If Gill Is Head Coach Does His Race Help In Recruiting?

It would help!!

Let's just say it would help him to get in the door some places that Nebraska might not beable to with a white coach. Some parents might be more open to listen to him.

I don't think you just hire a coach just because he might get the best recruits, otherwise you might as well hire John Blake.

I was talking to some friends who played college sports (Not just Football), and they are all of a different race. A couple of the guys I was talking to said that if Nebraska hired Turner Gill it would help in recruiting. They talked about how we have awesome facilities, traditions and a program that competes with everyone around the country and having an African American Head Coach separates us from a lot of the top schools for African American players.

I didn't think that this would be that big of an issue but a couple guys have said that they would have taken it into account as would a lot of the other minorities that they played with. One guy even said that even if he liked the other school more he would pick Nebraska because of Turner Gill's race. I was suprised!!

I don't know if this has been talked about I haven't seen anything but I was just curious what other people think.

Sorry if this has already been discussed!!

no relevance whatsoever.

It would help!!

Let's just say it would help him to get in the door some places that Nebraska might not beable to with a white coach. Some parents might be more open to listen to him.

I don't think you just hire a coach just because he might get the best recruits, otherwise you might as well hire John Blake.

I don't think anyone is saying that we should hire TG because he could help recuiting. They're just saying if he was hired would it help.

I think it would help to some degree but there is also a chance that it could actually hurt because we all know that there are people out there that are still racist and might not want their kids playing for an African American coach. I personally wouldn't want those kids anyway but there is always that possibility.

By no degree should that be a reason to hire a coach and neither should having the BCA breathing down your neck saying there aren't enough African American coaches. The decision should only be made from coaching abilities ( that includes on and off field abilities).

Why would race have anything to do with it??Im so sick and tired of this race BS get over it we aint in the 50's and 60's any mores damn :wtf

Are you really trying to say that racism is no longer a problem in America. Yes, it isn't the 50's and 60's anymore and yet racism is still prominent in today's culture. A couple months ago a black girl was kidnapped raped, pissed on stabbed in her arms and legs, forced to eat feces by 5 white people and it was racially motivated.

I know that America has come along way since the 50's and 60's but don't you think something like this still happening today says something about where we stand with racism.

Also here is a link to the story I suggest reading it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3590598

Why would race have anything to do with it??Im so sick and tired of this race BS get over it we aint in the 50's and 60's any mores damn :wtf

Are you really trying to say that racism is no longer a problem in America. Yes, it isn't the 50's and 60's anymore and yet racism is still prominent in today's culture. A couple months ago a black girl was kidnapped raped, pissed on stabbed in her arms and legs, forced to eat feces by 5 white people and it was racially motivated.

I know that America has come along way since the 50's and 60's but don't you think something like this still happening today says something about where we stand with racism.

Dude, this is such a non-point. It's like saying "Nebraska hired Bill Callahan as our head coach so every program in America is going to hire Bill Callahan."

While the story you cite is true and was racially motivated, this type of situation is the exception, not the norm.

I work in the civil rights field right here in Nebraska, and I can tell you that we have come a LOOOOONG way since the 50s and 60s. Anyone trying to throw race into this conversation is a moron, plain and simple.

Please, stop with this line of "reasoning." Enough.

[

Dude, this is such a non-point. It's like saying "Nebraska hired Bill Callahan as our head coach so every program in America is going to hire Bill Callahan."

While the story you cite is true and was racially motivated, this type of situation is the exception, not the norm.

I work in the civil rights field right here in Nebraska, and I can tell you that we have come a LOOOOONG way since the 50s and 60s. Anyone trying to throw race into this conversation is a moron, plain and simple.

Please, stop with this line of "reasoning." Enough.

Dude do you even try to read my post objectively I even said that we have come along way since to 50's and 60's I was responding to people that are talking like race wouldn't be an issue. The stroy I posted was in response to people acting like since it isn't the 50's there is no more racism. I posted the story to remind some people that some really bad things still happen today in this country.

And what has ESPN been talking about the last couple days College Head Coaches and Race. There is a black coaches association in college, I have talked to Div I athletes who have said it is an issue (Although not a big one but how much of an issue was my question in the first place), and I work for a an organization who focuses on civil rights and they were even talking to me saying that hiring Turner Gill would send a positive message to the African American community. If anyone who thinks race is an issue in this situation is a moron. You my friend are calling a lot of people morons and hearing that you work in the civil rights field in Nebraska kind of makes me scratch my head.

Dude do you even try to read my post objectively I even said that we have come along way since to 50's and 60's I was responding to people that are talking like race wouldn't be an issue. The stroy I posted was in response to people acting like since it isn't the 50's there is no more racism. I posted the story to remind some people that some really bad things still happen today in this country.

And what has ESPN been talking about the last couple days College Head Coaches and Race. There is a black coaches association in college, I have talked to Div I athletes who have said it is an issue (Although not a big one but how much of an issue was my question in the first place), and I work for a an organization who focuses on civil rights and they were even talking to me saying that hiring Turner Gill would send a positive message to the African American community. If anyone who thinks race is an issue in this situation is a moron. You my friend are calling a lot of people morons and hearing that you work in the civil rights field in Nebraska kind of makes me scratch my head.

You didn't say "we've come a long way," you said, "racism is still prominent in today's culture." You're wrong - it isn't. If you really work for "an organization that focuses on civil rights" you would know that - or you should know that. While we still have work to do we have seen the fruits of our labor over the past 40 years, and we know that while total racial harmony is probably impossible, we have reached a level where it is at least in sight.

The only people in America who are denying this are people who stand to benefit from continued racial divides because it gives them a political platform from which they can talk, and more importantly from which they can make money. Do not be fooled by such organizations. If they had their way racial enmity would exist forever - there's good money in it if you know how to exploit it.

I can throw numbers of racial disparity at you all day long, Whites to Blacks, Blacks to Hispanics, Hispanics to Asians, Asians to Whites, and any combination thereof. True racial representation is never going to happen simply because, despite what you may be being told at your "job," most Americans of any color do not think in terms of color first. Again, the people who do are either people with political agendas or people who listen to those people without thinking first.

The people you responded to with that story weren't saying what you say they were saying. They were saying the same thing I am - to most people today, race is irrelevant. YOU responded with one anecdotal story, in the manner of using a stick of dynamite to swat a fly. That story is heinous, disgusting, and wholly unrepresentative of typical American society, and has no place in this discussion. I find it offensive that you would use a story like that to attempt in any way to describe "typical" race relations in this country.

All im saying is race should not be a damn factor becuzz look at the colts head coach that foo won a superbowl i mean if we wanna cry raceist shitt how come we dont see mexican and asian head coaches huh ?? i mean damn who cares if the coach is black white red blue if the foo can WIN GAMES and make a team money by bringing fans 2 tha games thats what matters not color i knoe maybe down in the south they cares but hell comeon

You didn't say "we've come a long way," you said, "racism is still prominent in today's culture." You're wrong - it isn't. If you really work for "an organization that focuses on civil rights" you would know that - or you should know that.

That is a matter of opinion. I have minority friends who through their own personal experiences would argue that point.

The only people in America who are denying this are people who stand to benefit from continued racial divides because it gives them a political platform from which they can talk, and more importantly from which they can make money.

So everyone who is fighting for equal rights in America is in it to make money and have a political platform. :thumbs I believe you just proved my point.

I admit my example was OVER the top, I know we have come along way but we still have along way to go. I see way too many examples to not call it a problem. Just because all the major news networks don't cover the issues doesn't mean the problem has gone away.