If Gill Is Head Coach Does His Race Help In Recruiting?

I was talking to some friends who played college sports (Not just Football), and they are all of a different race. A couple of the guys I was talking to said that if Nebraska hired Turner Gill it would help in recruiting. They talked about how we have awesome facilities, traditions and a program that competes with everyone around the country and having an African American Head Coach separates us from a lot of the top schools for African American players.

I didn't think that this would be that big of an issue but a couple guys have said that they would have taken it into account as would a lot of the other minorities that they played with. One guy even said that even if he liked the other school more he would pick Nebraska because of Turner Gill's race. I was suprised!!

I don't know if this has been talked about I haven't seen anything but I was just curious what other people think.

Sorry if this has already been discussed!!

In the long run, no way. Coaching is more important than race. If Gill has what it takes, he has it on merit rather than race. He, as well as any other "non-white" coach (See Kelvin Sampson) wouldn't want it any other way. Good coaches, good assistants = good players in your program. Head coaches don’t see the tapes of all the recruits. That’s what the assistants are for. Many head coaches see the kid only once. If a kid wants to go to a school due to the race of the head coach, probably not the best candidate out there.

I was talking to some friends who played college sports (Not just Football), and they are all of a different race. A couple of the guys I was talking to said that if Nebraska hired Turner Gill it would help in recruiting. They talked about how we have awesome facilities, traditions and a program that competes with everyone around the country and having an African American Head Coach separates us from a lot of the top schools for African American players.

I didn't think that this would be that big of an issue but a couple guys have said that they would have taken it into account as would a lot of the other minorities that they played with. One guy even said that even if he liked the other school more he would pick Nebraska because of Turner Gill's race. I was suprised!!

I don't know if this has been talked about I haven't seen anything but I was just curious what other people think.

Well if that were the case then coaches like Croom, Willingham and Prince would have power house programs due to their race. That is not the case.

Does anyone know if on Rivals.com or another recruiting site you can look at which coaches are recruiting which players? I'm interested in seeing a list of guys that Pelini is recruiting or has recruited. Thanks.

According to Rivals, Bo is responsible for ZERO 2008 commits at LSU. I also looked at 2007 and he was responsible for ZERO recruits at LSU also. Just what Rivals.com stated.

Does anyone know if on Rivals.com or another recruiting site you can look at which coaches are recruiting which players? I'm interested in seeing a list of guys that Pelini is recruiting or has recruited. Thanks.

According to Rivals, Bo is responsible for ZERO 2008 commits at LSU. I also looked at 2007 and he was responsible for ZERO recruits at LSU also. Just what Rivals.com stated.

Very interesting. Link?

Very interesting. Link?

Eventhough it's free information, I don't want to run the risk of copyrighted material....I will pm you the address and you can find it for yourself. :)

Actually, I think it would help. Nebraska's pretty white as it is, and I am sure that lots of black athletes might be hesitant to come to a place with not much African-American culture. But when a school like Nebraska hires only the 10th black coach in D1, I think it makes a positive statement to athletes to the effect that "we don't just talk the talk as far as race goes, we walk the walk". It might mean 1 or 2 kids a year.