I can't believe some of you guys...

GoDawgz

I can't believe some of you guys are actually trying to cheat on a dumb ESPN poll. I know not all of you are doing it, but a lot of you are. Well, I got bad news for you... Only one vote per day is counted. Just ask them. Do you actually think ESPN would let you vote multiple times from the same IP? No sir. They aren't dumb. But that's not the point. The point is that some of you are actually trying to cheat by voting thousands of times per day? And to add insult to immaturity, only one of them counts, lol. Look, I'm not a Bama fan, and I'm not a Husker fan. I am a Georgia fan. We all know that they we're both great coaches. Besides, you don't need to cheat anyways, because Osborne will still probably win because Auburn and LSU fans are posting it all over the internet to "vote for Osborne so the bear won't win it." No matter what the outcome, every one knows that Paul "Bear" Bryant is the greatest coach in the history of College Football. Tom Osborne is a close 2nd. Everyone else is far behind. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, oh well. Good luck next year with Pelini. That defense should improve drastically. So long and GO DAWGS!

He's got a very good point. (edit: not on who is the better coach, mind)

Understand, from our perspective, it's just Husker fans expressing love for their coach in a pointless internet poll that matters little anyways. It's not like it's a legit, scientific study. Remember that time Foxtrot allowed online users to vote for what college the kid in the comic strip would go to, and MIT guys were writing scripts to vote automatically?

On the other hand, it's perfectly reasonable to question that and say, hey, wait a minute. This isn't a class move.

No matter what the outcome, every one knows that Paul "Bear" Bryant is the greatest coach in the history of College Football. Tom Osborne is a close 2nd.

:blink: Come on our board and say this? And we're gonna... agree?

Bryant was great during his era. But the foward pass was barely used in college. Let go of the numbers you stare at. Osborne won in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The greatest coach EVAH.

Thanks for your time. Buh bye.

No matter what the outcome, every one knows that Paul "Bear" Bryant is the greatest coach in the history of College Football. Tom Osborne is a close 2nd.

Bryant was great during his era. But the foward pass was barely used in college. Let go of the numbers you stare at. Osborne won in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The greatest coach EVAH.

By that same token though, does a coach who wins in 00's and '10s (boy that sounds weird) supercede Osborne just because it's more modern times?

Just food for thought, not the main focus of the thread.

Let's do the fun game that Husker fans love to play with Colorado fans, shall we?

Bryant's National Championships: 6

Osborne's National Championships: 3

"nuff said"

In all seriousness, you can't discredit Bryant on account of the era of football that he coached in. I mean, do you honestly believe that the Huskers would have continued their reign of dominance through the present if Osborne hadn't stepped down as head coach? I've got news for you pal, football isn't the same now as it was then. The rules are different, opposing coaches are smarter, and opposing players are stronger and faster.

If you took Osborne in his prime and put him in the modern era, he'd probably be a great coach, but not one of the all time greats. The same could be said for Bryant. You have to judge them on their accomplishments regardless of the decades they coached in. Both coaches were great, but Bryant was more dominant for a longer period of time.

Damn right Osborne's gotta be the best coach of all time I mean i knoe college football history and all of that

but I dont think it took the BEAR 20 some years 2 win a national title thoes.Besides look at the close calls that Osborne had like in the 1983 orange bowl against the damn hurricanes we lost a championship becuzz we went 4 it. And any coach would have gone 4 it 2 and I still think that the 1983 team was the best husker team of all times (even thoe we didnt win the title)we had a bad ass team that season

Let's do the fun game that Husker fans love to play with Colorado fans, shall we?

"nuff said"

In all seriousness, you can't discredit Bryant on account of the era of football that he coached in. I mean, do you honestly believe that the Huskers would have continued their reign of dominance through the present if Osborne hadn't stepped down as head coach? I've got news for you pal, football isn't the same now as it was then. The rules are different, opposing coaches are smarter, and opposing players are stronger and faster.

If you took Osborne in his prime and put him in the modern era, he'd probably be a great coach, but not one of the all time greats. The same could be said for Bryant. You have to judge them on their accomplishments regardless of the decades they coached in. Both coaches were great, but Bryant was more dominant for a longer period of time.

Osborne was offensive coordinator and assistant head coach on the `71 Nebraska Team that handed Bear Bryant his ASS 38-6...SCOREBOARD! Osborne 1, Bryant 0

"nuff said"

Concerning the "all-time greatest coach", I agree with you that Bryant likely "carries more water" with folks outside of Nebraska (hey, man...we can't be objective when it comes to TO). However, I find it humorous how you break down the comparison. You use only National Championships...while failing to mention that Bryant coached for 13 more years than Osborne.

You also have discrepancies in your premise, i.e., don't use the era to evaluate a coach. Exactly what you did in your critique of TO. If you don't understand, see your quoted post above - in bold.

You also conveniently leave out the other statistics in your comparison, if you want to present an argument, at least be objective...don't leave out stats that aren't supportive of your stance.

Record: Bryant- 323-85-17 (76% wp) Osborne- 255-49-3 (83% wp)

Conference Titles: PB- 15 SEC TO- 13 Big 8/12

Years Coaching: PB- 38 TO- 25

I believe that Osborne would've won, at least, 1 more NC in the next 5 years following his retirement (1997)

Also:over.jpg

"You're still here? It's over (NU season). Go home."

Osborne and Bryant head to head were 1-1

Sat, Sep 17 Alabama - 4 Memorial Stadium 31 - 24 (W)

Sat, Sep 02 Alabama 10 1 at Birmingham, Ala. 3 - 20 (L)

In 1977 unranked Nebraska beat the number 4th ranked Alabama and the next year Number 1 Alabama beat 10th ranked Nebraska.

1978-1979 Bear won back to back National championships so I would say that he was in his prime when Osborne coached against him.

Do you actually think ESPN would let you vote multiple times from the same IP? No sir. They aren't dumb.

Don't sell ESPN short, UGA man. They really ARE dumb.

No, what is really irking people here is the mathematic impossibility of Bryant catching and then passing TO in a matter of several days. The lead at one time was upwards of 20% for TO. If you're correct in that each ISP gets only one vote per day, that lends even more credibility to the argument that there are some shenanigans going on with those percentages, since it would be nigh on impossible for Bryant to suddenly acquire that many more unique votes than Osborne in that short of a time span.

The reality is that if they wanted to have this little poll have any credibility whatsoever, even the vestiges of credibility, they would isolate ISPs and allow one vote per, period. Instead they encourage abuse of their little voting process and you get tihs situation, where people are launching macro blasters to pump up the votes. So yeah, ESPN really is pretty dumb.

But what else is new?

Do you actually think ESPN would let you vote multiple times from the same IP? No sir. They aren't dumb.

Don't sell ESPN short, UGA man. They really ARE dumb.

No, what is really irking people here is the mathematic impossibility of Bryant catching and then passing TO in a matter of several days. The lead at one time was upwards of 20% for TO. If you're correct in that each ISP gets only one vote per day, that lends even more credibility to the argument that there are some shenanigans going on with those percentages, since it would be nigh on impossible for Bryant to suddenly acquire that many more unique votes than Osborne in that short of a time span.

The reality is that if they wanted to have this little poll have any credibility whatsoever, even the vestiges of credibility, they would isolate ISPs and allow one vote per, period. Instead they encourage abuse of their little voting process and you get tihs situation, where people are launching macro blasters to pump up the votes. So yeah, ESPN really is pretty dumb.

But what else is new?

i was going to say, it is extremely easy to trick a computer into letting you vote more than once.

"nuff said"

THe NC numbers alone are what most people are voting on. One thing that stands out to me is the fact that Osborne never missed a bowl, Bryant did miss bowl games. Logic would suggest that had Osborne coached 38 years he would have 38 bowl appearances. Clearly more consistant.

As far as the NC games go, TO SHOULD have 5 in my opinion. Maybe six. Well, technically anyway. The '93 Orange bowl, Warrick Dunn did NOT break the plane on FSU's last touch down. Clear as day even when the play was live. And every time I see that famous two point conversion against Miami in 1983, I could swear the Miami defender actually slapped Irving Fryar's hands as the ball was coming in. Maybe I just need glasses though..

We won't even discuss PSU catching the ball out of bounds and running back in during the '82 season. Big Red ran the table other than that. You have to think that might have wound up a title as well.

But that's the way it goes. close calls, near misses.. happens all the time. Overall I think this is really about overall coaching, not just wins and losses. Both men are/were great human beings that turned a lot of boys...some of them very troubled individuals.... into good men. That's what it's really all about.

To me TO is unquestionably the greatest. Then again, no shame in second place to the Bear.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Lets just compare the numbers:

......................................................BB...........................TO

Win percentage:...............................76%........................83%

Wins per season:..............................8.5 .........................10.5

Bowl trips:.......................................29/38 78.9%............25/25 100%

Conference Championships:..............15/38 39.4%............13/25 53.5%

National Championships:...................6/38 15.7%..............3/25 12%

Close and Bear was there for 13 more seasons but Tom Osborne wins 4 out of 5 catagories. He also got to play those great Oklahoma teams every year.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:woo:hellloooo:bonez

I can't believe some of you guys are actually trying to cheat on a dumb ESPN poll. I know not all of you are doing it, but a lot of you are. Well, I got bad news for you... Only one vote per day is counted. Just ask them. Do you actually think ESPN would let you vote multiple times from the same IP? No sir. They aren't dumb. But that's not the point. The point is that some of you are actually trying to cheat by voting thousands of times per day? And to add insult to immaturity, only one of them counts, lol. Look, I'm not a Bama fan, and I'm not a Husker fan. I am a Georgia fan. We all know that they we're both great coaches. Besides, you don't need to cheat anyways, because Osborne will still probably win because Auburn and LSU fans are posting it all over the internet to "vote for Osborne so the bear won't win it." No matter what the outcome, every one knows that Paul "Bear" Bryant is the greatest coach in the history of College Football. Tom Osborne is a close 2nd. Everyone else is far behind. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, oh well. Good luck next year with Pelini. That defense should improve drastically. So long and GO DAWGS!

And thats fine, because its YOUR opinion. When Osborne wins it...then I guess not enough people had the same views as you. But won't that mean that Osborne is the BEST coach of all time? :o