Pilkington quitting

Whats this farce about option qb's getting hurt all the time? With the exception of Berringer, who was the last qb that got seriously hurt running the option at NU?

Didn't Tommie miss most of the 94 season or did I just imagine that? Newcombe got hurt in the 98 season also.

Gee, Tommie's injury wasnt exactly football related, but I wouldnt expect you to understand that.

I dont recall Newcombe getting seriously injured at qb, I remember him playing, and being a little banged up, and him not performing very well, thus Cristo and Crouch got their chances to play.

I forget did Newcomber play against Cal that year? Just sat out for no reason.

Let him go, we have players coming in that probably would have gotten playing time over him anyway. I'd rather have Boateng and Franklin lining up next year than Pilkington and Birkel anyway.

I agree, Pilkington was very overrated this year. I'm sure he was upset with the change in coaches, but I dodn't have any sympathy when you are getting $20,000 a year for your education. Put the helmit on and play.

Hey, if you guys watch 10/11 tonight, Birkel gives an interview to Dalea and kind of hammers Callahan for his unprofessional attitude. He asys that during film sessions all the time the coaches would always say,"In the NFL, we did this." Birkel's response was were not in the NFL. He says he was the number 1 Husker fan and now we doesn't even want to stay. He says most of the team dosen't like what's going on. And expect more to transfer or quit.

This sucks, but the way I look at it, it could make Callahan's transition easier by getting more of "his guys" in there. Just a thought.

QUOTE]

Didn't Tommie miss most of the 94 season or did I just imagine that? Newcombe got hurt in the 98 season also.

Gee, Tommie's injury wasnt exactly football related, but I wouldnt expect you to understand that.

I dont recall Newcombe getting seriously injured at qb, I remember him playing, and being a little banged up, and him not performing very well, thus Cristo and Crouch got their chances to play.

He you go I found this article about Newcombe. Look what it says about the 98 season. What's that ended with a knee injury.

http://theindependent.com/stories/081400/s...po_hamar14.html

Let him go, we have players coming in that probably would have gotten playing time over him anyway.  I'd rather have Boateng and Franklin lining up next year than Pilkington and Birkel anyway.

I agree, Pilkington was very overrated this year. I'm sure he was upset with the change in coaches, but I dodn't have any sympathy when you are getting $20,000 a year for your education. Put the helmit on and play.

I agree with you about Pilkington. I think he was a captain by default. So does he have to start paying his way to school?

Hey, if you guys watch 10/11 tonight, Birkel gives an interview to Dalea and kind of hammers Callahan for his unprofessional attitude. He asys that during film sessions all the time the coaches would always say,"In the NFL, we did this." Birkel's response was were not in the NFL. He says he was the number 1 Husker fan and now we doesn't even want to stay. He says most of the team dosen't like what's going on. And expect more to transfer or quit.

This sucks, but the way I look at it, it could make Callahan's transition easier by getting more of "his guys" in there. Just a thought.

Who the hell is this Birkel kid? He's a sophmore, I know that much. Too bad he doesn't name names when he says "most" of the team doesn't like "what's going on". I am sure it is easier to make sweeping generalizations on your way out then to call out your now former team members. Sorry, I just don't have much respect people who burn bridges.

Yea, this isn't the NFL. That doesn't mean there are things you can't learn from the NFL. Like catching the ball.

Could it be that some of the current players are upset because they see the types of kids that could possibly be coming to the team in the future and realize they might have to transfer to play?

Either way, whatever. I hope he does well in whatever Div 1-AA school he transfers to.

Teams will always have players leave for 1 reason or another. TO had it happen, Solich did too, and Callahan will have more in the future I'm sure. When these kids that were all-world in H.S. come in and don't sniff the top of the depth chart, they will all respond differently. I would rather have kids that bust their butts trying to get better than sissy quitters anyday. I don't care if Lucky is a 5* recruit, if he comes in and gets beat out by Ross and wants to leave, to hell with him. Same goes for any other players feeling 'jilted' right now.

Teams will always have players leave for 1 reason or another.  TO had it happen, Solich did too, and Callahan will have more in the future I'm sure.  When these kids that were all-world in H.S. come in and don't sniff the top of the depth chart, they will all respond differently.  I would rather have kids that bust their butts trying to get better than sissy quitters anyday.  I don't care if Lucky is a 5* recruit, if he comes in and gets beat out by Ross and wants to leave, to hell with him.  Same goes for any other players feeling 'jilted' right now.

Exactly. :horns2

Teams will always have players leave for 1 reason or another. TO had it happen, Solich did too, and Callahan will have more in the future I'm sure. When these kids that were all-world in H.S. come in and don't sniff the top of the depth chart, they will all respond differently. I would rather have kids that bust their butts trying to get better than sissy quitters anyday. I don't care if Lucky is a 5* recruit, if he comes in and gets beat out by Ross and wants to leave, to hell with him. Same goes for any other players feeling 'jilted' right now.

hoyamann es en fugo :bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Good point

1620 the zone reported today that Pilkington was quitting football but staying in school. I wonder getting hurt all the time had something to do with it kind of like Bland last year. He'll be missed but I don't know how much.

Here is a story from the LJS.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/12/14...e1263015993.txt

Pretty sure 95% of it has to do with the coaching. He said he about never went out this year, he was real close to solich and ron brown. They were family, these guys know nothing about family.

lets not forget that birkels statments are based on his perception..

a few weeks ago a few of the parting seniors, cahd sievers and ira cooper commented that the problems were not the coaches, or thier game plans. the problem was with some of the players not buying into the system. is it possible that birkel was one of those players ?all the talent in the world will not make up for a bad attitude.