BC cutting walk-on program

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Well he took us to a new level alright.

I believe that the walk on program was an incredible influence on the attitude and character of the program. To show out-state scholarship players how much it means just to have the opportunity to wear the scarlet and creame. BC couldn't figure this out and he lost the spirit and passion of his team and he lost his job.

Bad move, real bad move.

...T_O_B

It's been said many times on various forums that in the old days, the walk-ons were largely coached/managed by grad assistant coaches.

NCAA rules have limited these grad-assistants to FIVE from the TO days of TEN.

You may see more than 45-50 walk-ons at NU but you'll never see the same level of walk-ons as you used to.

the _________ (insert coach here) experiment has begun!

:bonez:bonez

I think it's a good thing. I can't understand why you would want 180 guys on your team. There were 120-125 guys on the roster this year. 85 are schollies. That means there are roughly 40-45 walk-ons.

How long have you been a Husker Fan? How can you not recognize the importance of the Walk-On program to Nebraska? This baffles me...

We have enough walkons right now, that's not the problem. The problem is the attitude the coaching staff apparently took towards those walkons.

Callahan lowering the number of walkons was not a problem.

Yes, it was.

...T_O_B

Nope, it wasn't. We have plenty of walkons, but the part they played as members of the team was severely diminished. That's the only real problem with the walkons.

I think it's a good thing. I can't understand why you would want 180 guys on your team. There were 120-125 guys on the roster this year. 85 are schollies. That means there are roughly 40-45 walk-ons.

The more guys you have...the more guys you can hit. The more guys you hit...the tougher you get.

Makes perfect sense to me.

:yeah

My biggest expectation for the new coach is that the Huskers be the hardest hitting team in the B12 every year.

We have enough walkons right now, that's not the problem. The problem is the attitude the coaching staff apparently took towards those walkons.

Yes, it was.

...T_O_B

Nope, it wasn't. We have plenty of walkons, but the part they played as members of the team was severely diminished. That's the only real problem with the walkons.

The Walk Ons brought a lot of intangibles with them. The smple desire and determination to be a Husker, to really be a student athlete. The passion of just wanting to be a Husker with nothing else in mind. No scholarship, no prospect of turning pro just wanting to be a Husker. This attitude permeated through out the Huskers of the last 30 years and that is way the program is so valuable.

...T_O_B

Yes, it was.

...T_O_B

The Walk Ons brought a lot of intangibles with them. The smple desire and determination to be a Husker, to really be a student athlete. The passion of just wanting to be a Husker with nothing else in mind. No scholarship, no prospect of turning pro just wanting to be a Husker. This attitude permeated through out the Huskers of the last 30 years and that is way the program is so valuable.

...T_O_B

Yeah, I couldn't have said it better myself. And that's why the number of walkons isn't a problem right now. There are enough. But when those walkons, no matter how many there are, are marginalized by the coaching staff, they aren't able to bring their intangibles to the table. This is what happened while Callahan was around.

Thank you for making my point for me!

The more guys you have...the more guys you can hit. The more guys you hit...the tougher you get.

Makes perfect sense to me.

BS. You don't need 180 guys to have physical practices. By that logic, the baseball team should have 20 pitchers so you can see every kind of pitch humanly possible.

Yes, it was.

...T_O_B

...T_O_B

Yeah, I couldn't have said it better myself. And that's why the number of walkons isn't a problem right now. There are enough. But when those walkons, no matter how many there are, are marginalized by the coaching staff, they aren't able to bring their intangibles to the table. This is what happened while Callahan was around.

Thank you for making my point for me!

The shear numbers are part of the equation.

Maybe if you watch the film "Rudy" you'll see the light.

...T_O_B