The Case for Bronco Mendenhall

1. Was DC at a number of schools from 1991 to 2005, including coaching Brian Urlacher at New Mexico.

2.. Took over a reeling BYU program in 2005 as Head Coach, that had 3 straight losing seasons under Gary Crowton. Led team to bowl in first year, and was 10-2 last year. Currently 9-2, and will likely be 10-2 after this weekends make-up game with San Diego State. 17-2 in last 18 games.

3. BYU is 9th in total defense this year, with an all-white LB corp and secondary.

4. BYU last year crushed Oregon in its bowl, 38-8.

5. When Mendenhall took over, he emphasized TRADITION and HONOR. He changed the uniform and helmets back to the traditional design. He brought Lavell Edwards back into the program. Despite being a man of few words, hee whipped the alumni into complete frenzy.

6. Produced a quarterback drafted in the early 2nd round of the NFL.

7. He is YOUNG and HUNGRY and ENERGETIC. During the off-season, in a race up a mountain, he beat the entire team.

8. Mendenhall has maintained his role as DC, despite being the HC. He is HANDS-ON, not an in-the-background administrator.

9. The man is a flat-out LEADER. He doesn't scream and yell. He leads.

I don't know if Mendenhall would ever be willing to leave BYU. He recently had his contract extended and his salary increased, from ~400k/yr to 900k/yr (pittance, but maybe enough to keep him happy). But in my mind, I can't think of another coach that would be able to LEVERAGE Husker tradition and spirit like Mendenhall. Please consider him at least as one of our darkhouse up-and-comer non-big-name candidates.

Oh yeah, one other minor point in his favor. Named his sons Cutter, Breaker and Raeder.

No offense, but this is a dumb thread. It's like making a case for Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. Great coaches, but no chance of getting them to leave their current gigs. So it is with Mendenhall. He is a great coach, but BYU is pretty much his dream job - there's no chance of getting him.

Can we please try to be realistic?

We know that TO has met with Pelini, Gill, possibly Grobe, and could soon talk with Kelly. That's it.

No offense, but this is a dumb thread. It's like making a case for Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. Great coaches, but no chance of getting them to leave their current gigs. So it is with Mendenhall. He is a great coach, but BYU is pretty much his dream job - there's no chance of getting him.

Can we please try to be realistic?

We know that TO has met with Pelini, Gill, possibly Grobe, and could soon talk with Kelly. That's it.

yes, unfortunately a pretty damn short list too.

1. Was DC at a number of schools from 1991 to 2005, including coaching Brian Urlacher at New Mexico.

2.. Took over a reeling BYU program in 2005 as Head Coach, that had 3 straight losing seasons under Gary Crowton. Led team to bowl in first year, and was 10-2 last year. Currently 9-2, and will likely be 10-2 after this weekends make-up game with San Diego State. 17-2 in last 18 games.

3. BYU is 9th in total defense this year, with an all-white LB corp and secondary.

4. BYU last year crushed Oregon in its bowl, 38-8.

5. When Mendenhall took over, he emphasized TRADITION and HONOR. He changed the uniform and helmets back to the traditional design. He brought Lavell Edwards back into the program. Despite being a man of few words, hee whipped the alumni into complete frenzy.

6. Produced a quarterback drafted in the early 2nd round of the NFL.

7. He is YOUNG and HUNGRY and ENERGETIC. During the off-season, in a race up a mountain, he beat the entire team.

8. Mendenhall has maintained his role as DC, despite being the HC. He is HANDS-ON, not an in-the-background administrator.

9. The man is a flat-out LEADER. He doesn't scream and yell. He leads.

I don't know if Mendenhall would ever be willing to leave BYU. He recently had his contract extended and his salary increased, from ~400k/yr to 900k/yr (pittance, but maybe enough to keep him happy). But in my mind, I can't think of another coach that would be able to LEVERAGE Husker tradition and spirit like Mendenhall. Please consider him at least as one of our darkhouse up-and-comer non-big-name candidates.

Oh yeah, one other minor point in his favor. Named his sons Cutter, Breaker and Raeder.

Good Coach. Left UNM to become Coach at BYU. That was in his contract at UNM...he could only leave for a BYU Coaching contract.You can also say he developed a young small town football player no one had heard of outside of New Mexico into one of the best Linebackers in football..Brian Urlacher.

Does well with the talent he gets and knows how to develope talent offensively and defensely.

BYU is his dream job and I don't think he'd leave for another school but Money does talk. I would expect BYU to match any reasonable offer and I don't think he commands mega millions.

Not the Name Nebraska is looking for, IMO