Schedule, Osborne, Pete Carroll

If you play 5-6 teams from a major conference, it looks a lot better than playing a 5-6 team from a conference like the sunbelt.

It looks better beating a team from a major conference. Why do you think Hawaii and Boise State don't get to play for the national title even though they go undefeated. Obviously it does matter if your victories come from certain conferences.

If you play 5-6 teams from a major conference, it looks a lot better than playing a 5-6 team from a conference like the sunbelt.

It looks better beating a team from a major conference. Why do you think Hawaii and Boise State don't get to play for the national title even though they go undefeated. Obviously it does matter if your victories come from certain conferences.

Come on, man - this is like taking remedial college football classes. Do you really not know why those teams are gigged because of their schedule? Really? OK, I'll spell it out for you...

The reason Hawaii and BSU don't get any support is that their entire conferences suck, not just their non-conference schedule. A Nebraska or an Ohio State can get by playing one or two patsies because conferences like the Big XII and the Big 10 are traditionally power conferences, so any deficiency in their non-conference schedule is going to be made up by their conference schedule.

Listen, like five posts ago I told you why major schools don't schedule nothing but "tough" opponents. If you don't want to listen that's your prerogative, but that's why they don't.

If you can't post a convincing argument on an Internet message board, how seriously do you think the athletic departments are taking your letters? If it makes you happy to send the letters then keep sending them. The reality is they're going to toss them immediately because what you propose is silly.

Nebraska schedule has always been under T.O.

1 great game

1 good team

1 easy team

Then T.O. always tried to get Nebraska in those Kick off Classics games that were against good teams from the year before. They don't allow those game anymore which ruined football in my opinion.

I'm under the impression that Pederson tried to make the OCS for Callahan easier, once he saw how he could'nt compete against good teams.

Look at Kansas schedule for the next couple of years and that is the ultimate in creampuff scheduling. What gets me is if any of the Major programs went through those schedule, it would be bought up as reason not to play for the National Chapionship, but because Kansas was a great story they overlooked it

I'm under the impression that Pederson tried to make the OCS for Callahan easier, once he saw how he could'nt compete against good teams.

I don't know about that. We've got some pretty good teams lined up for non-conference in the next few years, including home-and-homes against VA Tech, Washington and UCLA. Those aren't exactly terrible schools.

I don't know about that. We've got some pretty good teams lined up for non-conference in the next few years, including home-and-homes against VA Tech, Washington and UCLA. Those aren't exactly terrible schools.

I was talking about the last open spot they had and who they got. It was in the paper earlier this year, and I was like who?> Forget who the team was and not to sure what year. When Pederson scheduled those team he thought Callahan could handle them at the time.

Our non-conference schedule next season is:

San Jose State

New Mexico State

Viriginia Tech

Western Michigan

Maybe you're talking about Western Michigan? I remember what you're saying about the last team they announced being not so good. I remember thinking that too. Aside from VA Tech those are all easy wins (or damned well better be).

Did anyone else listen to Colin Cowherd's radio show this morning and he interviewed Pete Carroll and they were talking about schedules. Cowherd was ragging on Ohio States out of conference schedule again and talking about how USC doesn't play week teams.

Although USC does have some week teams in the past 9 years (Hawaii, BYU, Colorado State) I have to agree with Cowherd that at least that don't have teams like Utah State, Maine, Ball State, Western Illinois. Pete Carroll said that (not word for word) that you can pick your schedule and playing top teams builds a Champions mentality. I know they do have Idaho comming up and that some of those schools previously mentioned aren't champoinship contenders. But, look at their schedule the last nine years. They play Notre Dame, I know they stink they have made it to the BCS 2 out of the last 3 years. And you can say they didn't belong there but Notre Dame is still better than Maine, Ball State and Western Illinois. They also played teams like Nebraska, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas State, Auburn, Virginia Tech in the last 9 years.

Look at next years out of Conference schedule for Nebraska. (San Jose St. New Mexico State, Virginia Tech, and Western Mich) 3 out of 4 should not be on our schedule. If we want to be an elite program that includes playing legitimate teams.

So I am asking for HUSKER fans to write Osborne while he is A.D. to start adding better teams than the crap we are playing next year. For instance every year I send an email to Iowa and Nebraska saying we should play every year alternating home fields. It would be a great tradition to start. Iowa should drop Iowa State until they do something positive with that program. Think about it they are close together, Like most Nebraska fans I can't stand the Hawkeyes and all of my friends who are Hawkeye fans can't stand us. They are legitimate programs and more importantly they both play in a BCS conference. (I know it won't happen, but trying to put pressure on the A.D.)

At least we could play teams at the bottom end of other conferences instead of a bunch of Div I Wannabee's.

If we want to get back on top I think it is important to do a better job at scheduling. I know it is difficult to get top schools, but we don't always need to get the LSU, or USC's. I think that other schools like USC have done a better job at scheduling and that as fans we should put more pressure on the University to add better teams.

we arent an elite program. we are a rebuilding program. our schedule is fine. to me as long as you play a decent schedule you are fine. you dont have to play great teams week in and week out. out 90's teams didnt. to me being in the big 12, if you play one great non conference game(like usc this year VT next) and one good team(wake this year) that is enough. dont forget usc doesnt have to play in a conf title game and we will.

These schedules were set when we had a better record...we weren't in rebuilding mode. You can thank Peterson for some of these little nobodys being on the schedule. If the computers of the BCS are going to rank schools by strength of schedule, Ohio State should NOT be in 3rd place getting ready to back into the Championship game. I think the schools that play a tough schedule should get credit for that, and even if they have more than one loss should be considered at a higher level than a school that didn't play anyone.

The system is flawed!!!

I never said that we couldn't get into the title game. Look at my original post I am talking about holding are school to a higher standard when making a schedule

Do you see USC scheduling Maine or 3 Sun Belt conference teams a year?

Ucla is 6-5 going into a game with USC, Washington is 4-8 going into Hawaii. What happens if they don't get any better. Our Non conference schedule will be horrible. They make the schedule out so long in advance that you don't know how good they are going to be. USC scheduled Neb. when Neb. was winning 9 games. And now look.

When we have only one decent team out of conference it makes us look bad. What if there are multiple teams with the same record fighting for a BCS Bowl or a National Title? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that people are going to vote for the team with the harder schedule.

I don't even really how or why other teams handle their schedule. Fact is right now for the next 3 years it looks like we tried to get one good team powder puff the rest.

If your OK with scheduling weak teams to pad stats and get easy victories to protect ourselves for a national championship that is you. But, me I would rather try and schedule good quality apponents and let people know that we are not scared to powder puff our schedule with these crappy schools just so we can have a good record and show off.

I understand that you need a couple of easy games and money fillers. But right now we have one decent game in the next years (Vtech, UCLA, and Washington) and THREE cupcakes. Not ONE or TWO but THREE FROM SMALL CRAPPY CONFERENCES.

Decent teams with decent programs is all I am saying.

Like I said, keep writing your letters if it makes you happy. You're out of touch with the reality of modern college football and you'll be ignored, but apparently you're not interested in making sense, just talking.

If it makes you feel better, go look at the BCS top ten finishers for the last few years, and look at their non-conference schedules. When you find a team that has played two or three really tough teams from "acceptable" conferences, post their schedule here.

Our non-conference schedule next season is:

San Jose State

New Mexico State

Viriginia Tech

Western Michigan

Maybe you're talking about Western Michigan? I remember what you're saying about the last team they announced being not so good. I remember thinking that too. Aside from VA Tech those are all easy wins (or damned well better be).

Probably was Western Michigan. http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15891

Here you go USC 2006

Date Opponent Result/Time Record/Tickets TV

September 2 at Arkansas W 50-14 1-0 (0-0)

September 16 No. 19 Nebraska W 28-10 2-0 (0-0)

September 23 at Arizona W 20-3 3-0 (1-0)

September 30 at Washington State W 28-22 4-0 (2-0)

October 7 Washington W 26-20 5-0 (3-0)

October 14 Arizona State W 28-21 6-0 (4-0)

October 28 at Oregon State L 33-31 6-1 (4-1)

November 4 at Stanford W 42-0 7-1 (5-1)

November 11 No. 21 Oregon W 35-10 8-1 (6-1)

November 18 No. 17 California W 23-9 9-1 (7-1)

November 25 No. 6 Notre Dame W 44-24 10-1 (7-1)

December 2 at UCLA L 13-9 10-2 (7-2)

January 1 vs No. 8 Michigan W 32-18 11-2 (7-2)

3 Out of Conference games all with Good Teams

USC 2002

September 2 No. 22 Auburn W 24-17 1-0 (0-0)

September 14 at No. 14 Colorado W 40-3 2-0 (0-0)

September 21 at No. 6 Kansas State L 27-20 2-1 (0-0)

September 28 Oregon State W 22-0 3-1 (1-0)

October 5 at No. 7 Washington State L 30-27 3-2 (1-1)

October 12 California W 30-28 4-2 (2-1)

October 19 Washington W 41-21 5-2 (3-1)

October 26 at Oregon W 44-33 6-2 (4-1)

November 9 at Stanford W 49-17 7-2 (5-1)

November 16 Arizona State W 34-13 8-2 (6-1)

November 23 at UCLA W 52-21 9-2 (7-1)

November 30 No. 12 Notre Dame W 44-13 10-2 (7-1)

January 2 vs No. 3 Iowa W 38-17 11-2 (7-1)

4 out of conference games all from big conferences and all ranked

USC 2004

at Virginia Tech W 24-13 1-0 (0-0)

September 11 Colorado State W 49-0 2-0 (0-0)

September 18 at Brigham Young W 42-10 3-0 (0-0)

September 25 at Stanford W 31-28 4-0 (1-0)

October 9 No. 7 California W 23-17 5-0 (2-0)

October 16 No. 19 Arizona State W 45-7 6-0 (3-0)

October 23 Washington W 38-0 7-0 (4-0)

October 30 at Washington State W 42-12 8-0 (5-0)

November 6 at Oregon State W 28-20 9-0 (6-0)

November 13 Arizona W 49-9 10-0 (7-0)

November 27 Notre Dame W 41-10 11-0 (7-0)

December 4 at UCLA W 29-24 12-0 (8-0)

January 4 vs No. 3 Oklahoma W 55-19 13-0 (8-0)

USC 2005

September 3 at Hawaii W 63-17 1-0 (0-0)

September 17 Arkansas W 70-17 2-0 (0-0)

September 24 at No. 24 Oregon W 45-13 3-0 (1-0)

October 1 at No. 14 Arizona State W 38-28 4-0 (2-0)

October 8 Arizona W 42-21 5-0 (3-0)

October 15 at No. 9 Notre Dame W 34-31 6-0 (3-0) NBC

October 22 at Washington W 51-24 7-0 (4-0)

October 29 Washington State W 55-13 8-0 (5-0)

November 5 Stanford W 51-21 9-0 (6-0) TBS

November 12 at California W 35-10 10-0 (7-0)

November 19 No. 16 Fresno State W 50-42 11-0 (7-0)

December 3 No. 11 UCLA W 66-19 12-0 (8-0)

January 4 vs No. 1 Texas L 41-38 12-1 (8-0)

USC This Year

All three ended up easy games. But only Idaho was scheduled to be a cupcake. Nebraska and Notre Dame just ended up that way. They scheduled Nebraska when we were a 9 win team and as you know Notre Dame is always on their schedule and they generally have a good team.

September 1 Idaho W 38-10 1-0 (0-0)

September 15 at No. 14 Nebraska W 49-31 2-0 (0-0)

September 22 Washington State W 47-14 3-0 (1-0)

September 29 at Washington W 27-24 4-0 (2-0)

October 6 Stanford L 24-23 4-1 (2-1)

October 13 Arizona W 20-13 5-1 (3-1)

October 20 at Notre Dame W 38-0 6-1 (3-1) NBC

October 27 at No. 5 Oregon L 24-17 6-2 (3-2)

November 3 Oregon State W 24-3 7-2 (4-2)

November 10 at No. 24 California W 24-17 8-2 (5-2)

November 22 at No. 6 Arizona State W 44-24 9-2 (6-2)

December 1 UCLA 4:30 PM ET Tickets

And The Point of Scheduling out of major conferences is that you have a better chance of playing a ranked team when they actually play. We have Tennesee scheduled for 2017 that is ten years away. Who knows where each program is going to be at by then. But, there are better odds of Tennesse being respectable than Western Michigan.

I am sorry but I am not the type of person that would like to take the easy road to the National Title. Some one already did that remembert K-State.

If Missouri Loses what is everyone saying about Ohio State this year. They are going to play for the National Title but everyone outside of Ohio is calling BS because they didn't play anyone.

When Nebraska wins their next National Title I don't want questions.

This just shows the difference in programs. Pete Carroll even said that he wants every game to be a championship type game REAL Champions play anybody and that is the type of attitude that he has developed at USC.

I know that there are things for people to throw in cup cake games like teams backing out and what not but when you are playing four out of conference games asking for 2 good matchups isn't too much to ask for.

Schedules don't bother me as much as they used to..They're only useful when you need something to back you up and you're arguing with somebody from Mechicken or State Penn about past MNC's.

Funny, though..I was in Costco today and this guy was watching a replay of the Mich/App State game (final seconds) and asked me why they would even schedule a team like that..

I guess this is why I feel it was a mistake when the BCS stopped taking SOS (Strength Of Schedule) into consideration...Bringing it back would probably help things. (That, or not counting pre-season games like the NFL).

It would be interesting if Schedules weren't made out so far in advance..That way, Florida would be chomping at the bit for payback before we get good again.

It's great for us fans whenever we can get a USC at their prime or mebbie LSU this year on our schedule, but we also have to think about the coaches who are probably already having trouble keeping their hairlines intact..And try to keep their jobs that might be a little dependant on W/L records.

Come on, man - this is like taking remedial college football classes. Do you really not know why those teams are gigged because of their schedule? Really? OK, I'll spell it out for you...

The reason Hawaii and BSU don't get any support is that their entire conferences suck, not just their non-conference schedule. A Nebraska or an Ohio State can get by playing one or two patsies because conferences like the Big XII and the Big 10 are traditionally power conferences, so any deficiency in their non-conference schedule is going to be made up by their conference schedule.

Listen, like five posts ago I told you why major schools don't schedule nothing but "tough" opponents. If you don't want to listen that's your prerogative, but that's why they don't.

If you can't post a convincing argument on an Internet message board, how seriously do you think the athletic departments are taking your letters? If it makes you happy to send the letters then keep sending them. The reality is they're going to toss them immediately because what you propose is silly.

By the way the topic of this post wasn't to explain to me why we make the schedule the way we do. I already knew that. The point is I don't like it. Just because most major schools do their schedules one way doesn't make it right. Just like the University can do its schedule the way it wants but I am not going along with the sheep and aaccepting it. If you want to play an easy schedule don't worry about my post. I was just trying to get more support for building a stronger out of conference schedule and try to get people to tell the new A.D. that this is one of the changes we would like to see with the program.