Playoff Proposal

cb1954

Here is my idea for a playoff proposal. I have tried to keep the # of teams from being to many to keep from drawing out the season to long, I don't think a lot of the school administrators would like to extend the season any more than necessary.

One of the basic rules of this is that if you don't win your conference you obviously aren't the best team in the country. This makes the regular season and every game mean something. I have also have kept the bowls in the system which most people say is important.

The winners of the 6 BCS conferences are automatically in. The 2 remaining teams would come from the highest ranking non BCS conferences or am independent like Notre Dame. In a rare case it is also possible for example to a have a conference to have co champions that have not played each other during the regular season and don't have a conference championship game. They would probaby be represented by the team with the highest ranking.

You would have a total of 7 games in the playoffs. Four in the first round, 2 in the second and then the championship game. Which ever bowls wanted to be included in the playoff would bid for the games, or they could rotate if they agree to that. The top 4 teams in the BCS rankings (from within the above framework) would play against the next 4 (remember they have to have won their conference). At least with this system every team in D1A would have a shot at the championship, as it is now if you are not in a BCS conference you can forget it, like Hawaii this year and Boise St and Utah in the past. Every team would have a least a chance, you win your games and you can get in.

So this year you would have something like this. (I am just guessing on which bowls would be involved) and the time frame. Some of the bowls would have to play a little earlier than they do now. network tv could also bid on the various games. Teams and bowls not in the playoff would do as they do now.

First round, could be played around Dec. 22nd

Ohio St vs USC in the Fiesta Bowl

LSU vs W. Virginia in the Cotton Bowl

V. Tech vs Hawaii in the Outback Bowl

Oklahoma vs BYU in the Capital One Bowl

Then lets say the second round might look like this and be played around Dec. 29th.

LSU vs USC in the Orange Bowl

Oklahoma vs V Tech. in the Sugar Bowl

Championship Game played maybe Jan. 5th

USC vs Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl

post-4426-1197577642.jpg

I don't care how they come up with a playoff ....... I just want to get the MNC game moved out to Super Bowl weekend. Here's my 2 cents ........ Saturday of "Super Weekend" is the MNC game, Sunday is the Super Bowl, and then, move Martin Luther King's B-day holiday to the Monday following the Super Bowl and give everybody the day off to recuperate !!! There isn't a "for profit" in the world that can't market themselves in some way with that line up.

You can even keep the bowl line-up as is with the conference tie ins and run your playoff through January. And don't even talk to me about players missing classes.

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Eight team playoff is OK but I would like to see this wrinkle added. No conference gets to play unless they have a conference championship game. Two other teams earn births by playing "play" in bowls. thus the first round is played. Then the 4 first round games are played on the third Saturday before New Years Day.

The semi-final games are played two Saturdays before New Years Day. The Saturday before New Years is an off day and 4 games are played on New Years Day, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th place are all determined by the original 8 playoff teams. The December dead period is eliminated New Years Day gets it's rightful place as The Biggest Most Exciting Day in College Football, you have 4 games with meaning and all is concluded on January First a holiday, not some mid week night when you have to work the day of and the day after the game.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

Here is my idea for a playoff proposal. I have tried to keep the # of teams from being to many to keep from drawing out the season to long, I don't think a lot of the school administrators would like to extend the season any more than necessary.

One of the basic rules of this is that if you don't win your conference you obviously aren't the best team in the country. This makes the regular season and every game mean something. I have also have kept the bowls in the system which most people say is important.

The winners of the 6 BCS conferences are automatically in. The 2 remaining teams would come from the highest ranking non BCS conferences or am independent like Notre Dame. In a rare case it is also possible for example to a have a conference to have co champions that have not played each other during the regular season and don't have a conference championship game. They would probaby be represented by the team with the highest ranking.

You would have a total of 7 games in the playoffs. Four in the first round, 2 in the second and then the championship game. Which ever bowls wanted to be included in the playoff would bid for the games, or they could rotate if they agree to that. The top 4 teams in the BCS rankings (from within the above framework) would play against the next 4 (remember they have to have won their conference). At least with this system every team in D1A would have a shot at the championship, as it is now if you are not in a BCS conference you can forget it, like Hawaii this year and Boise St and Utah in the past. Every team would have a least a chance, you win your games and you can get in.

So this year you would have something like this. (I am just guessing on which bowls would be involved) and the time frame. Some of the bowls would have to play a little earlier than they do now. network tv could also bid on the various games. Teams and bowls not in the playoff would do as they do now.

Then lets say the second round might look like this and be played around Dec. 29th.

post-4426-1197577642.jpg

I'm all in favor of a playoff system, but I'm not sure about letting only the conference champions into the game. What if a conference has 2 or more of the best teams in the country in it?

I'm ok with letting the BCS rank the top 8 teams. Then use those top 8 teams in a playoff where the #1 plays the #8 and so on. If LSU handles Ohio State fairly easily and one or two other BCS teams like OU or USC does the same, we could see a co champion this year.

post-4426-1197577642.jpg

I'm all in favor of a playoff system, but I'm not sure about letting only the conference champions into the game. What if a conference has 2 or more of the best teams in the country in it?

I'm ok with letting the BCS rank the top 8 teams. Then use those top 8 teams in a playoff where the #1 plays the #8 and so on. If LSU handles Ohio State fairly easily and one or two other BCS teams like OU or USC does the same, we could see a co champion this year.

what if LSU, Georgia, USC, and Oklahoma won their BCS games?

Georgia, USC, and Oklahoma will all feel that they deserve a part of the national championship

The next system has to include ALL the conferences and not just the ones that some people consider to to be the Elite Conferences. The US Congress will not allow another college football system to be enacted without them getting involved if it doesn't include all the conferences. Don't forget, your Senate Majority leader is from Nevada, he will get involved if the WAC or MWC is not added to a format that includes them. So with that said if there is ever a real playoff system it will have to include 16 teams, 11 automatic bids from all the Div 1 Conferences or whatever they call it these days and then you can have 5 at large bids for the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12.

I just don't understand how Div II and all the others...even high schools can do a playoff and Div 1 can't figure out how to make it work.

I don't buy the idea of dragging out the season being bad, because that's what the bowl games do now. With several bowl games after Jan 1, we are seeing numerous teams affected. At least with a playoff, half the teams drop out the first week. Only those teams that win keep going. In basketball, we have 64 teams entering the tourney. And people are whining about 16?

Just get a committee together to pick the teams. So people would whine because someone was #17 and didn't get in. So? That happens now with people whining because their RPI wasn't high enough to get into the big dance.

Win your conference and you are in, don't win and don't get a bid then just shut the hell up, win your conference....

:yeah

How yah doin' BB?

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

Been good TO, how are you and your family this fine holiday season? I was thinking about you the other day, it was 82 here....lol

I've been giving hell to some of those 'Bammer people :) Of course I do live in Alabama so this has been a constant everyday battle. I have been wearing my CU gear on a daily basis and everyday I get approached by some redneck wanting to bet me on the game, if I lose I will be homeless I have made so many bets...lol

Why not just settle the issue by getting rid of the National polls? The polls are what's broken, not the bowl games. Why not just have two conferences assigned to a bowl, they play all of their non-conference games against teams from the other conference and the two conference champions square off in the bowl. The Winner would be the "_____ Bowl " Champion.

We won't get a playoff for two reasons. The first is money. The other is commitment. I think the Big 10/Pac 10/Rose Bowl group have already said that their joining the BCS a few years ago was a LAST step toward a playoff not a FIRST. They think they've given up too much already. You have to have ALL the conferences on board or it won't work. So we might as well forget a playoff system. It ain't gonna happen. Not now, not next year, not ever.

But you CAN have two confernces aligned with a bowl...have them play all of their games within their own conference and against each other, each have a conference championship and send their champions to their Bowl Game. It accomplishes almost the same thing. You just have to settle for being Rose bowl Champion or Orange Bowl champion or whatever. That's all.

post-4426-1197577642.jpg

While sounds good there is one problem though. You can't ask people to make multiple road trips because a lot of students won't make it. I mean one bowl game probably is tough to make but going to 2 or more would be a tough sell. In Division 2 and 3 all the higher seeds they have home games. The only neutral site is the championship game. That is how it would have to be.