Question for the Callahan Apologists

With all of the openings out there for HC, I'd be interested in knowing why the "Callahan should have more time" people think he's not even being mentioned in talks for these programs.

If he was such a good coach that WE should keep him, doesn't it stand to reason that his name would be mentioned in some other search as even a minor candidate?

Just goes to show you that people can be a fan without knowing football. There's nothing wrong with that, unless people let their opinion and their mouth get in front of their better judgment.

Because the local papers aren't telling them that. Most of the BC fans from the begining of the year were only repeating what they read in the papers and heard from other fans. That is why most of the rhetoric was all the same inaccurate info. I think NU fans were told the wrong info and they bought into it. Not blaming them, but if they took a step back and looked at it from a little further distance they would have felt differently earlier.

Because intelligent football people know that Bill Callahan is not head coach material and especially not at the college level.

Right. But "intelligent football people" aren't who the question was directed at. It was directed at all the people on this board who kept saying we needed to keep BC on board for another year or two.

Because intelligent football people know that Bill Callahan is not head coach material and especially not at the college level.

Right. But "intelligent football people" aren't who the question was directed at. It was directed at all the people on this board who kept saying we needed to keep BC on board for another year or two.

Good point.

If I need an offensive coordinator I know who to call.......

Just make sure you don't call his buddy if you need a DC :)

Whatchoo talkin' about! ! !

I highly recommend Cosgrove to the Buffaloes. They really could use a man of his skill and talent. :thumbs

and I highly recomended that Cally not get the axe so we are both SOL......

With all of the openings out there for HC, I'd be interested in knowing why the "Callahan should have more time" people think he's not even being mentioned in talks for these programs.

If he was such a good coach that WE should keep him, doesn't it stand to reason that his name would be mentioned in some other search as even a minor candidate?

Just goes to show you that people can be a fan without knowing football. There's nothing wrong with that, unless people let their opinion and their mouth get in front of their better judgment.

Just because some people supported Callahan with a new defensive staff, does not mean that they don't know anything about football. That is an extremely arrogant and condescending statement. If you are such an educated football mind, then why aren't you being paid the big bucks coaching somewhere?

I didn't support Callahan because I felt that he was the best coach out there. I supported him because I felt that if he hired a new "Pelini-style" D-coordinator, things could have been very different. I supported him because I felt that he didn't have enough time. Prior to this season, there was NO evidence that a defensive meltdown was imminent. In fact, the defense was looking tougher closing out last season by limiting Colorado, Oklahoma and Auburn. Some say he should have fired Cosgrove earlier-- but I challenge you by saying that there was no evidence prior to this season that a defensive change was needed, and secondly, he can't be expected to fire Cosgrove during the season.

I felt that keeping Callahan would be a lesser risk than hiring the unproven names that have been mentioned.

Giving Callahan 1 or 2 more seasons with a new DC would be an equal risk to a totally new staff. I think that if the staff had met Osborne's benchmarks, Callahan would have fired Cosgrove anyways.

Ultimately, the fact is that Callahan could not meet Osborne's benchmarks and there is no argument to that. I support Osborne's decision, however I also feel that Callahan could have turned it around.

Why isn't he being mentioned for any jobs?? Easy. His 27-22 record. Is he the best coach out there? No-- he was a first time college head coach who had to learn on the job. He learned in his 4th season that he needs a better defense and that a mobile qb makes his offense better. He learned that he has the offensive weapons in place, and it's time to go and recruit a championship defense. He learned that Nebraska isn't patient.

How much time are you willing to give Pelini?

Just because some people supported Callahan with a new defensive staff, does not mean that they don't know anything about football. That is an extremely arrogant and condescending statement. If you are such an educated football mind, then why aren't you being paid the big bucks coaching somewhere?

I didn't support Callahan because I felt that he was the best coach out there. I supported him because I felt that if he hired a new "Pelini-style" D-coordinator, things could have been very different. I supported him because I felt that he didn't have enough time. Prior to this season, there was NO evidence that a defensive meltdown was imminent. In fact, the defense was looking tougher closing out last season by limiting Colorado, Oklahoma and Auburn. Some say he should have fired Cosgrove earlier-- but I challenge you by saying that there was no evidence prior to this season that a defensive change was needed, and secondly, he can't be expected to fire Cosgrove during the season.

I felt that keeping Callahan would be a lesser risk than hiring the unproven names that have been mentioned.

Giving Callahan 1 or 2 more seasons with a new DC would be an equal risk to a totally new staff. I think that if the staff had met Osborne's benchmarks, Callahan would have fired Cosgrove anyways.

Ultimately, the fact is that Callahan could not meet Osborne's benchmarks and there is no argument to that. I support Osborne's decision, however I also feel that Callahan could have turned it around.

Why isn't he being mentioned for any jobs?? Easy. His 27-22 record. Is he the best coach out there? No-- he was a first time college head coach who had to learn on the job. He learned in his 4th season that he needs a better defense and that a mobile qb makes his offense better. He learned that he has the offensive weapons in place, and it's time to go and recruit a championship defense. He learned that Nebraska isn't patient.

How much time are you willing to give Pelini?

Pelini or whoever will be given much more time thanks to Calllllllahan lowering the standards at NU.

Calllllllahan never would have "turned it around" no matter who the DC was. His offense was decent against bad teams but non-existant against good/great teams, and his preparation, play calling and game plans made everyone scratch their heads.

The better bet would be an up-and-coming coordinator/HC from a smaller school as opposed to a washed up NFL has been who's success has been marginal and limited at best.

They seem to have gone away. Or they have changed their tunes, and are hiding.

Unfortunately, some people only know the one tune. Look a couple of posts above yours. :)

Unfortunately, some people only know the one tune. Look a couple of posts above yours. :)

Not if I can help it. :sarcasm