Mike & Mike in the Morning

MCAT800

Thanks for making my point.

Great rejoinder - that investment in Internet Debates for Dummies really paid off for you! :thumbs

So you prefer the passive-aggressive approach - don't bother going to the source, simply walk away. I suppose if that gets you through life, that's OK. Me, I'm going to get what I want, and I respect my own opinion enough to see that I do. If you think it's OK for someone to provide you with bad service, who am I to deny you?

Any of you guys catch it this morning??

Eric somebody filling in for the other Mike, not Golic called Husker football the girl at the bar who thinks she's a 10 but really is only a 7.

And he also stated something to the effect that NU isn't a good job.

I think you must have to hate NU to work for ESPN.

So? I'll take the 7 in the bar over the 10 any day. They put out a hell of a lot quicker, cost me a lot less money and they don't nag or complain afterwards.

Thanks for making my point.

Great rejoinder - that investment in Internet Debates for Dummies really paid off for you! :thumbs

So you prefer the passive-aggressive approach - don't bother going to the source, simply walk away. I suppose if that gets you through life, that's OK. Me, I'm going to get what I want, and I respect my own opinion enough to see that I do. If you think it's OK for someone to provide you with bad service, who am I to deny you?

Maybe you can get a free meal if you complain enough. Maybe you can even get a refund on that lemon of a car. But you are not going to march into Bristol and demand better sports coverage.

You can achieve infinitely more by simply changing the channel, and encouraging others to do the same. The same way you can improve the quality of the food at a restaurant. Don't go back and tell others not to go either. They'll either go out of business or realize they have to do things differently. That will have a much larger impact than you getting in an argument with a manager.

It's not being OK with bad service, it's recognizing the most effective way to get better service. If you want to waste your time beating your head against the wall and stressing yourself out complaining, who am I to deny you?

Maybe you can get a free meal if you complain enough. Maybe you can even get a refund on that lemon of a car. But you are not going to march into Bristol and demand better sports coverage.

You can achieve infinitely more by simply changing the channel, and encouraging others to do the same. The same way you can improve the quality of the food at a restaurant. Don't go back and tell others not to go either. They'll either go out of business or realize they have to do things differently. That will have a much larger impact than you getting in an argument with a manager.

It's not being OK with bad service, it's recognizing the most effective way to get better service. If you want to waste your time beating your head against the wall and stressing yourself out complaining, who am I to deny you?

It's not about getting a free meal, or getting a refund. It's about getting what you paid for. Pure and simple. They say they offer Product X, so I go to purchase/consume Product X. But if Product X isn't as advertised, that doesn't mean I simply go away, it means I demand that I receive what they promised to give. In the case of ESPN, they promise to provide the world's best sports news coverage. The problem is, they do not.

You have a very different approach to things than I. You prefer to stand back and hope that things get changed. I prefer to take action to see that the changes that need to be done actually get done. There's nothing wrong with being a passive person, that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that I believe that to get something done you go to the source.

The only thing is, your method is a very indirect way of getting the desired result. Imagine if TO had simply held a press conference announcing the coaching vacancy, then sat at his desk waiting for the phone to ring? That's what you're espousing here - indirect effect. Instead, TO has proactively contacted a search firm, then physically gotten out there and pounded the pavement to interview the coaches he wants. That's the method I advocate.

Again, there's nothing wrong with sitting back and hoping things change. It's just not likely to happen, or at least not for a very, very long time. If you are willing to do that, who am I to deny you?

See, you're simply not getting it. It's not about getting a free meal, or getting a refund. It's about getting what you paid for. Pure and simple. They say they offer Product X, so I go to purchase/consume Product X. But if Product X isn't as advertised, that doesn't mean I simply go away, it means I demand that I receive what they promised to give. In the case of ESPN, they promise to provide the world's best sports news coverage. The problem is, they do not.

You have a very different approach to things than I. You prefer to stand back and hope that things get changed. I prefer to take action to see that the changes that need to be done actually get done. There's nothing wrong with being a passive person, that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that I believe that to get something done you go to the source.

The only thing is, your method is a very indirect way of getting the desired result. Imagine if TO had simply held a press conference announcing the coaching vacancy, then sat at his desk waiting for the phone to ring? That's what you're espousing here - indirect effect. Instead, TO has proactively contacted a search firm, then physically gotten out there and pounded the pavement to interview the coaches he wants. That's the method I advocate.

Again, there's nothing wrong with sitting back and hoping things change. It's just not likely to happen, or at least not for a very, very long time. If you are willing to do that, who am I to deny you?

I'm not suggesting always being passive. If I get a steak and its undercooked I'll send it back and demand another. If someone sells me a lemon, I'll demand he pays for repairs or refunds my money.

The problem is, that doesn't guaruntee that "the changes that need to be done actually get done." They may get changed in this single case for me, but if you want to change the way those businesses operate generally, you need to change their calculation of how they make money.

The used car salesman is not any less likely to continue trying to cheat people because you caught him once. However, if in addition to forcing him to refund you, you stop buying things from him and tell others about how terrible he is, he'll have no choice but to change his behavior or go out of business.

I guess what I'm saying is its fine if you want to spend time complaining about ESPN, but the much more powerful way to really achieve change is to change the profit equation for them or any other company that depends on people buying their product. Just because it's less direct does not mean its less effective, which seems to be your assumption.

I guess what I'm saying is its fine if you want to spend time complaining about ESPN...

Thank you. All I've wanted this whole discussion was your permission to complain. I appreciate you allowing me the ability to air a gripe here on the boards. That's really very cool of you.

I bid you a good day. :)

I guess what I'm saying is its fine if you want to spend time complaining about ESPN...

Thank you. All I've wanted this whole discussion was your permission to complain. I appreciate you allowing me the ability to air a gripe here on the boards. That's really very cool of you.

I bid you a good day. :)

:lol:

Eric somebody filling in for the other Mike, not Golic called Husker football the girl at the bar who thinks she's a 10 but really is only a 7.

I saw that guy, I was like wtf.

NU is a powerhouse program, whoever said that obviously doesnt know sh**

so why do you think they are wrong. It is like going to the high school reunion. The girls that were hot in high school are now dog ugly. Same with Nebraska IMO, they used to be good, but now, not so much. why do you consider Nebraska to be the hot job. If you are not from Nebraska or graduated from there, why would you have the desire to be a part of the football program. Serious question

Let's put this on a curve-- There are about 120 teams (rounding for the sake of simplicity) which means that each 1 on the 1-10 scale represents 12 teams. Can you think of 36 - 47 Division I coaching jobs that are better than NU? I *know* that he just pulled an analogy out of his butt, but still... it's pretty crappy (and stupid) to put NU at the upper edge of the middle-of-the-road coaching jobs.

so why do you think they are wrong. It is like going to the high school reunion. The girls that were hot in high school are now dog ugly. Same with Nebraska IMO, they used to be good, but now, not so much. why do you consider Nebraska to be the hot job. If you are not from Nebraska or graduated from there, why would you have the desire to be a part of the football program. Serious question

What makes a football program great? You need a combination of great fans, great facilities, a university that supports the program, solid tradition, the chance of continuing excellence or of returning to former excellence and the ability to recruit the players you need, which is a result of the combination of the rest of that list.

Nebraska has every one of those factors. What we did not have for four years is an AD and a head coach who were able to take advantage of those factors.

Maybe a better question would be, why would you NOT want to be a part of the Nebraska football program?

"so why do you think they are wrong. It is like going to the high school reunion. The girls that were hot in high school are now dog ugly. Same with Nebraska IMO, they used to be good, but now, not so much. why do you consider Nebraska to be the hot job. If you are not from Nebraska or graduated from there, why would you have the desire to be a part of the football program. Serious question

That's like saying "who'd want to coach at Notre Dame?" cause they REALLY suck right now.

Great programs have tradition, history even if they've hit a bad patch. Every great program goes through it. This is just our first since the 60's.

Anyone whose worth his salt as a coach respects this program.