West Coast Offense

hoyamannn

What does everyone think of the offense we're running now? I like the idea, I just hope it gets situated to suit our players, or the ones BC is getting. I just remember in 1991 after another bowl loss everybody saying TO needed to scrap the option. BC's been running his offense with lackluster talent for 11 games and everyone wants to scrap the WCO already. Should we go back to option?

What does everyone think of the offense we're running now? I like the idea, I just hope it gets situated to suit our players, or the ones BC is getting. I just remember in 1991 after another bowl loss everybody saying TO needed to scrap the option. BC's been running his offense with lackluster talent for 11 games and everyone wants to scrap the WCO already. Should we go back to option?

I think that BC has to transition to his offense because that's what he knows. But it really pisses me off when he doesn't play to win. I know supposedly that won't be a problem in the coming years because he'll have "the right talent" to run his offense, but it was so frustrating to see him stubbornly throw three incomplete passes in a row and then punt, series after series, when the game was winnable. It was stubborn and disrespectful to the program and fans to not try to win the as many games as he could. Watching him call those plays was every bit as frustrating as Solich's play calling in 2002.

That being said, I'm really interested to see what kind of system Frank establishes at Ohio. He says he's going to throw a lot more, but still thinks the option has to be used in college because defenses can be exploited by it. We'll see. But as far as Nebraska, I'm afraid this thing we call the WCO has to run its course...for better or for worse. But don't expect me to keep quiet about it :) .

What does everyone think of the offense we're running now?  I like the idea, I just hope it gets situated to suit our players, or the ones BC is getting.  I just remember in 1991 after another bowl loss everybody saying TO needed to scrap the option.  BC's been running his offense with lackluster talent for 11 games and everyone wants to scrap the WCO already.  Should we go back to option?

I think that BC has to transition to his offense because that's what he knows. But it really pisses me off when he doesn't play to win. I know supposedly that won't be a problem in the coming years because he'll have "the right talent" to run his offense, but it was so frustrating to see him stubbornly throw three incomplete passes in a row and then punt, series after series, when the game was winnable. It was stubborn and disrespectful to the program and fans to not try to win the as many games as he could. Watching him call those plays was every bit as frustrating as Solich's play calling in 2002.

That being said, I'm really interested to see what kind of system Frank establishes at Ohio. He says he's going to throw a lot more, but still thinks the option has to be used in college because defenses can be exploited by it. We'll see. But as far as Nebraska, I'm afraid this thing we call the WCO has to run its course...for better or for worse. But don't expect me to keep quiet about it :) .

I agree with everything you say. The major problem with cal's O is that he has a playbook the size of a phonebook, supposedly, and it takes too long for immature, part-time players/full time students to learn the system. Most good players are only in college for 3 years, 5 years tops. They had Roger Craig on the NU boadcast during one of the games, and he said that it took him 3 years to learn the system FULLTIME.

Another problem is bc is too stubborn and arrogant to realize that this system wont work as is, and he hasnt show the ability to deviate from it, and change it at all.

Look what happened at USC, once Hackett was gone, and Chow and Carroll simplified the O, the team flourished.

What made me sick was watching us throw 3 times with a FIRST AND GOAL FROM INSIDE THE 5!!!! What the hell was that? Pound it down their throats and SCORE! Later in the year BC said on his TV show that he simplified things for Dailey, so lets hope if he sees this O not working like it does in the pros he'll know how to change to make things work. Our O should be pretty good next year with improved QB play, more depth at RB, better receivers and a good O-Line.

I see some potential in Callahans game. If the IA State game that I attended was anything like the rest of the games, I saw the plays were there they just didn't get done. It was the most frustrating thing seeing open recievers on the field and the QB hesitating in getting them the ball allowing the defense to close in before the ball got there.

I think Callahan and the offensive staff knows what they want to get done on the offensive side of the ball and I think they know the kind of players and effort it takes to get it done. I know everyone has heard it before, but it seemed we were close to putting things together on the offensive side of the ball but it just never did. I hope that some of the recruits this year can step in early, especially the juco's, and show something in the WR and QB position especially. I think our O-line builds on the limited success they saw this year and the play at RB is built upon also. I would love to see some sets with Marlon (if he doesn't redshirt), Jackson (Brandon or Leon) and Ross. Marlon loves to catch the ball as well as run it. I don't see Ross not starting at RB next year. Hopefully his turf toe problems don't resurface.

I know what you mean about passing inside the 5. However, if one of those passes had been complete we wouldn't be talking about it ;)

I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but what makes you think the QB situation will be much better next year especially the first half of the season? If Dailey starts, he'd better grow leaps and bounds in order for QB play to be much better. I just don't see a true freshman, Beck, coming in here winging the ball around like a seasoned veteran. Look at Tennessee this year. They tried it, and they struggled with it. IMO, a JuCo player especially at QB is more like a redshirt freshman than anything else. I just don't see QB play being much better at the start of the season next year than it was this year.

Again, it will take patience. I think we will be very shaky at QB next year as well, but we should be solid at other positions. However, the QB is the key to the WCO. If he struggles, the whole offense struggles.

I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but what makes you think the QB situation will be much better next year especially the first half of the season?  If Dailey starts, he'd better grow leaps and bounds in order for QB play to be much better.  I just don't see a true freshman, Beck, coming in here winging the ball around like a seasoned veteran.  Look at Tennessee this year.  They tried it, and they struggled with it.  IMO, a JuCo player especially at QB is more like a redshirt freshman than anything else.  I just don't see QB play being much better at the start of the season next year than it was this year. 

Again, it will take patience.  I think we will be very shaky at QB next year as well, but we should be solid at other positions.  However, the QB is the key to the WCO.  If he struggles, the whole offense struggles.

Yea, I would agree with that. We saw that if the QB struggles the whole offense struggles which is true IMO for most offenses. It might be wishful thinking that QB play will improve from game 1 next year, but only time will tell. I think having a QB that has been throwing and reading defenses in a more pass oriented offense is a good start. Someone that is used to keying on 3, 4 or even 5 receivers instead of 1 or 2. We didn't have that with Dailey this year. I guess that's what makes me thing QB play might be a bit better.

I don't expect Beck to see much if any playing time next year. Depending on how things pan out I would expect him to redshirt.

I don't expect Beck to see much if any playing time next year. Depending on how things pan out I would expect him to redshirt.

i should hope he sits out. given, beck thinks he's the hottest thing since sliced bread and the latex prophylactic but i'd like to see him out for a year to mature.

and as much has joe d. got smacked around this ear, i'm still not willing to give up on him. this was his first year as a WC QB, i'm hoping now that he's been under fire, he can use that experience to his advantage.

of course, i'm just an optimist.

i should hope he sits out. given, beck thinks he's the hottest thing since sliced bread and the latex prophylactic but i'd like to see him out for a year to mature.

and as much has joe d. got smacked around this ear, i'm still not willing to give up on him. this was his first year as a WC QB, i'm hoping now that he's been under fire, he can use that experience to his advantage.

of course, i'm just an optimist.

I'd like to think that way about Joe D. myself, but as the season went on it got harder and harder to keep thinkin that way. He's so Jekyl and Hyde sometimes it's hard to get a bead on whether he is really advancing.

I'd like to think that way about Joe D. myself, but as the season went on it got harder and harder to keep thinkin that way. He's so Jekyl and Hyde sometimes it's hard to get a bead on whether he is really advancing.

I didn't really see Joe improve this year. The best game he had was game 1 against a high-school team. He consistently missed receivers and made mistakes and just never got better. I would be more optimistic if he would have started to improve, but I don't think he can learn to be accurate. I would love to see vast amounts of improvement, because I don't hate Joe, but I just don't think his talents are a fit for this offense.

With a full year under their belts, things HAD BETTER improve. I went to the Baylor and Iowa State games and I personally think it is absolutely pathetic that the QB has to run over to the sidelines to get every play. Does the offseason conditioning account for this extra running? God forbid Joe bust off a 40 yard scramble (like that would ever happen) and then have to run another 30 over to the sidelines to get the next play.

At the ISU game, down by two scores late, NU still couldn't snap the ball with more than 10 seconds on the play clock because they coudn't get the plays in fast enough. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

With a full year under their belts, things HAD BETTER improve. I went to the Baylor and Iowa State games and I personally think it is absolutely pathetic that the QB has to run over to the sidelines to get every play. Does the offseason conditioning account for this extra running? God forbid Joe bust off a 40 yard scramble (like that would ever happen) and then have to run another 30 over to the sidelines to get the next play.

At the ISU game, down by two scores late, NU still couldn't snap the ball with more than 10 seconds on the play clock because they coudn't get the plays in fast enough. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

Yep, it all comes down to simplifying things. The QB can't have a headset, so get hand signals or something instead of having the QB run over each play. Or have the WR's rotate and bring plays in or something. Joe should at least be able to get a play off at the end of the game so he can tuck it and run out of bounds with :0 left on the clock.

The QB can't have a headset

I've kinda been wondering why that is. I mean is it just to keep the game as different from pro as much as possible? Or is there some other reason? I'm just curious.

Why should you need one? Players are meant to play on the field. Not coaches tell them how to play while they are on the field.