Search Is On Fast Track

Ok so Pelini was interviewed first right.....don't you usually interview your number 1 choice right off the bat? But now theres this meeting coming tomorrow afternoon for the players and the 2007 seniors. Uhhh something sounds fishy here.

Not necessarily because they had to interview Bo in Baton Rouge since he's busy preparing for the SEC championship game. So it makes sense to stop off in Baton Rouge to interview Bo before flying on to Atlanta to conduct the remaining interviews. I don't think we should read TO's preference from the timeline.

I don't think "Courtesy Interviews" are a good idea...if you don't have any intention of hiring someone, then it don't work out with who you did hire, the one you gave the "courtesy interview" to may not even want to apply for the job again.

If you have in mind who you really want to hire, that is the person you want to talk to....then if they say something that raises flags, then you talk to someone else to compare them to.

It would piss me off to go some place for an interview then find out they had no intention of hiring me.

Courtesy...no, that is more like a "FU interview"

I think there's a specific number of people you have to interview due to this being an equal opportunity land grant university. I highly doubt TO makes anyone feel like they just had a "courtesy" interview. It's not his style.

I'm sure it sounds fast but remember that Osborne tapped a professional search agency in Atlanta to gather names of possibilities. Go look at the Baker-Parker Associates website (I believe they are two separate companies now) They are a super high profile company dealing with presidents, CEOs, coaches, deans, etc. They have unlimited sources to gather who would be interested, and get all information and sort that all out as to who "fits the bill the best." They are involved in the decision but do all of the grunt work. I believe Steve P chose to do all of this on his own. Osborne also said he had talked to this search firm previously. Who knows how long ago that was but they can work very quickly too.

It is far fetched to say Osborne already knew who the coach was going to be before he even went on this trip. Keep in mind during his interview he said that previous experience at NU was a definite plus...not an absolute must, but most likely a plus for the candidate.

Also remember that TO stated he hadn't talked to any coaches during the season, however that doesnt mean a search agency hadn't talked to possible candidates to find out their position. This in turn would give TO a short list of names that he could move quickly on.

We already know that someone has talked to possible candidates to find out their position because TO said so in his press conference.

I've been reading this stuff and took a couple of steps back to think about it.

Let's look at a few things that we know:

1. Osborne and Perlman left on a plane that went through Baton Rouge on the way to Atlanta. That confirms Pellini is one of the candidates.

2. Gill is a candidate due to his ties with Nebraska.

3. Nebraska is required to interview 4 or 5 (read it in other threads) including a minority candidate.

My thoughts. Top two are Gill and Pellini. TO probably doean't need much of an interview with Gill since they know each other so well. Pellini gets the in-depth interview in Atlanta.

Who are the other two or three? My bet is window-dressing to meet requirement. Monte Kiffen interviewing to do his old pal TO a favor. Craig Bohl would fit that bill as well and could be a phone interview.

That would clear the way for either Pellini or Gill to be named quickly. I like the both theory but doubt it would happen.

What do you think? I think I'm either on something or onto something!

SUPERBUNNY

This just in the plane that had just left Lincoln to Baton Rouge and thru Atlanta is on its way back to Lincoln and will meet the runway at 8:18 tonight.

I was waiting for someone to tell us about the return trip.

What minority is Craig Bohl? I was thinking more like Sylvester Croon.

Turner Gill doesn't fit the minority candidate? Of course he does...

1. Osborne and Perlman left on a plane that went through Baton Rouge on the way to Atlanta. That confirms Pellini is one of the candidates.

3. Nebraska is required to interview 4 or 5 (read it in other threads) including a minority candidate.

My thoughts. Top two are Gill and Pellini. TO probably doean't need much of an interview with Gill since they know each other so well. Pellini gets the in-depth interview in Atlanta.

Who are the other two or three? My bet is window-dressing to meet requirement. Monte Kiffen interviewing to do his old pal TO a favor. Craig Bohl would fit that bill as well and could be a phone interview.

That would clear the way for either Pellini or Gill to be named quickly. I like the both theory but doubt it would happen.

SUPERBUNNY

"

Let's hope TO is taking this thing a little more seriously than that. "I'll pick between 2 candidates and make equal opportunity people happy by screwing around with another 2 or 3." He has the chance to find the next great coach for Nebraska, I hope he is looking at this like a great opportunity and not just let's get this over with. He should let whoever is interested and he's interested in get the chance to blow him away in an interview. Otherwise we have the wrong guy looking again.

SUPERBUNNY

"

Let's hope TO is taking this thing a little more seriously than that. "I'll pick between 2 candidates and make equal opportunity people happy by screwing around with another 2 or 3." He has the chance to find the next great coach for Nebraska, I hope he is looking at this like a great opportunity and not just let's get this over with. He should let whoever is interested and he's interested in get the chance to blow him away in an interview. Otherwise we have the wrong guy looking again.

I hear what you are saying Captain K. I would say this, I'm the "head-hunter" firm in Atlanta is doing the leg work on a number of candidates. My point is that if TO has Bo and Gill as his top 2 than by doing what I suggested above it gives him the best opportunity for a quick hire. If one of those two isn't deemed to be the guy then they start down the list put together by the firm after TO reviews the list.

This path proves to me that TO is giving this search its due diligence all the while moving at a very quick pace!

SUPERBUNNY