in '97.

Ummm did you know that Paul Johnson designs his offense around his players and at Hawaii as their OC they were more of a passing team and as HC at Navy they had players who were more about the run.

Yeah huskerjock is right, Paul Johnson only runs the option at Navy because of the lack of talent. If he came to NU he would probably run the spread like he did at Hawaii.

so it doesn't take athletes to run triple option?

Not the athletes it takes to run the spread offense with any efficiency. If he tried running that offense at NAvy his players would not be able to compete because they do not have the speed and athletic ability to play in that offense. A triple option that has 2 or 3 possible targets to go to in the backfield can neutralize a faster defense when your players aren't as fast.

Am do a little reasearch before you start insulting our intelligence by saying that "we don't understand football if we like Paul Johnson". The guy was the OC at Hawaii. Yes Hawaii. The college who is known for AIRING IT OUT. Yes that same Paul Johnson. Did Hawaii run the triple option there?? Hmmmm? That's what I thought! He uses what resources he has and inturn makes them work!

Ummm did you know that Paul Johnson designs his offense around his players and at Hawaii as their OC they were more of a passing team and as HC at Navy they had players who were more about the run.

Yeah huskerjock is right, Paul Johnson only runs the option at Navy because of the lack of talent. If he came to NU he would probably run the spread like he did at Hawaii.

Hey thanks huskers13. In the past 4-5 weeks I've been reading a lot about this guy and the more I read on him the more I want him. He'll be a great fit in this program and I try to tell my family about this guy but they have their other choices. If he is our next HC, it'll be interesting so see what type of offense that he'll run and if he'll hire a different DC.

so it doesn't take athletes to run triple option?

It takes a different type of player. If you watched any games the last few days you would have seen that the QB's who pass successfully need height to see over the other players. If there is a height limit at Navy, and would have to be because of subs.

I have not really been a fan of Johnson, but reading here, I have to say he sounds like he is adaptable, and that is important. I also know we need a stronger defense (and faster), I wonder what Johnson's background is on the defense?