For all the naysayers who say NU are has beens

:wtf

What about USC, OU and PSU --- all pronounced dead by these same "has beens" a few short years ago...

The time to get negative is before you implode and fire your coach, not after the fact. Esp if you're about to bring on a very good coach/staff to replace him ? After a ledgedary Coach like TO is on the case ?... Every pogram wanders the deserts for a while.... Gimme a break -- we'll get it right....

I can't wait to see NU go back to being physical again and beating these moron's favorite teams into pulp..

Most of these people talk out of their rears. Just had a guy on 1620 the zone telling the host that Nebraska can no longer take the players like Frazier's of the world out of Florida or California. Then the host bought up the fact that Marlon Lucky came from California and Beck from Florida. Sometimes you wonder if they ever do any research before spouting off.

Most of these people talk out of their rears. Just had a guy on 1620 the zone telling the host that Nebraska can no longer take the players like Frazier's of the world out of Florida or California. Then the host bought up the fact that Marlon Lucky came from California and Beck from Florida. Sometimes you wonder if they ever do any research before spouting off.

I wonder that daily as I read this board. It's really easy to have an opinion, but to back that opinion up with solid research... most folks don't want to be bothered with that. :)

Football is a cycle...even for the good schools...your up and then your down...back and forth. There has been a lot of schools that just stay down, they are also the ones where the fans don't care.

With the cut in scholarships, some of the constantly down schools may find themselves and get into the cycle also....and it will be harder for the bigger schools to stay up and dominate.

Football is a cycle...even for the good schools...your up and then your down...back and forth. There has been a lot of schools that just stay down, they are also the ones where the fans don't care.

With the cut in scholarships, some of the constantly down schools may find themselves and get into the cycle also....and it will be harder for the bigger schools to stay up and dominate.

I agree with what you are saying. The scholorship limits have not caused any programs to fall. It merely caused others to rise. Some of the best college football ever seen will occur during this decade. It's time to separate the coaches that can develop what they've got from those that need to get back on the porch. Personally I think that it gives us a huge boost because now kids from all over the country must compete to get schollys at schools like Nebraska that doesn't have a coastline but has a scholly available.

What about USC, OU and PSU --- all pronounced dead by these same "has beens" a few short years ago...

The time to get negative is before you implode and fire your coach, not after the fact. Esp if you're about to bring on a very good coach/staff to replace him ? After a ledgedary Coach like TO is on the case ?... Every pogram wanders the deserts for a while.... Gimme a break -- we'll get it right....

I can't wait to see NU go back to being physical again and beating these moron's favorite teams into pulp..

Well there was a time where USC was a has-been. They were great for a time and then were weak (at which point for a good number of years they were has-beens), and they returned to greatness. Same with OU --- they were great, then there were the 6-7 years where they were weak (at which point they were has-beens) and they returned to greatness.

Now, NU was really great for decades, and now for the past 5-6 years Nu has been weak and is currently a has-been. That said, the hope is to follow the USC and OU pattern which is to return to greatness after hiring a great coach. Hopefully that will happen.

But, currently there can be no question, NU is a has-been. But the road back starts in a few days.....

Well there was a time where USC was a has-been. They were great for a time and then were weak (at which point for a good number of years they were has-beens), and they returned to greatness. Same with OU --- they were great, then there were the 6-7 years where they were weak (at which point they were has-beens) and they returned to greatness.

Now, NU was really great for decades, and now for the past 5-6 years Nu has been weak and is currently a has-been. That said, the hope is to follow the USC and OU pattern which is to return to greatness after hiring a great coach. Hopefully that will happen.

But, currently there can be no question, NU is a has-been. But the road back starts in a few days.....

I dont think NU is irrelavant -- but I get your point.... My biggest point, is, the time to pile on was in September -- not now, and the same jackasses were probably calling Joe Paterno and PSU a "has been" 5 years ago -- Pete Carrol had dismal first couple years.. eg I'd still be proud to have my son sign a LOI at PSU any day under Coach Paterno... it's all cyclical...

"Pete Carrol had dismal first couple years...."

Not to nitpick, but. . .

In his first year Carroll's team went something like 6-6, losing to Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl. Certainly not great, but not really "Dismal" either, in that it wasn't a losing season.

In his second season, Carroll's team was the PAC-10 co-champ, stomped #3 Iowa in the Orange Bowl by about three touchdowns, and had a Heisman trophy winning quarterback in Carson Palmer.

Certainly not "dismal".

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

The Huskers are not "has beens" thet are "Have been and will soon be agains."

...T_O_B

If you are a sportswriter then you must need subjects from time to time. What better a subject then to pick on a college football power that is going through some tough times and then try and discredit them in the present. If you want to sell a paper or magazine or whatever the media outlet may be just pick a fight with some diehard fan base.

To call a program a has been does not mean that you believe that program has no chance of ever coming back to dominance again.

Realize this: Nebraska IS a has been, but that doesn't mean you'll always be a has been. In all likelihood, you'll be a present power once more, then a has been again, and come back to success another time after that. This is how things work.

Colorado's a has been right now as well, we're just on our upswing at this point, so the media doesn't portray us that way anymore. Invest in futures of Kansas Jayhawks has been status, without a doubt they'll be there within the next 24 months.

If you are a sportswriter then you must need subjects from time to time. What better a subject then to pick on a college football power that is going through some tough times and then try and discredit them in the present. If you want to sell a paper or magazine or whatever the media outlet may be just pick a fight with some diehard fan base.

Good to see you are still around BB.

:yeah

...T_O_B

To call a program a has been does not mean that you believe that program has no chance of ever coming back to dominance again.

Realize this: Nebraska IS a has been, but that doesn't mean you'll always be a has been. In all likelihood, you'll be a present power once more, then a has been again, and come back to success another time after that. This is how things work.

Colorado's a has been right now as well, we're just on our upswing at this point, so the media doesn't portray us that way anymore. Invest in futures of Kansas Jayhawks has been status, without a doubt they'll be there within the next 24 months.

Let's just face it if you are not within 500 miles of an ocean the media would just as soon not bother with you.

As far as I'm concerned those of us living in the Heartland should just say FU to the national media.

How you doin' sCrUm?

...T_O_B